Agree to Disagree

by wanderlustguy 50 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I knew what I wrote and have written in the past would trigger a lot of different things in a lot of different people. Sometimes the hardest thing to accept is that what someone says is usually true, even if it's just for them.

As a person grows and learns, they draw conclusions about a great many things, from who God is to what kind of car is the best ever made. It oversimplifies things, saying it like that, but at the same time, maybe it is perfect. Everything is a point of view, from the colors we see to the food we like to the environment we live in.

One great thing about the diversity that is in the world is that there is something for everyone, and just as there is so much diversity in the world as far as things and creatures and places, there is also diversity in people and what we believe and who we believe in. At the same time, even with people that are so different, there is usually something beautiful inside them or at least about the person they are.

I think sometimes we get confused about where to look for that. Most of the time, especially those of us who spend a lot of time contemplating the meaning of everything, look for someone to think like we do, just like we do, as if that makes what we think more valid.

Maybe the key is to remember that we are all here because we are supposed to be here, and if someone thinks differently it is because they are supposed to. Perhaps instead of being insulted or confrontational when presented with a differing viewpoint we should consider carefully the ideas being presented and evaluate thier worth based on our own conclusions. After that, even if there is not a consensus, maybe we should take a second to remember that we are all different, and just because someone calls something a different name or thinks something is pretty that we consider to be ugly, it doesn't mean we have to not like them. Maybe we can appreciate that the diversity is intentional and exists to teach us even more about life.

But then again, what do I know?

WLG

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I found this very interesting:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/academicexperts/story/0,,2063751,00.html

De Bono does not believe in arguments. "They are the most crude way of getting a solution," he says. "Usually in an argument, I can see the other person's point of view. It comes down to three basic things: different information, different perception and different values. Once you can see where people come from you can consider if the other person has better information and compare their values and perceptions to yours. I am willing to listen."

Different Information

Different Perception

Different Values

• compound complex
    compound complex

What do you know, Wander?

Judging from your current declaration, I believe that you know the meaning of civility and respect for others. Despite what set of principles we do or do NOT hold to today, is there ever a need to become obnoxious in the name of defending our cherished beliefs? I have had a sufficiency of my own inappropiate speech and behaviour - I've grown up - so I will not castigate another if I deem that he/she is out of line. In the process of stating my "truth," however, I need be neither demanding nor apoplectic.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life
    to make it possible for you to continue to write.

- Francois-Marie Arouet, to M. le Riche

Thank you, Guy.

CoCo la Bouche

• Gregor
    Gregor

Your essay on "Why can't we all just get along?" was very nice, but your apparent sensitivity to disagreement is in itself a manifestation of intolerance. It sounds like you are saying that nothing really means anything. That doesn't fly.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It seems that we can agree to disagree. There are positives there to be gained. The danger could be in not allowing any disagreement to arise - for it is in disagreements, and at least a civil airing of them, that all that is called progress is spawned. At least the argument can be made - though some may disagree. That is fine if they do.

Jeff

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I have no problem with disagreement. The problem I do have is when the focus shifts from th real issue to personal attacks and personal insults because one person is at a loss as to how to debate any other way.

It always has happened, always will happen, and I have no delusions that it will ever change. I just like to write what I think and post it here sometimes. Not everybody likes what I say, and that's fine with me.

WLG

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    for it is in disagreements, and at least a civil airing of them, that all that is called progress is spawned.

I agree with Jeff, the disagreements that cause "uncomfortableness' are often the most enlightening and eye opening. Otherwise, we might as well be back in the borg, nodding in agreement.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    The problem I do have is when the focus shifts from th real issue to personal attacks and personal insults because one person is at a loss as to how to debate any other way.

Often happens. I have been guilty of it myself. Trying to improve in that area. Good reminder. We have lost some quality members of this forum from time to time over the escalation of words that turn angry or mean spirited. I love that you post what is on your mind, and hope you always do.

Just quit giving me the finger, ok?

Jeff

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

if you always agree to disagree before you even disagreed... many things that would have been worth hearing are left unsaid.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Well said, Jeff.

The very nature of this forum about the organization known as Jehovah's Witnesses is born of passionate disagreement. The issues discussed involve extremely serious subjects such as shunning, denial of familial love, and blood transfusion refusal even to the point of death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit