It Is Very Cruel of God....

by AllTimeJeff 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Whats the wait? Why the wait? BECAUSE THEIR IS NO GOOD REASON!

Touche! There is no good reason.

If it is the Ransom we are waiting on, that was repaid 1/3 of Biblical human history ago.

Is it because God needed a 7000 year rest day? I doubt a omipotent God really needs to rest so much he needs to let billions suffer.

Is it because God wanted us to prove we cannot rule without him. Apparently that was settled 3000 years ago, as Scripture already declared that "man cannot direct his step". Certainly, few humans in their right mind claim that humans will ever eradicate death.

Is it because we are placed on earth to learn prior to everlasting life. What should we learn about suffering if a benelovent God originally purposed man to live in perfection.

These standard Christian answers, the best that can be presented, are weak excuses for what has no answer.

• ohiocowboy
  • tijkmo
    tijkmo

interesting list

although not sure why this one is there

Joseph interprets the baker's dream. He says that the pharaoh will cut off the baker's head, and hang his headless body on a tree for the birds to eat. 40:19
  • hillary_step
    hillary_step

Ohiocowboy,

Yes, quite a collection of cruel, disgusting bigotry in that list of Biblical and "Godly" excesses.

I find it ironic that many who defend the primitive and barbaric excesses described in the Bible as ordained by their God are disgusted at the primitive and barbaric radical Muslims who engage in such identical excesses as we speak.

They defend their position by claiming that 'we have grown up' and do not do such untidy things anymore, overlooking the fact that these behaviors were supposedly ordained by their God, presumably before he 'grew up', and viewed as perfectly acceptable, even superior behavior.

The reality is that the excesses of radical Muslims are very much in step with the sentiments expressed in the Bible in times past. As such, in condemning radical Muslims as cruel and barbaric, they should also be condemning large parts of the Old Testament its God as cruel and barbaric.

HS

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

While ATJeff and Lore have ably covered most everything I might bring to the table, allow me to indulge myself...

I think first you need to establish that each and every instance of suffering is directly caused by God rather than the interaction of natural forces with freely willed beings...

The implication appears to be we can only blame an all-powerful, all-seeeing, all-knowing God for those actions he takes himself. However, we must include not only what he does in "the game", but also tak Him into account for creating "the game". We can liken it to product liability.

The same for letting a baby play with "the shiny thing" that turns out to be a knife - it is a parent's responsibility to child-proof a home, not provide ready access to knives.

Is God a Sadist? One might conclude so.

Some might even maintain that suffering makes pleasure even better, and thus be required for the state of affairs with the most good.

This would make us Masochists to God's Sadism. While an interesting postulation, upon examination it reveals an underpinning that enjoys seeing suffering. As another poster brought up: Heaven, usually described as a place of perfect bliss, has no such dichotomy (unless we include the more recently invented Hell - must we conclude that Angels only appreciate God's presence because they know they can be sent to Hell?).

For those that have faith, suffering is redemptive.

Sounds Masochistic to me. It calls for humans to value being traumatized. It harkens to Stockholm syndrome.

So you are setting God's standards?

No more so than the person who claims God's goodness. Since we are made in His image, and have inherited the condition of knowing right from wrong, then of course we can. The only other alternative is that we cannot relate to Him at all, and therefore ALL discussion about him and his wants are irrelevent.

All things in the end are turned to good.

How is the victim of a rape turned to good? At what point will this occur? Do we not instead see ample evidence that victims of violence are often instead scarred for life? What should be said, "I don't know why God chose to let this happen, why he ignored your prayers, but it's for your own good?"

Like I said before, God punishes the rapist. "The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly small"

Oh, we then should tell the victims of rape, "Maybe your rapist will never get punished here on Earth, you may never see or know what God will do to him, but rest assured eventually something somewhere in the afterlife will be done?"

And doesn't that make God out to be an even bigger monster - he'll allow the rapist to have a happy life, raping many throughout his life, and then he will perhaps toss the rapist into Hell for eternity - is that what is being said? This sounds much more like a vindictive human attitude rather than a good God. Is this the best He could come up with?

I don't judge him to be good. I know he is!

I simply don't understand what that means. Faith flying against evidence?

Yet you want me to make no claim at all? Silly rabbit.

If you cannot substantiate a claim, and have already admitted to not having enough information, then of course making no claim at all is the best course of action.

If God does not exist, then all of our existence, including our suffering and pain, has no value, no purpose and no goal.

This has been well answered. If God does not exist, then it becomes our responsibility to make things better. Why would anyone mandate God's existence to make life worth living? If I add God into the equation, in what why does life suddenly get imbued with value, purpose, a goal?

If God is cruel, then to our suffering and despair we must add the spectre of divine sadism.

True. If God exists, he is cruel (historically in the OT and in the present); if God is cruel, we are in a sadistic game.

But what if God does not exist? Or, what if He isn't what the Christian paradigm proposes? What if all the religious had to stop hiding behind the skirts of what they say God demands of them?

Welcome to "the bigs".

There can be no absolute, eternal value such as "good".

True, and further the "good" sense of satisfaction in following all the commandments (per se) is hollow.

"Good" then comes from seeing the consequences of our actions when we alleviate the suffering of others.

well according to a scripture in peter it is because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentence. so the longer he allows the system to continue the more people can become jws and get everlasting life.

The only thing I would add is that it's all been a moot exercise. The all-powerful, all-seeing, all-knowing God that knows each of our hearts already knew at the start the outcome of any such game. The only need to let it play out would be the sadistic pleasure of punishing the wicked.

• besty
    besty

THEISTS

ATHEISTS

Sorry the misspelling really bugs me :-)

Now back to solving the worlds biggest philosophical issues ....

• ziddina
    ziddina

Bumping a very good, vintage thread by All Time Jeff...

And adding this YouTube video by a poster named "DrGiggles68", who has some excellent videos posted on the so-called "pagan" origins of the mythology plagiarized by the bible writers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyo9tMcfYSI

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit