"They (WT) took me out of context", Gail Bethea-Jackson video

by Fatfreek 155 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies

The whole tenor of the edited interview is that of, "Gee, shucks, we don't know nuttin, heck, even a few years ago no one knew this was happenin".

Poppycock. Child molestation didn't "spring up" since 1985.

To trot out an ancient, heavily edited interview to defend such gross misconduct and imply the whole thing is "new light" - well, I hope this helps you see the situation a little more clearly.

That is kinda what I thought, it is a context youare adding. Take that unverified assumption away and you do not have much. There is no real reason to assume it is a defense for anything. That is adding context.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW IT!! I haven't been here all day either. After the "sorry" thread, I wasn't feeling up to reading. Glad I did! I'm going right over to that JW/Prince site and post this. Since I had a JW quote Gail's words to me.

Good job!

• observador
    observador

Fatfreek,

This is an absolutely FANTASTIC work! Thank you so much for following up on this. We have something here. One way or another, the Watchtower will find out that it cannot continue to lie to the public in this information age.

Misrepresentation my stinky behind... this is an outright lie.

Now, let's keep an eye on their website until the video is pulled.

Wonderful! Thanks a million.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    That is kinda what I thought, it is a context you are adding . Take that unverified assumption away and you do not have much. There is no real reason to assume it is a defense for anything. That is adding context.

Point taken, and it may well be their "get out", but it is filed on their site under "child abuse", then further filed under "progressive understanding", then is shown under this title :

Knowledge of Child Abuse
    Progressive Understanding for Society in General

Granted, it doesn't add anything to her words, but it certainly doesn't reflect the real topic that was being discussed which was "teenagers abusing children".

It's all down to the editing.

Recently in the UK, the BBC were in trouble over a video preview of a documentary about the Queen. They did a similar thing, they spliced the footage together in the wrong order - making her appear to do something that she did not do.

I believe that people were forced to resign over it and were fined.

But then that is a whole different thing : going up in court against the Queen !!!

• steve2
    steve2
    She may feel the need to defend herself. I mean, she gave an interview that just happened to end up in the hands of the owners of the JW media site? Really, she did not know what was going on? Really? Seems odd.

Yes, Death-to-Pixies, you could be right. Just two points to keep in mind though:

(1) The video was made 10 years ago, well before the Watchtower's policy on reporting child abuse became more publically controversial. As a registered health professional, she now realises her comments recorded under one context have been quoted in another context. Hence, her reptuation - including her practising certificate - could be at stake.

(2) Gail Bethea-Jackson maintains she was talking about adolescents abusing younger children, not adults abusing children. Her comments actually do make sense when viewed in that context, because only in more recent decades have clinicians appreciated that it is not just adult abusers who cause damage when they offend against children, but older children abusing younger children can also cause damage.

• Mary
    Mary

Holy christ! Well done Fat Freek!! I hope she sues their asses off!! I'm bookmarking this.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

That is kinda what I thought, it is a context youare adding.

huh? Did you not see the NBC news item?

• searcher
    searcher

Nice one FF, more WT chickens coming home to roost.

BTW folks, did you know you can download an entire website by using a free program found here, http://www.httrack.com/ ?

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    BTW folks, did you know you can download an entire website by using a free program found here, http://www.httrack.com/ ?

I wonder how much HDD space it would take to do this site ?

Acutally, on a similar note, the new RealPlayer will allow you to save the video from JW-Media for free.

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies

Hi Steve,

1) The video was made 10 years ago , well before the Watchtower's policy on reporting child abuse became more publically controversial. As a registered health professional, she now realises her comments recorded under one context have been quoted in another context. Hence, her reptuation - including her practising certificate - could be at stake.

Well, there is no "another context" to begin with I have found. And she may, after being bombarded with phone calls and much mail, be responding less than honestly to distance herself from the organization. Smart and savvy like a politician.

Point #2, (2) Gail Bethea-Jackson maintains she was talking about adolescents abusing younger children, not adults abusing children . Her comments actually do make sense when viewed in that context, because only in more recent decades have clinicians appreciated that it is not just adult abusers who cause damage when they offend against children, but older children abusing younger children can also cause damage.

It is possible, though not certain that Gail is responding with emotion and that could lead to a fuzzy memory. I believed she used the word "paedophile" in the video which is defined as :"an adult whose primary sexual interest is in children; some professionals make a differentiation between a pedophile, whose sexual partner of choice is a prepubertal child, and a hebephile, who is aroused by adolescents." Irregardless of that fact,I feel the WT did not change or add context to her quote, so I believe point #2 to be moot. Even if she was talking of younger children abusing even younger children, I fail to see how she was taken out of context. The JW media website does not give commentary on her at all. I do wonder what kind of mail and phone calls she has recieved from some of you guys and what role that "pressure" lead to her response.

Anyway, I have made up my mind, I take it for what it is. You guys are free to run with this ginourmos scandal :>)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit