New Experience: I went to a Christmas service at a church Monday night....

by WingCommander 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• silversurfer1
    silversurfer1

I'm glad you really enjoyed this first experience at a church service. I too was nervous upon accepting an iniatial invitation to attend a Sunday service by a friend/co-worker. My fear was soon replaced by a feeling of being misled, misinformed and hurt as I observed before me something totally different than what I thought I would see. Those feelings were soon replaced with joy and appreciation for God. I was crying midway through the service to the end. Beautiful praise music song by people who did not need a song book as they sang from their hearts and knew the words by heart. There must have been a half dozen prayers offered though out the service. The fellowship was more loving than anything I'd know for the most part in my 35 plus years with the JW's. For the first time it felt like I was really worshipping and praising God. It's very exciting to read of your venture. I hope you enjoy many more moving and enlightning services that praise our Heavenly Father and His Son.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    My fear was soon replaced by a feeling of being misled, misinformed and hurt as I observed before me something totally different than what I thought I would see. Those feelings were soon replaced with joy and appreciation for God. I was crying midway through the service to the end.

This was my experience also. I began to feel a lump in my throat that blossomed into a full blown sobbing before I was done.....SO MANY emotions all collided together, but it was a great release and and an awesome thing to remember for the rest of my life.

Wing Commander....I am just thrilled to hear that you and others have found this joy in Christ for themselves, and are able to dismiss all the hideousness that the WTS labels and boasts about as their "pure worship".

hugs,

Annie

• Dagney
    Dagney

I too went to my first Xmas service...midnight Mass, if you can believe it. I thought, why not?

I too had a similar experience; I went to pretty little community Catholic church...just on a whim I stopped and went in. I sure didn't know what to expect but everybody was gracious and kind, I think they could tell I hadn't a clue what to do. The sermon was good, about helping others, and the adult choir was really nice. It was packed, and I liked seeing people of all sorts there together.

I especially liked "Peace be with you."

• willyloman
    willyloman

Yes, it certainly is an eye opener when you go to a church service like this and realize you were misled and that the dub religion we all held in such high regard is really second rate!

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Hi Wingcommander,

Me too. This was my first Christmas service and second time to a church service ever. We took communion both times,

I commented to my wife(and she agreed) that each time I've participated in communion it meant more and made me think more about God than any conventions ever did.

Service was very nice and not boring. At one part they turned out all the lights and everyone had candles that we lit then sang Silent Night.

Candle light service I recommend it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

WC - Thanx for sharing that moving and wonderful experience with us.

I had attended my first Christmas service just last year [I think, maybe it was two Christmas' ago now.] It was not an orthodox religion [what I call orthodox in the US is Anglican, Catholic, Eastern, and I tend to classify Lutheran along with that somewhat]. Theology experts please don't crucify me.

We loved it. It was so genuine compared to the plastic nature of the KH 'services'.

I have moved somewhat away from organized religion nowadays. But I enjoyed the service immensely when we attended.

Jeff

• carla
    carla

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I grew up Lutheran (do you know what synod it was you went to?) I was taught that during communion out of politeness you do not watch those taking communion as it is a private moment so to speak. We always had a rather long hymn during communion. The service you went to was probably extra long because it was a Christmas service.

Blondie, I'm not sure if you were merely pointing out for others that there was no mention of Santa or you yourself were surprised that Santa was not mentioned. We didn't have any Santa type songs in church. There were a few years though that after the childrens special service where each grade sang or read a special part from the Bible or a play or some special program the Sunday school classes put on, we had a Santa hand out a stocking or apples or oranges as we left for the evening. I forgot what grade it was but quite young, the church gave a certain grade their very own bible as a Christmas gift every year on the way out the door. We little ones felt all grown up at that. Yes, all our homes had bibles but not one of our own with our name and that year in it! I still use that one.

• bebu
    bebu

Christmas Eve mass is one of my favorite things. I was unable to attend this year, unfortunately!

When I was growing up, we'd go in at 11:30 pm and sing carols with a packed church for 30 minutes. The singing was very enthusiastic and beautiful, with the lights down very low and decorations everywhere. Then the priests would come in by candlelight, a very long procession. Everyone was bursting with anticipation for midnight.

I haven't attended one locally yet, but I hope to next year. The joy of Christmas is absolutely palpable at a Christmas Eve mass!

bebu

• mouthy
    mouthy

WELL it is about time you listened to the LORD wingcommander ....By taking the communion!!!!!You really made my day by reading your experience Thank you for sharing.
    None of us are worthy darling .... NONE!!!! When Jesus said "do this in remeberence of me !!" He had already told us to come as we are. YOU DID!!!!
    I am so happy for you. I bet the Missus was pleased with you ????

I love to hear where we start listening to JESUS apart from what that stinking old "Mother " the WT told us we shouldnt do all oppossite of JESUS

Loved it (((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

P/S dont worry about the Trinity let the HOLY SPIRIT guide you

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I attended my first Christmas Eve service too !

Went to a Methodist service . Did the candle light..... Silent Night singing .....so beautiful .

It amazes me just how wrong my JW upbringing was about Christendom . Everything I had been told was wrong so far . The Christmas service didn't focus on Jesus being a baby , but rather what he did for us by coming to the earth as a lowly human . How he met us where we are ..

The prayers are not repetitious ,but heartfelt and everyone joins in and feels an important part of the worship . I never felt as a witness we really worshipped at the KH .

.....The children like going to their sunday school classes and are welcome to join their parents whenever they want .( Their own classes are so much more age appropriate than expecting a four year old to sit perfectly still for two hours )

Just a few of my observations so far .Out of curiousity I want to compare some other churches too. I just don't think I ever want to join any particular one .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit