The Ten Plagues of Egypt

by LtCmd.Lore 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• erynw
    erynw
    There are records that are very suggesitve.

Weren't we supposed to burn them, or at least get rid of them? Oooh boy, I do crack myself up sometimes.

Burn, you need to read what you are quoting. You can't, even though the Society does it on a regular basis, pull information out of context and present it as fact. And I quote from the link YOU provided:

Fringe historians often compare the content of this papyrus with Exodus, the second book of the Bible [1]. Similarities between Egyptian texts and the Bible are easily found, and it is reasonable to assume Egyptian influence on the Hebrews, given their at times close contacts. But to conclude from such parallelisms that the Ipuwer Papyrus describes Egypt at the time of the Exodus, requires a leap of faith not everybody is willing to make.

And here's the footnote reference for the above:

[1] Influenced by the revisionist historians of the second half of the 20th century who could not find any archaeological proofs for the historicity of the earlier Bible stories, their value as historical records came to be doubted. Before that time most Egyptologists, having grown up in the Christian West, accepted these accounts as being, at least in part, historically correct.

Sttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerike one!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Sttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerike one!

Erynw.

To summarize your statement then:

You do not think that the Exodus account has any grounding in historical fact?

You do not believe that these events, such as the Thera eruption that destroyed Minoan civilization (and is dated very close to several widespread chronologies related to the Hebrew Exodus account) had any effect on Egypt that could have been interpreted in the manner described in the Biblical text?

I did read what I posted and did so with full knowledge of the caveats contained therein.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Here is an excerpt:

The eruption of Santorini has been connected to the Israelite Exodus from Egypt and to the Ipuwer Papyrus, which in turn have been connected to each other. These theories would tie the eruption to Pharaoh Ahmose I in the Second Intermediate Period of Egyptian History.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thera#Development_of_the_Exodus_Connection

Santorini Eruption Much Larger than originallyBelieved. (University of Rhode Island)

A Storm in Egypt During the Reign of Ahmose. The Thera Foundation.

Incidentally, Ahmose means "brother of Moses" in Hebrew. Funny that.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    "This was a time of great wealth and power for Egypt"

Ahmose was the first Pharaoh of the Eighteenth.

• Mile 0
    Mile 0

Ancient versions of what we today call "urban legends". Stories that contain one little speck of truth, but become re-invented over time and become these great legends that totally mis-represent what actually happened. And of course, the stories will become further embellished to satisfy the religious beliefs of the one writing them.

Mile 0

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Mile O

and become these great legends that totally mis-represent what actually happene

Misrepresent is a very loaded word. There is no evidence that the representation of the events were done with an intent to deceive or be unfair.

Burn

• 5go
    5go
    Ancient versions of what we today call "urban legends". Stories that contain one little speck of truth, but become re-invented over time and become these great legends that totally mis-represent what actually happened. And of course, the stories will become further embellished to satisfy the religious beliefs of the one writing them.

This should tell you how bad bible myths are, Myth Busters ( a discovery channel program) won't give them air because they are to out there to begin with to bust.

• erynw
    erynw
    You do not think that the Exodus account has any grounding in historical fact?

Yep, you are 100% correct. I do not.

As the OP stated, the inconsistencies are too great to make sense.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Yep, you are 100% correct. I do not.

I do. And as above, it is reasonable.

Burn

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Maybe some of you Bible-bashers just like to see pictures, oh ye of little faith.

http://www.pacinst.com/route/redsea.htm

ProdigalSon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit