Agree to Disagree

by wanderlustguy 50 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

......Negotiating..Hitting Head Against Wall 3..Hitting With Bat 2..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• bem
    bem

Dawg I so agree with these words. being a survivor of child molesting myself I always call a pervert a pervert.Did I miss something?? did WLG say something to the affects that this was about protecting pedophiles? cause if it is then whooo nelly!! I have worked for years protecting children, and women ... so maybe I better re-read this thread.

I wasn't referring to any particular argument I have read on the board, I was just typing that, I agreed with the way some arguing is done can be hateful, hurtful, rude, and things are said that would not be said if face to face. Which takes me back to something my brother always told me... "it is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're stupid than to open it and prove it".... <>That is strictly for me not saying anyone here is that way ) But we do have to express ourselves some how on the board. so whatever works for you/me/us is either cool or it isn't.

The above list was the instructors way of showing us we could "say anything" we wanted, but he also went on to say "that doesn't necessarily mean we should".

<<<<<<<<<<< Usually keeps her mouth shut but sometimes just cannot......keep....my.....fingers.....away.......from the keyboard

• dawg
    dawg

BEM, I was only trying to make the point that just becasue you say something that might casue disconmfort that doesn't mean it souldn't be said. I wasn't talking about molesters except to give an example... just read the other posts... and I was also trying to show that saying something bad about somone isn't a fallacy if it's backed up with words.

The point is, all this touchy feely stuff, live and let live isn't always applicable... Most times yes, but at times no....as nvrgbk, was saying, its where we should draw the line... and that's subjective...

• bem
    bem

Dawg just so you know, I mean you no disrespect. There are times when a disaggreement can only be setteled by agreeing to disagree and going seperate ways on any subject.
    It's the words we choose to write that sometimes could be re-thunk before they are typed and sent.

So I guess anything touchy or feely is out of the question then??

• changeling
    changeling

Gregor: are you calling me a bimbo????

changeling

• changeling
    changeling

dawg, darlin: I don't think the writer of this thread intended to say one should not speak out against criminal wrongdoing (child molestation, spousal abuse, criminal acts of any kind). Most would agree these issues should be confronted openly, loudly, and decisively.

I believe he means that there is a way to state ones' opinion (on non-life or death issues) that does not stoop to rudeness and personal attacks.. And that sometimes, we need to know when to take our leave and agree to disagree.

changeling

• Gregor
    Gregor

Gregor: are you calling me a bimbo????

What averr!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Sometimes the hardest thing to accept is that what someone says is usually true, even if it's just for them.

Everybody sees what they want to see. What I want to know is why do they want to see it?

Probably because everyone starts out with an empty head, a blank page, and it gets filled up by life and what they let into their heads and then we have a large variety of opinions.

And those who let their opinons stray to far from the norm, suffer discomfort for being abnormal.

Because they thought about different things and differently from most.

So probably Eddison and Tesla and Einstein were abnormal.

• 5go
    5go
    1st off, the list you gave says "my opponent is a liar" as an example... that isn't an ad hominem attack if the one that says it is telling the truth and can give reasons he has said such a thing....Ad hominem attacks are personal attacks/attacking ones character and lead to bad results in logic only if you don't have proof backing up what you said. Joe blow is a molester isn't an ad hominem attack if that person has been to prision for molestation and so on.

Destruction of character is another ad hominem.

So an so is a thief because he served time for theft. No it is a past event so and so may be legitimately trying to go straight. No you most prove he is a thief currently to make it stick again. Same thing goes for lying.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Professor 5go, the world famous brain scientist, has set us all straight again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit