Did You Stay In Because of the Fear?

by serotonin_wraith 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Growing up amongst JWs, I saw the core beliefs as a threat. Be a JW, or die horribly. But no one I knew ever admitted this, it was all about 'loving jehovah'. Now that you're free, look back for a moment at why you stayed in so long. Was it because you 'loved jehovah' or was it really because you didn't want Jehovah to kill you?

I used to think, okay, take away armageddon and paradise, would these people in the hall around me even be here? Is it truly about 'loving jehovah' or was it the carrot and the stick approach that held people captive? Thoughts?

• Gringa
    Gringa

It is the carrot and the fear - - - what other reason is there?

• restrangled
    restrangled

SW...

As a kid raised in it was all about the fear. Fear of parents wrath, elders wrath, Headquarters wrath, extended family wrath and in the end God and Jesus. (In that order)

I learned to be afraid, very afraid.

No connection to God and/or Jesus what so ever.

r.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Restrangled, you have me thinking now. I think for me it was fear of parents, then God. Before I actually looked into this whole 'God' business myself. Maybe I should direct this more at those who were adults while in - was everyone lying about it being loving God, or was anyone actually being genuine when they said that?

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Yeah, most of my youth was spent in a state of "scared as hell" because of their teachings.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Yes, I didn't want my kids to die. Or me for that matter.

momz

• Casper
    Casper

I was converted at the age of 28, and I know this is "Vain", but it was the promised "Fountain of Youth" that first kept me hanging on, along with the resurrection hope for lost loved ones.

Then it became ... staying in for my JW hubby, after he passed away... I was out of there.

Cas

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes. I had it drilled into my head that "Jehovah" was always monitoring my loyalty to him and to the Watchtower organization, and that holy spirit would reveal any little wrong thing I did.

Only after I learned that holy spirit and "Jehovah" had nothing to do with the organization did the fear lose its grip.

• Gringa
    Gringa

Yeah - my mom "put the fear of God" into me...her words, not me.

I was afraid of her and of Jehovah.

How sad..... A loving God would not do this to anyone!!!! Love me and do what I say or I will kill you! I gave you free will but you damn well better use your free will to worship me OR I WILL KILL YOU!!!!

How on earth can anyone reconcile that?

It's sick, really, really sick.

• lalliv01
    lalliv01

I have never really been afraid of dying, first because it was too far off in the distance, now because I'm not afraid of a nice,very deep, sleep. I have always believed in a Creator, never,ever even considered or entertained the thought that God did not exist. So, I felt that God was like a good father, full of good counsel and someone to be listened to. I felt JW's had the best way to worship Him, no one, no other religion, had "the truth." I now know the JW's are a people, albeit a good people, that are being herded about like a bunch of,what, sheep? By a bunch of truly deceitful leaders.

I now believe that there is NO religion that teaches "the truth." Now I'm an orphan withot a "father," but I'm still not sure. fear never was what kept me in, I knew I just needed direction, I still do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit