Were you able to say "Merry Christmas" ?

by OnTheWayOut 20 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I also have a distant relative in her old age. I can't confide in her about my
    no longer believing the JW's have the truth. She would forget to maintain my
    confidence. She asked me this year, "I am not supposed to send you a
    Christmas card, right?"

I said she could send whatever she wanted, I would not be offended, but
    I don't send out Christmas cards.

Her answer: "Well, I won't send the Christmas card, but I will send you
    HAPPY NEW YEAR cards only."

She didn't understand JW's, which is a difficult thing to do. Jews and other
    non-Christians will wish others a Merry or Happy whatever. JW's are just so
    weird.

• minimus
    minimus

This year, I'm saying it with more ease than last year. Funny, that you pick up on this. We have been so indoctrinated that it's sometimes indiscernible unless the issue is raised.

• RR
    RR

no problem here!

• free2think
    free2think

I started saying Merry Christmas about 5 days before and i usually initiated it.

It felt so good to be able to say it openly as last year i still felt a little like 'should i or shouldnt i?'

• Thinking of Leaving
    Thinking of Leaving

I thought I was the only one who had trouble saying it back. I find it so hard, usually end up saying thank you like we had been thought to say.

• Purza
    Purza

I have a hard time saying it. And I also have trouble singing Happy Birthday.

Basically I would say "same to you" or "happy holidays".

That mind control sh*t is hard to over come.

Purza

• Dagney
    Dagney

I've been saying "Happy Holidays" for years, even before I left. I figured, I really did wish them a "Happy Holiday" so why not say it!

This year I made the big step (sigh) to "Merry Christmas," but it doesn't come easily. In time it will I'm sure.

• zamora251978
    zamora251978

had a hard trouble saying it last year. not this year.

lulu

• KeepinSane
    KeepinSane

I'm on year number three...It gets easier with each passing year.

j

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Looking back, I am inclined to admit that right after leaving the WTS (eight years ago) I said it as a form of rebellion, but NOW when I say it.....often and loud....and anywhere....it is with great joy, love and happiness that I CAN say it and WHOSE birthday I am reminding others about.

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit