Were you able to say "Merry Christmas" ?

by OnTheWayOut 20 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This is my first Christmas following the complete fade, but I have to maintain the fade.
    Hence, I have been uncomfortable with saying "Merry Christmas." The closest I have
    come this year is "Same to you" and "Enjoy your holiday."

How are you doing with "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or others?

Do you initiate it, or respond in kind when others wish you a merry christmas?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I always try to say "Merry Christmas" when out in public this time of year.

I can understand you not saying it, as someone from the Hall could be overhearing you.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I said Merry Christmas to anyone within earshot. And over and over to my family. I ran into Witnesses at Walmart when I was buying garland and lights, didn't care a bit.

Happy New Year!!!

momz

• anewme
    anewme

I too had trouble saying "Merry Christmas" at first. I wondered just how far I would assimilate back into the world. For a time I was in a limbo of sorts, not belonging any longer in the witness world, and neither feeling comfortable in the real world.

Over time, (six years) I have resolved it all in my heart and mind I guess.

I do wish peace and happiness to all, witness and non-witness alike, and so I could say "Whatever floats your boat!" to people, but that would not be kind. So "Merry Christmas!" seems like the nicest thing to say to people who are celebrating it.

I am living with people who celebrate it, so I did put up a tree and decorate with red bows and greenery.
    I took the lead at work even and decorated our back employee room for the holiday. Why not? I felt if we were going to celebrate we should do it up right.
    But in the back of my mind I feel it is all a mistake, a misunderstanding of truth somehow.
    I am not sure of anything anymore.

But one thing I do believe in .....supporting others and offering hope and courage during these difficult days.

The Humbugs of the world are such downers and offer nothing to cheer the soul.
    So I have cast my lot with the celebrants of happy holidays.
    What and who does it hurt? Jehovah?

"Whatever floats your boat!"

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I still find that hard. I've been saying it to my friends for a couple of years now, but it still doesn't just roll off the tongue easily.

This was the first year my brother and sister in law and their family were out and we celebrated together, it was strange saying it to them for some reason. My sister in law was so happy she was saying it to anybody and everybody! lol (She wasn't raised a JW, so it's easier for her I think.)

BB

• Maddie
    Maddie

I did say Merry Christmas to lots of people and tried to push any JW indoctrination from my mind. There is a slight niggle about saying it but I won't let it get the better of me.

Maddie

• justhuman
    justhuman

For sure I did it this morning...

• ninja
    ninja

I couldn't bring myself to say it so substituted words....."hairy biscuits" everyone

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

After the pedophile expose, that made me embarrassed not to say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy birthday" when appropriate. At least, if I said it, I would not be associated with those je-cockroach-jizz-hovah's witlesses that molest children and then silence them. In fact, I would be more embarrassed to be thought of as a pedophile witless than to be caught by a witless buying Christmas garland and lights.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    The closest I have come this year is "Same to you" and "Enjoy your holiday."

Same here. But this year I didn't toss all the christmas cards I received. I put them up and set out the gifts I had been given. It felt very nice and looked very merry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit