"Secret" or "Members Only" Watchtower available for download

by grassyknoll07 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    That is really neat. The online MP3 recordings are a replacement for the WT and Awake audio tapes. They are cutting costs. I am surprised that they aren't making the magazines available in PDF format for home printing.

PO's Son - I am surprised too - especially as local congregations have been told not to place literature unless they feel that the householder is going to read it.

I think the audio only format IS a way of hiding it. Only people really interrested are going to listen - you cant SKIM an audio file. Also - you can't SEARCH an audio file. Also check for sumliminal messages in those audio files

Missing Link - Firstly, nice hidden message Secondly, I agree - it is much harder for apostates to highlight the difference in Audio files as opposed to paper articles. Given that many Witnesses will only accept original literature to compare, this makes it harder to prove that a talk is genuine. I also think that this is a way to appeal to the "Yoof Market" - download a talk, pop it on your Mp3 player - It's Watchtower MTV.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I suggest that each and every member of the board downloads the magazines several times since I guess they pay their Webhosting by volume...

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I agree on the cost cutting.

Isaac

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I posted on the study edition here http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/146227/1.ashx

Consider how many hoops you have to go through to get this.Download Audio only? This isn't accesability or transparancy. By putting it in audio format, they make it much more difficult to be quoted. They can also say that they are making their study edition available to the public. I think it is a PR step, and pretty cynical at that.

My opinion has and continues to be that this study edition is a first step in a game of chess that the GB is destined to lose. Consider the fact that they have waited to change their understanding of a "generation" again until after the study edition came out. It isn't available for distribution to the press. Remeber that when the "generation" changed in 95, TIME magazine had a sidebar by their religous reporter, and it included some comments by Ray Franz. Can't get that kind of publicity now can they?

So now they wait for everyone to get used to the Study Edition, THEN (greek, Tote.. lol) they will start to put some more weird stuff in it. Trust me, it is GB policy. They make changes pretty slowly to keep the "apostates" at bay.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

The less accessable they make their literature, the more members they lose on the inside and the fewer they will recruit. The ones on the fringe will find being a JW more of a chore and question the whole "truth" theory. The ones who may show interest in being a JW will also find it not worth it because of all the cloak and dagger moves the Watchtower Society makes.

I like it! Keep making your litterature harder to get Watchtower! Maybe one of these days it will be impossible to get!

• Guest39
    Guest39

I don't have the software, but couldn't the mp3 file be re-routed through something like Dragon Naturally Speaking(tm) to create a Word(tm) document?

• proplog2
    proplog2

They have also put their website in bold print on the back of the Watchtower. I think it is still about a 7point font.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Have to agree that making audio editions publicly available is just a PR move. Though also a cost-cutting measure, cheaper than the cassettes. I wonder how many JW's that get the cassettes will switch to MP3's?

I don't think technology exists yet to take an audio file and convert it to text. Dragon requires you to train it first to YOUR voice. So sending random voices through it wouldn't work.

Dave

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    I don't think technology exists yet to take an audio file and convert it to text. Dragon requires you to train it first to YOUR voice. So sending random voices through it wouldn't work.

Dragon does require some training - but there is some generic software out there.

It is fairly slow (the slower the software works, the more accurate it is). I used this type of software to transcribe a talk from the 1970s - it wasn't very accurate as it didn't understand the WT jargon.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

It is interesting that the only ones fulfilling Matthew 24:14 put this into their term of use:

Terms of Use

Site visitors may download copyrighted materials for their personal, non-commercial use only. By downloading such materials from this site, visitors agree not to post these materials on any electronic network, redistribute them without written permission, or share these materials in exchange for money, even if no profit is involved. Site visitors may not modify, publish, or participate in the transfer or sale of any of the content, in whole or in part.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit