Climate Change. Yes the science is settled.

by mavie 137 Replies latest social current

• mavie
    mavie

The science is settled. Special interests do not want you to think that it is.

"In a candid memo about political strategy for Republican leaders, pollster Frank Luntz expressed concern that voters might punish candidates who supported more pollution, but he offered advice on the key tactic for defusing the issue: "Should the public come to believe that the scientific issues are settled, their views about global warming will change accordingly. Therefore, you need to continue to make the lack of scientific certainty a primary issue in the debate..." (The Assault On Reason, Al Gore, pg 200) (Frank Luntz, as quoted by Isaac Chotiner, "Frank Luntz's Tarnished Legacy,", The New Republic, January 29, 2007.)

• 5go
    5go

Anti Global Warming types are just like Inteligent Design types. They have been prooved wrong again and again and yet they still try to say there are credible scienist that agree with them. Also there is other possible theories to what is going on.

Sorry, but no there is not one credible scientist left that agrees with the Anti-Global crowd. Also all the theories have been looked at, and man made Global Warming holds up the best after all the tests are done.

• carla
    carla

"no there is not one credible scientist left that agrees" -- So the scientist who refused to accept the Nobel Prize with Gore because Gore twisted his research is not credible? If the scientist who was trained would have agreed with a politician who has no scientific training, would he then be 'credible'? The same politician who goes around the county telling us little folk to reduce our carbon footprint who used more in one month (last Aug) than the average American family uses in an entire year? that politician?

I would suggest you research just how many scientists are actually jumping off the entirely manmade global warming bandwagon.

• 5go
    5go
    I would suggest you research just how many scientists are actually jumping off the entirely manmade global warming bandwagon.

I am not the one saying it put up, or shut up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize

And you are Lying sir about the other guy refusing the nobel prize do to the fact the another guy is a panel of men from the UN.

2007Intergovernmental Panel
    on Climate Change

Albert Arnold (Al) Gore, Jr.United Nations
    United States"for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change."
  • 5go
    5go

I would suggest any that believes anyone who would tell such an obvious lie. Go do better research themselves, and seek better sources of knowledge. It took me five minutes of research to refute that one lie which sounded funny to begin with.

• 5go
    5go

Al Gore, UN climate body to receive 2007 Nobel Peace Prize
    10 Dec 2007, 0712 hrs IST,AFP

Print Save EMail Write to Editor
    OSLO: Former US vice-president Al Gore and the UN's top climate panel will receive the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo on Monday for their work to help combat global warming.

Later in the day in Stockholm, the winners of the literature, medicine, physics, chemistry and economics prizes will receive their awards.

Gore, 59, and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) -- a United Nations body of about 3,000 experts -- are being honoured for their work "to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change."

Gore, who has reinvented himself as a climate warrior since failing in his bid to become US president in 2000, told reporters in Oslo on Sunday that global warming was "posing a great unprecedented threat to the future of our civilization."

Both he and IPCC chairman Rajendra Pachauri, who will accept the prize on behalf of his organisation, were nonetheless optimistic about the prospects of a global effort to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide, which most experts now agree is causing the planet's atmosphere to heat up.

Delegates from nearly 190 nations are gathered for the December 3-14 summit in Bali which is tasked with laying the groundwork for a new treaty to tackle global warming beyond 2012, when the Kyoto Protocol's first phase expires.

"The signals that came from the leaders (gathered in Bali) were very clear and uniformly so: that the time for doubting the signs is over. What we need now is action," Pachauri said on Sunday.

Gore, whose film An Inconvenient Truth won him an Oscar earlier this year, meanwhile emphasised the link between the fight against climate change and peace.

"The increasing struggle for declining natural resources like water leads to the increased potential for conflict," he said as he arrived in the Norwegian capital on Friday.

Announcing the prize on October 12, Ole Mjoes, head of the five-member Nobel committee, said Gore was "probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted."

The former US vice-president and the IPCC will receive the prize, consisting of a Nobel diploma, a gold medal and 10 million Swedish kronor (1.5 million dollars, 1.1 million euros) to be split between them at a formal ceremony in Oslo's city hall at 1:00 pm (1200 GMT).

The Nobel committee's decision to award the peace prize to climate campaigners continues the trend of broadening its scope beyond the traditional fields of conflict prevention and resolution and disarmament.

Gore said Sunday that winning the Nobel prize had helped focus more of the world's attention on the dangers of global warming, which many experts say is causing sea levels to rise and changing weather patterns in a way that could wreak havoc on world ecosystems and all of humankind.

"The respect afforded this process has already resulted in increased attention to the importance of getting on with solving the crisis of the climate," he said.

At a separate ceremony on Monday -- the anniversary of the death of prize founder Alfred Nobel -- the winners of the literature, medicine, physics, chemistry and economics prizes will receive their awards from Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf in Stockholm's Concert Hall.

That ceremony will be followed by a gala banquet at Stockholm's city hall.
  • 5go
    5go

BTW what is your scientist name if you are going to use him I bet you don't know it.

I do though. I also have the dirt on him.

• mavie
    mavie

Carla, Gore is raising awareness. If he emits more greenhouse gas in one month than an entire American family over a year, how is that relevant? Have you considered how many people and businesses he is reaching with the facts and thereby causing them to reduce their emissions? Do you think it would add up to one American family over the course of a year?

The facts are in, the science is settled. Climate change is happening now. For those that don't want to listen to 4 increasingly alarming UN reports I have a question. What is your motive?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I have to admit that I was beginning to bend under some of the propaganda put out by the anti-warming crowd. I guess it's due to my backlash against apocalyptic proclamations.

- until last week, when I helped my daughter write an essay on global warming. The arguments in favour were well researched, logical, and credible. The arguments against were almost universally crackpot in nature. I only found one or two sources who were capable of making a rational argument against global warming. I was also struck by the similarity of their logic to the ID movement.

• metatron
    metatron

The problem with global warming is the atmosphere of hysteria that surrounds it. Threats need to be assessed rationally.

I would like to see a formal international effort to monitor near earth asteroids first, before we begin to worry about global warming.

Also, statements about "special interests" are simply ad hominem arguments, thinly disguised. Nor are all of these "interests"

on one side as nuclear power advocates and industries that wish their theorized carbon credits made into wealth, favor a zealous

approach to the warming issue.

I do agree, however, that the power of the oil industry is so pervasive, that exaggerations may be justified to reduce their influence on

the world.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit