The Ten Plagues of Egypt

by LtCmd.Lore 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I have to comment on the song. Great job! I hope you don't mind me copying it.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Chaoskampf - very enlightening Leolaia

It made me wonder how much of what JW's believe demonstrates the theory. Here is a fascinating essay about how mythology can be seen to be woven into the fabric of our thinking today

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/best/bswbBestSubPage.asp?PubID=BSBR&Volume=14&Issue=3&ArticleID=11

edit: hmm the article seems to have diasppeared

Okay here's the Title and a paragraph from it

Creation Myths Breed Violence The Chaoskampf myth of creation sets up a cosmic cycle of violence. Can it ever bring peace? By Tikva Frymer-Kensky
    The combat myth is a myth of power, of God’s might. It manifests faith that power is a constructive force. It is no accident that the hero becomes king or that both the Babylonians and the Israelites used the divine combat myth to lend glory and authority to their human kings. The myth shows us the basic attraction of kingship—people will give up autonomy for security, will relinquish their freedom to choose in return for freedom from danger. The full historical sweep of the combat myth, from the battles of Ba‘al and Yam, of Marduk and Tiamat, through biblical Israel’s declarations that “YHWH is King,” and on to its many modern variations and permutations, demonstrates the power of this paradigm and our culture’s fervent desire to believe, not that might makes right, but that right-minded might can make everything right. When the children of light defeat the children of darkness, when the forces of good conquer the legions of evil, when the Jedi defeat the dark side, then peace will reign: God will be king over all the nations, and we shall experience war no more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit