Where is the best place to live in South Florida?

by averyniceguy 37 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

My daughter moved from Pittsburgh to Fort Myers in 2001 and she LOVES it there. I have gone there many times to visit her, but the only way I could live in Florida is if I had about 3 times the income I have now. Unless I could live right by the Gulf and enjoy the "good life", Florida is not for me. There are way too many people there and from October to April, the Gerotol Generation do nothing but clog the highways and cause far too many accidents. Florida has more drivers over the age of 90 than any other state. Then there is the summer heat and humidity. If you don't mind being cooped up in air conditioning 24 hours a day, you can deal with it. Personally I like my windows open and being outside. I'll stick to the seasons and my hills here in Western Pennsylvania and ocassionally go to Florida to see my daughter. If she didn't live there, I would never go to Florida again.

Cost of living is higher too! Real Estate costs are ridiculous. The same house I can buy in the Pittsburgh area for $85,000 will cost about $185,000 in Fort Myers and about $225,000 in Naples.

HappyDad

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

wasn't averyniceguy scolded for asking for peoples real names?

• DJK
    DJK

Last month my daughter left Fort Meyers and came back home to Mass. She had a good job with a company that's going under. The next best job, and employment is scarce, paid only 30k a year.

If your retired and finacially well off, Fort Meyers is a very nice area.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

You will love or hate Florida depending upon what you want in life. You can get a good deal on a house or condo because the real estate bubble hit really hard in Florida. Unfortunataly, you will find property taxes and home owners insurance very expensive. There is no state and local income tax so the state places a significant burden on property owners for tax purposes. Hurricanes and threat of hurricanes make insurance very expensive. It is not unusual to pay $5,000 per year for a 2-3 bedroom house even if it is inland.

Traffic is horrible and summers are miserable. Also, Florida is not the place you want to be if you want to have a career. The State is geared for low paying service industry jobs.

I lived in South Florida 20+ years both West coast and East Coast. I like going as a visitor but will NEVER live there again.

Good luck but go prepared. Visit Florida mid August and drive around during rush hour. This will help with your decision.

• ronin1
    ronin1

Hi NY44M:

We moved from NYC to South Florida four years ago and regret ever making that move.

We lived in Hollywood, FL (not too bad) and then now in Boynton Beach.

Everything you said is true and much more.

We are planning on moving back up North, possibly NC or back to NY.

Ronin1

• juni
    juni

I would have to agree w/newyork. Nice place to visit, but they don't call it the "land of starvation wages" for nothing. I do believe if you work as a medical professional it's pretty good wages, otherwise not good. There's not cheap housing as there once was. I know of several people who live there during the winter and have a second home in the north because of the hot summers.

• restrangled
    restrangled

As a Florida home owner since 1988, I am going to suggest you look else where. (20 years in June)!

To repeat many posts here....a great place to vacation..but not a great place to live.Our property values have trippled even in this bad market. The homes are not built like up north...(I am from Chicago) we sold a custom built home with Anderson Windows, rock solid contruction, hard wood floors, etc.in Chitown.

We bought a home in Florida built in 1979 not able to withstand a hurricane, cement floors covered in carpet..cheap, cheap, cheap in every direction and yet considered higher standard than most on the market here.

Because of extensive lightening the copper piping developed pin holes and had to be replaced.....mildew will cover every possible surface, landscaping is some of the most costly you will ever encounter, maintaining a pool is the most maddening experience do to chemicals, vacuuming, and need of new filters.

I will repeat, visit, but don't buy here......eventually we will be out of here!

PS...worst traffic in the US!

r.

• juni
    juni
    mildew will cover every possible surface

I forgot about that issue r....

• Honesty
    Honesty

I lived and owned a business in Central Florida for 13 years between Orlando and Daytona Beach.

I don't recommend Florida for anyone because:

April - September:

Heat, Humidity, Mold, Big Bugs, Traffic

October - March

Wet and cold, Mold, Traffic

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I lived in Florida for 1 1/2 years, it just didnt feel like home to me. It was way too crowded, and the crime was awful. Lots of crackhouses and car jackings. This was the Tampa area.

St.Augustine seemed like a good area though.

As for South Florida, way too much crime, and if you want to live in a relatively safe area, you better have a wheelbarrow full of money.

The panhandle seemed OK.

Florida does have bad traffic, but nothing compares to the Pigeon Forge traffic here in Tennessee, Atlanta does come in a close second though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit