Where is the best place to live in South Florida?

by averyniceguy 37 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    We are planning on moving back up North, possibly NC or back to NY.

This is a very typical pattern.

(1) Move from a northern state to Florida to get away from the cold

(2) Find that everything discussed here is true - expense, bugs, traffic, jobs, taxes, insurance and etc.

(2) Move to NC, SC, or TN because where you came from is too cold

(3) Live happily ever after - or something like that.

I am back in NYC but still have a condo in FL that I can't sell. If you want a good deal, give me a call.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

after 13 years in the WPB-LakeWorth area I decided I was part of the problem and left.

I got tired of explaining why the "lady" at the corner was leaning into that mans car to a 5 year old. Too much traffic, too many "naked ballet houses" too many Otis O'tooles...

~Hill

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

We live in the Miami Ft-Lauderdale area and personally, Southeast Florida is the only part of the state I would live in (ok, maybe down in the Keys but that's for another discussion).

Being originally from the the New York/CT area, the traffic is no worse here than any other major city.

Being in the Southeast corner along the ocean, the weather is surprising moderate. This year, the highest temperature was 96 I believe. Most people would not believe that in recorded history it has never reached 100 degrees in Miami (ok, ok, it's like 87-91 every day from May through October but that's about as hot as it gets ... very stable). It can be humid also, but keep in mind that down here we typically get a breeze off the ocean which also helps to moderate the temperature and make it far more bearable that other areas.

Now if you go north or inland, all bets are off. I don't know how people can live in places like Orlando or other places away from the ocean. The heat is unbearable. On the Gulf side of Florida (Tampa, Ft Myers) it's just hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter than here in the southeast part of the state.

I would rather work at the local mini-mart selling tampons and toilet paper than move back to the Northeast.

Rub a Dub

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I would live in the Miami area in a heartbeat!

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

i like the cape coral/sanibel island area for a vaction.its a nice break from the glacial winters here..actualy am looking for a rental for the first week of march right now..need a pool and hot tub..anyone know any???..the traffic IS amazing,but the weather is great and the beaches are excellent if you take the extra time to find a less crowded one.i lived in the panhandle for a winter..loved it but had some trouble w.spiders and snakes..and crazy rednecks following my car..{out of state plates}?id never spend the summer anywhere but where i live now.cant imagine subjecting myself to a florida summer..gahhhhh...

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I would live in the Miami area in a heartbeat!

Lonelysheep ...

Yes, if you are going to live somewhere it's a great place to be .... EXCEPT TODAY .... after December being generally in the 80's every day, we are having a COLD (for us) day today .. high of about 62 with a chance of breaking the all time record tonight of 38. Cold again on Thursday and not getting back to the upper 70's until the weekend.

I guess we each have to bear our own burdens.

Rub a Dub

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

By far the Keys are the best part of Florida, but you have to a special type of person to actually live down there. Personally I have lived in Hollywood, Fl almost all my life and it is a pretty good place to live. My wife says that she hates it down here because the people are rude and it's too hot for too long. She has been angling for a VA, D.C move for years but for now, I am firmly planted as a South Floridian.

P.S- I hate going to Miami/Dade county, it's like another country down there.

Much brotherly love,

The Cape

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

do they still let the chicas sell hot dogs on the road side down there?

That and Spring Training -minor leauge baseball are the only things that would get me back to SF

~Hill

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

P.S- I hate going to Miami/Dade county, it's like another country down there.

Much brotherly love,

The Cape

Clayton ... LMAO

I guess I did forget to mention to others that unless you speak Spanish here in the Miami area that you are screwed.

Well, my wife is originally from Columbia and I just decided after being here for 2 months that I had better learn the language or move "up the road" a bit. After taking some classes and reminding my wife to speak to me in Spanish, it all came together rather well.

Anyway, tenga un buen dia.

Rub a Dub

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

about 20 years ago I was in 7-11 in one of the better Miami 'hoods. Two cats, speaking spanish, were planning aloud to take me by the dumpsters and do somthing with my rusty sherrifs star (rough translation)

I look about as Anglo as they come...but I speak enough "cowboy mexican" to understand what they had in mind.

Showing a cocked and locked Colt 1911 must be a universal code..............

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit