IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM LAWRENCE HUGHES

by SHUNNED FATHER 64 Replies latest jw friends

• SHUNNED FATHER
    SHUNNED FATHER

AN IDEA PUT FORWARD: There is very little cost establishing a not-for-profit in Canada. What it requires is a volunteer Board, establishing the organization on a business footing including a Treasurer who will hand all the accounting. It is always recommended that the Treasurer not be the founder. The books must always be transparent and regular strategy meetings held.

ANSWER: I will definitely look into this idea. I would be suprised though, to find out that the government would allow a lawsuit to become a non - profit venture and give an exemption to taxes, especially when I am sueing government agencies such as the Health Region, the Cross Cancer Institute which is a government Institute. Another problem with this is that the Watchtower Society could donate to the Trust Fund and then demand to see the books. The Watchtower Lawyers tried that the last time and I told them to take a hike. But if the trust fund is a non profit then they would have the legal right, I expect and would definitely would exercise that right.

I am not sure where I would find a Board of Directors. Of the 100 or so xjw's in Alberta, there is not one who has been willing to help me out so far. DO I HAVE ANY VOLUNTEERS ?

When sending a donation, write me a note saying whether it is ok to contact you and how you want to be contacted and if you need an accounting. In the past those giving small donations have said that they are not concerned and didn't want to create more work for me and have even asked me to spend the money on lunch. Many persons who donate want to remain anonymous and I am nervous about writing them a letter without prior approval.

As I have mentioned , I am thrilled that you want to help and I thank everyone who has helped me in the past. I will keep an accurate accounting of donations and expenses. It would become very time consuming and expensive to send out monthlyn statements, especially to donations of $5, $10, $20. For larger donations. it would not be a problem. I WILL NOT give out the name of anyone who has donated without their written consent.

Sorry, my time is up. I will login in tomorrow.

Lawrence

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks Lawrence for sharing that, sounds reasonable to me.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
  • hillary_step
    hillary_step

Lawrence,

Thank you for your note.

There is very little cost establishing a not-for-profit in Canada. What it requires is a volunteer Board, establishing the organization on a business footing including a Treasurer who will hand all the accounting. It is always recommended that the Treasurer not be the founder. The books must always be transparent and regular strategy meetings held.

ANSWER: I will definitely look into this idea. I would be suprised though, to find out that the government would allow a lawsuit to become a non - profit venture and give an exemption to taxes, especially when I am sueing government agencies such as the Health Region, the Cross Cancer Institute which is a government Institute. Another problem with this is that the Watchtower Society could donate to the Trust Fund and then demand to see the books. The Watchtower Lawyers tried that the last time and I told them to take a hike. But if the trust fund is a non profit then they would have the legal right, I expect and would definitely would exercise that right.

These problems are not difficult to surmount. Your lawyer will tell you how to set up such a fund with wider interests that will allow it to fall under the not for profit mantle. Even if you do not go this route, my advise would be to structure such a management Board anyway. It is important imo to depersonalize "Lawrence" from the fund, which will give comfort to those who worry about how their donations are being spent. Transparency is essential.

The WTS will have a right to review your accounts if they donate, but they will not be able to view the list of those who have donated unl;ess a court allows them to do this which is unlikely in the extreme. Your lawyer will explain this.

I am not sure where I would find a Board of Directors. Of the 100 or so xjw's in Alberta, there is not one who has been willing to help me out so far. DO I HAVE ANY VOLUNTEERS ?

What you need is a Chairperson, a PR person, Treasurer, and secretary. Four would be enough. It has to be said in honesty Lawrence, that some of your posts on this Board in the past have led to a tendency for many to distance themselves from helping. Depersonalizing the situation will go a long way to mending bridges and taking pressure from your own life, even if this is just getting a trusted friend who others are comfortable with to stand for you as the collector and disburser of funds.

When sending a donation, write me a note saying whether it is ok to contact you and how you want to be contacted and if you need an accounting. In the past those giving small donations have said that they are not concerned and didn't want to create more work for me and have even asked me to spend the money on lunch. Many persons who donate want to remain anonymous and I am nervous about writing them a letter without prior approval.

That is fine if a person gives you money and suggests that it might be spent on other things. But they must have the choice, and most I would submit would donate only for legal fees, not personal expenses.

As I have mentioned , I am thrilled that you want to help and I thank everyone who has helped me in the past. I will keep an accurate accounting of donations and expenses. It would become very time consuming and expensive to send out monthlyn statements, especially to donations of $5, $10, $20. For larger donations. it would not be a problem. I WILL NOT give out the name of anyone who has donated without their written consent.

I am prepared to offer advise Lawrence, as much as you need, but I would only donate into a properly structured fund in this instance. PM me if you need any further help.

Cheers - HS

• onacruse
    onacruse

hillary step, your last was an excellent evaluation of the situation.

Respects,

Craig

• smiddy
    smiddy

I don`t know whether these points have been covered or not but isn`t their a lawyer from canada,namely Kerry loudeback who wrote a thesis on the tort of misrepresentation of blood by the wtb&ts?Maybe she can shed some light on how to proceed.Also I`d like to comment on the "news"some time back that the jw`s have modified their stance/backed away from forcing jw`s from taking blood by shunning,ostraczising them for doing so.They now say we don`t d/f them for taking blood any more,by their own actions (taking a blood transfusion ) they dis -accociate themselves from the org.of jw`s HELLO..oooooo .This is not a softening up of their policy,on the contrary it`s more damaging,more threatening!! Why?,because if a witness through weakness or transgression commits a sin they can be reinstated from being d/f after a period of time,however if one willfully dis-associates themself from Jehovah,in many jw`s mind that could be paramount to committing the unforgivable sin,a sin that is not forgivable in the previous system,the present system,or the coming system of things.thereby putting a much heavier burden on the "witness"to toe the watchtower policy line.What are your thoughts on this.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

bttt

• besty
    besty

was there a more recent update that I missed - Randy/Barb?

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I joined an ex-jw forum a Lonnnnng time ago and wasn't sure if it was this one. So I was scanning the names around what I may have joined under and saw this guy's username. I have no idea why I decided to check him out...maybe because my heart was tugged when I saw the name "shunned father". Anyway, I read up on his 'stuff' and wonder what the update is. It seems a lot of the present posters commented on a bunch of his threads. Was there any success? Also, is there a post on the actual reason for the lawsuit? I got the jist of it, but was curious as to the whole story.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

way to dig this one up snap. I think I know what happened here...but I forget. Scary isn't it? I have officially hit middle-age. Oh well, a refresher on what happened with this would be great! The Oracle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit