Did you read the whole Bible when you were a JW?

by outofthebox 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

The only time I can remember reading the entire bible was when it was read in the ministry school at the KH back in the early 50s or late 40s, can't remember the exact date. A portion would be read by a student each week and they would give some comments about what was read. I went by that old KH last week and it brought back some old memories, my dad laid the cinder blocks and I was married there the first time. It is being used as a church of some faith and the one I helped build is also. Most of the old KHs are used by the devil's advocates.

Ken P.

• uninformed
    uninformed

TWICE.

Brant

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes, but through the Society's filter.

I became curious as to why the Gospel of John was rarely used.

I read it in a different translation and found out why. The Gospel of John destroys any shred of credibility the WTS may have.

I left the Jehovah's Witnesses because of this.

Sylvia

• Gregor
    Gregor

Like start at Genesis and read every word all the way to Revelation? Hell, no. But I have probably read most of it over my lifetime. I remember the TM school would assign a weekly chunk to read and I believe this schedule would get one through the whole thing in about a year (?).

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I tried when I first became a witless, but there was so much other crap to do between boasting sessions and field circus that I only got as far as Numbers. And I never was able to integrate any of it in reality.

Now that I have fired the witlesses (and Jehovah HImself), I feel I understand the essence of the Bible better than while I was a witless. I see right in the Bible itself how God is nothing more than a Tyrant, and He glorifies killing and maiming people solely because they will not make the supreme sacrifice to that almighty louse.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I read the entire Bible several times when I was a witness and not just the New World Translation. I read the King James, the Douay version, the Living English version and I can't remember what other versions I've read and compared. I don't think any of the elders liked to hear that I was reading and using other translations of the Bible instead of the New World Translation, but then I told them how many society publications I've read where they've quoted scriptures from these other translations and I figured that if it was ok for the society to posess, read and research these other translations, it was ok for me, too. The book takes on a whole new meaning when you read it cover to cover. Imagine trying to read your favorite novel a paragraph or two at a time, and then read them out of order! The novel wouldn't make much sense and it would be boring and frustrating! I think every Christian should read the book, cover to cover. I wonder how many witnesses out there haven't read it cover to cover?? That would be an interesting statistic.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

With all the other, more important, cult requirements how could anyone find time to read the bible? I read more of it and had a better understanding of it after I quit the watchtower cult.

W

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I had attempted it several times, but I mostly skimmed over it and then put it down. By the time I picked it back up I had already forgotten what I had previously read and had to start all over. I think I got at least past Gen 1:1 LOL....

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Yes, I read the whole NWT version of the Bible through at least once. I've read several books more than once. I was often struck by how repetitive the Bible can be. It occurred to me while I was still a Witness that if the Bible were edited down to be more succinct, direct, and to-the-point, it would be a much shorter and easier read.

Dave

• bubble
    bubble

No I didn't but my grandfather read it 8 times. The last two times was whilst he was dying of lung cancer in hospital. What a waste of his final hours eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit