JW's - Who Started Smoking Once You Left?

by BBOARD 44 Replies latest jw friends

• BBOARD
    BBOARD

For those of you who grew up as a JW (or not) you knew what, according to Jehovah/WTS, was expected of you in terms of strict morals and conduct. How many of you NEVER touched a cigarette or smoked while being raised as a JW but suddenly started once you left for various reasons ie just to be rebellious, to fit in with "wordlings", to overcompensate for your restricted youth etc. … I know I did and it feels great except for the nasty smoke smell. Funny thing is I don’t feel any pleasure or anything from smoking and thus I feel I can quit anytime … perhaps its because I started after 19 (Certain studies show that those who try to pick up the habit of smoking AFTER they have left their teens without having ever smoked is really hard)

Here are the two reasons I started

1) To try something forbidden from the WTS

2) I look really young for 20. Really. Perhaphs do to my JW youth everytime I go to the theater (or anywhere that asks for ID) the clerks think I am like 14 or 15 (and you might think that to if you met me) ... then I heard that smoking ages you and your face so I though "Why Not Try?" Well I am 6 months into it and I still look young and still get no real pleasure from smoking ... so now I am seriously considering quiting ...

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i was always smokin

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I was born in to the cult and first time I picked up a cigarette I was about 13, and smoked till I left home, (17) now 32 I only smoke cigars about 1 per month

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I started smoking when I lived with my Mom, I did it as a way to thumb my nose at the JW's. I still smoke to this day. I briefly quit smoking during various times in my past, usually when I was trying to pursue baptism.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

You know - one of the things I am grateful to the WTS for, is the incentive to give up smoking. I am so glad I did and now if I stopped being a JW totally, I would never go back to smoking. Helped my check book/bank account enormously and also improved my health. Food tastes a lot better too

• Twitch
    Twitch

I started smoking at 15 but didn't actually "leave" until I turned 18. Not just ziggies either, if ya catch my drift. It was rebellion of course, which is not exclusive to the angst ridden dub teen. Ahh peer pressure. Funny how it doesn't really go away, it just transmogrifies in subtle and sublime ways.

And uh, quit now, eh? ;)

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I have the odd cigar. In this pic (taken at the fest) I couldn't decide what I wanted, so I had all three! lol

smoke-1.jpg smoke picture by tubegirl

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Honestly, I want to badly.Like I physically want to. But I get feel sick when I smell hubby's. I'd hate to see how I'd feel if I actually did it myself. Also, the kids don't know Daddy smokes. Two parents sneaking around is a bit much. I even dream I am smoking.

momz

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Damn Bumbles leave some for the rest of us, puff puff give!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

when I smell smoke on somebody's breath it makes me want to throw up

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit