Where is the best place to live in South Florida?

by averyniceguy 37 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I lived in the Fort Myers area and it was the worst year of my life. Granted, personal circumstances played into this - but regardless what I saw in Florida was the most demoralizing sprawl, plastic, empty, culture-less landscape. I would rather live almost anywhere in the US than Florida.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

what I saw in Florida was the most demoralizing sprawl, plastic, empty, culture-less landscape

Yes Daniel, unless you are retired, it is not an interesting place on the Gulf Coast of Florida.

In the summer, it seems so empty unless you are counting the blue-hairs driving at 35mph in the left lane of a highway with their turn signals flashing (sorry if that offended anyone).

Rub a Dub

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Yea..the strip mall with alternating Publix and Winn-Dixie on every third corner gets a little old.

When I got to PB county Lantana road turned to gravel out past Congress..the "Trail" was 2 lanes with folks selling 'maters on corn in front of their houses and the Boynton Beach Mall was a dairy farm. We used to herd cattle back to pasture from the road now and then...

When I left all the roads were 4 lane minimum and it took an hour or more to get from Yamato Road to Belvedere (mid-day, mind you) on '95

But those who arrive from the NYC-DC corridor (to take the special elderly driving schools) think Tri-counties is country living at it's finest.

~Hill

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This is the best thread ever. I hate Florida with a passion but always thought I was the only one who felt that way.

Because people knew Iived in Florida they would always talk about wanting to move down to "paradise." I could never convey the reasons why florida is such a horrible place in terms that they understood.

But my faith in humanity is restored. All have articulated in very real terms how horrible Florida is.

BTW, if anyone wants to buy a Condo in Ft Laud, let me know. It is wonderful down there....

• ronin1
    ronin1

NY44M:

Are you then going to try to sell us the 'Brooklyn Bridge'?

Ronin1

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

NY44M:

Are you then going to try to sell us the 'Brooklyn Bridge'?

Name your price, I can get you a really good deal.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Everyone just reminded me of 2 more drawbacks.

Cock roaches the size of your thumb (called Palmetto bugs)....they can walk away with a dinner plate

The central part of Florida now is about 50% spanish speaking. Forget about making inquiries on the phone to any retail store. I think the term for the language is called Spanglish. 1/2 english-1/2 spanish.

r.

WARNING: PALMETTO PICTURE BELOW!!!!!!!!! (LARGEST ONE) DON'T LOOK IF YOU HATE BUGS.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greeting restrangled,

I've enjoyed your candor about Florida, that you've posted recently and in the past. Your experience and description(s) in living there are ones I'd take great stock in, were I to consider moving there. You sure don't "candy-coat" life in Florida like so many have. Thanks.

Dismembered

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit