Climate Change. Yes the science is settled.

by mavie 137 Replies latest social current

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Are you kidding? Do you logically believe for a moment that those emissions are not harmful? It doesn't need to be proven conclusively my dear friend, it just needs to be an plausible possibility for us to take it seriously and work on reducing our emissions.

If you want to reduce your carbon emissions, go ahead! I am not stopping you! You have every right to live as you want! However, don't force me or others like me to do the same when we do not find the possibility "plausible".

The possibility that these emissions are causing at least partially the damage to the ice caps, etc. Is enough to warrant caution and action. Do you agree with that?

No, I do not. Not to mention that the only credible action would have to be on a scale that would cause all kinds of problems and unintended consequences.

My job as a human being isn't to find out which is right, its to look at the worst case scenario and say, if that has the possibility of being correct, then what do I need to do, to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

But how possible would it have to be? One percent? Twenty percent? Fifty percent?

It's that simple really, at least IMO.

If it only it was that simple Sweetie.

Burn

• brinjen
    brinjen
    To act on the scale they require would scrap our economies and destroy a large part of our wealth along with an attendant increase in human suffering and ecological destruction. To incorrectly ascribe global warming to human causes is counterproductive if the true goal is to protect the environment.

No, it doesn't involve scrapping our economies or destroying a large part of our wealth. There are better alternatives out there, but we've been so hung up on coal and oil we just haven't bothered to see these alternatives to their full potential. Why aren't we still in the stone age? Because we saw something better and we went for it, same thing here.

Just a couple of ideas here, they're not scientists, they don't have millions of dollars at their disposal, imagine if those that do thought like this:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s1477102.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s1794038.htm

Just a thought, what are we going to do when the oil runs out?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Just a thought, what are we going to do when the oil runs out?

Well, thats a whole 'nother ballgame isn't it?

I happen to agree that we need to agressively develop alternatives to conventional oil. We've got plenty of coal domestically, fortunately.

This is the best site on the web dealing with the subject of Peak Oil:

http://theoildrum.com/

Burn

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

There is of course NO SINGLE ANSWER. It needs conservation, diversification, recycling and new technology

• brinjen
    brinjen

Why coal? Why not something that doesn't cause pollution and is completely re-newable?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why aren't we still in the stone age? Because we saw something better and we went for it, same thing here.

The problem is that their is nothing better than oil as a transportation fuel. It is the transportation fuel par excellence. If there was something better available, we would be using it already. People buy the best product they can get.

Think about it. A gallon will drive a 2 ton vehicle at high speeds nearly 20 miles. Try just pushing that same vehicle 100 feet and you will realize how much energy is contained in a relatively small volume. There is not inexpensive transportation fuel available that is as energy dense and as easy to transport to markets.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why coal? Why not something that doesn't cause pollution and is completely re-newable?

Like what? What zero polluting (there is no such thing as a zero pollution energy source) and renewable energy generation method exists that can replace hydrocarbons?

There isn't any.

Burn.

• brinjen
  • sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    Are you kidding? Do you logically believe for a moment that those emissions are not harmful? It doesn't need to be proven conclusively my dear friend, it just needs to be an plausible possibility for us to take it seriously and work on reducing our emissions.
    The possibility that these emissions are causing at least partially the damage to the ice caps, etc. Is enough to warrant caution and action. Do you agree with that?

No, I do not. Not to mention that the only credible action would have to be on a scale that would cause all kinds of problems and unintended consequences.

My job as a human being isn't to find out which is right, its to look at the worst case scenario and say, if that has the possibility of being correct, then what do I need to do, to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

But how possible would it have to be? One percent? Twenty percent? Fifty percent?

It's that simple really, at least IMO.

Burn

If you want to reduce your carbon emissions, go ahead! I am not stopping you! You have every right to live as you want! However, don't force me or others like me to do the same when we do not find the possibility "plausible".

I am not into forcing anyone into anything. I never suggested that in any shape or form.

You are free to do nothing, that's your choice. What possible unintended negative consequences could result from people choosing to be pro-active about global warming? Do clarify please.

For me personally, if the result of that possibility was dire in nature (i.e. severe weather changes), percentages don't apply. It's better to error on the side of caution than to error on the side of ignorance, IMO.

Sweetie?? Oh boy, I'm going to let that pass, just this once Obi Wan. LOL

And it is that simple, in life you have two choices, do nothing or do something. Regardless of the situation at hand, those are your options. You are free to choose as is anyone, which you will do based on your stance in said situation. If more people acted in a positive manner instead of debating whether or not to act, the world would be in much better shape than it is, on a plethora of levels.

While the "intellectual giants" sit on their arses and debate the fate the world, some of us mere mortals choose to act toward positive change that can only increase the possibility of a better world down the road. Call that naive, call that being "fear mongered", whatever you will, but one thing you cannot call it is being paralyzed into inaction and thus contributing nothing towards a brighter future.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

While the "intellectual giants" sit on their arses and debate the fate the world, some of us mere mortals choose to act toward positive change that can only increase the possibility of a better world down the road. Call that naive, call that being "fear mongered", whatever you will, but one thing you cannot call it is being paralyzed into inaction and thus contributing nothing towards a brighter future.

Sounds religious to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit