IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM LAWRENCE HUGHES

by SHUNNED FATHER 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I voiced my concerns on an open forum so that others might make informed choices before sending money.

Not everyone is going to feel the same way about a topic.

I hope he answers my questions. I would love to see JW children protected.

Would you rather I kept my mouth shut and internalized my doubts like I did as a Witness?

Bobbi

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When a person makes a request for funds on an open forum he should expect to be asked probing questions on that same open forum.

No exceptions.

W

edited to add: This is not the first time he requested funds here for this case. I wonder if those who donated in the past have received any accounting regarding the disbursement of funds already received.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

on sencond thought I agree with you Bobbi...pls disregard my original post

• Angharad
    Angharad
    I voiced my concerns on an open forum so that others might make informed choices before sending money.

I agree - everyone should know all the facts before sending money.

Lawrence :

Please could you address the questions raised by Para (copied below) and others on this thread about the accounting and use of any donations or settlement.

1) Lawyers are like vultures, especially civil lawyers. The fact that you can't even get a vulture to take a bite at this potentially juicy target concerns me on the legal grounds for success. If this is going to be such a high profile case, I can assure you that SOME lawyer would want their face all over the papers as free publicity.

2) Knowing you would be going up against the Tower's law firms, why did you pursue a course that you would be unable to finish, especially when the stakes are so high with precedents.

3) Where is the proper accounting for donations? How much money is being spent where? How much money is being taken in, who is regulating the flow? When asking for money, it's considered good practice to show where it has been used and where it will continue to be used... specifically.

4) Is this money also going towards your suit against the Cross Cancer Institute as well?

5) You are asking for handout for a chance at a large civil suit. No mention was made to what will happen with the money if you win. No provision is suggested in the donation request that leads me to believe that you would want to pay people back for their donations.

6) Who is managing the fund? You or a third party?

7) Is there any provision to those donating to your cause that you will not be settling out of court if they offer enough?
  • Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Lawrence Hughes asked me to post this. I believe in his cause and have donated to this case before.

Randy

I am no longer able to post on JWD. Maybe I have been kicked out again. Would you please go on the thread I started yesterday and inform them that I am not able to post.
    Would you please post the following on my thread? Thanks.
    Lawrence

I really appreciate your ideas and comments. This brainstorming session is great. I feel better already after receiving so many great ideas on this thread and by email. I no longer feel alone. We are creating as we go and this lawsuit is evolving into something bigger and better. They say that two heads are better than one. In this case one thousand heads are a lot better than one. I will try to answer your questions in a timely manner. Unfortunately, I do not have a computer and I have limited to access to one.

I have to be very carefull what I say on this forum. The Watchtower Society monitors this site on a regular basis. I would bet that a staff member from Bethel has already posted on this thread to discourage us and cause division. On many occasions, I would show up in court and the Watchtower Lawyers would have a copy of my latest posting on this web site and would try to use it against me in court, twisting the truth and making all kinds of accusations.

Of course I would return any donations if I win or if I settled out of court. Up until now settling out of court has not been an option. Up until now I have had no intention to settle out of court.

If enough donations come in I would hire a lawyer to handle the trust fund. I have already discussed this with several law firms. It is very involved and complicated when a law firm handles a trust fund and they have to follow Federal laws. It is also expensive. The last time I asked for donations I collected approximately $4,000. If I had hired a law firm to handle it, all the donation money would have been used up to pay the lawyer fees. The average donation was about $25. You can imagine the amount of hours a lawyer would spend on that.

If enough donations come in to hire a lawyer to represent me, then that law firm could handle the trust fund.

I have discussed this case with every lawfirm in the city. Most of the lawyers I discussed this case with are the senior counsel in those firms. These senior lawyers have told me that I have a very strong case against the Watchtower Society.

1)Lawyers are like vultures, especially civil lawyers. The fact that you can't even get a vulture to take a bite at this potentially juicy target concerns me on the legal grounds for success. If this is going to be such a high profile case, I can assure you that SOME lawyer would want their face all over the papers as free publicity.

ANSWER: The laws in Canada are a lot different than the US. The amount of money a court awards in an Estate Lawsuit is not a lot of money. That is why no lawfirm wants to take on this lawsuit. Also, a lawfirm according to my conversations with them, will only take on a lawsuit on a contingency basis if they are convinced they will win. They are no willing to take any chances.

2) Knowing you would be going up against the Tower's law firms, why did you pursue a course that you would be unable to finish, especially when the stakes are so high with precedents.

ANSWER: I have every intention to finish what I have started. The only questions is whether I represent myself in court or I have a lawfirm represent me……..whether I hire the best expert witnesses money can buy or ones that cost less. Just so you know, 50% of Canadians cannot afford a lawyer.

3) Where is the proper accounting for donations? How much money is being spent where? How much money is being taken in, who is regulating the flow? When asking for money, it's considered good practice to show where it has been used and where it will continue to be used... specifically.

ANSWER: As mentioned above, when enough contributions come in , then a lawfirm will be taking over the trust fund.

4) Is this money also going towards your suit against the Cross Cancer Institute as well?

ANSWER: The lawsuit against the Watchtower Society and the Cross Cancer Institute are the same lawsuit.

5) You are asking for handout for a chance at a large civil suit. No mention was made to what will happen with the money if you win. No provision is suggested in the donation request that leads me to believe that you would want to pay people back for their donations.

ANSWER: As mentioned above, I would pay back any donations if I win.

6) Who is managing the fund? You or a third party?

ANSWERED ABOVE

7) Is there any provision to those donating to your cause that you will not be settling out of court if they offer enough?

ANSWER: I have no intention to settle out of court. If someone murdered your daughter and told lies about you to your children and stole your family away from you, would you settle out of court ?

I am afraid I have to go for now but I will return as soon as I can.

Please continue to share your ideas with me.

Thanks.

Lawrence

• Bryan
    Bryan

I donated to lawrence last time ($XXX.xx) I know he needs a lot of cash and am willing to help. I would like to see true accounting of our last donations.

Perhaps I don't understand the Canadian legal system, but if the lawyers say you have a great case, I don't understand why they will not take it on contegency.

I am willing to contact a lot of people requesting donations for Lawrence, but there has got to be some sort of accounting.

Thanks and good luck!

Bryan

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Lawrence,

There is very little cost establishing a not-for-profit in Canada. What it requires is a volunteer Board, establishing the organization on a business footing including a Treasurer who will hand all the accounting. It is always recommended that the Treasurer not be the founder. The books must always be transparent and regular strategy meetings held.

This does not require much money to establish, just a dedicated group with a common agenda. I believe it to be your best way forward, and judging from some of the comments on this thread, finding voluntary personnel would not be a problem. If you are going to "go it alone" those who are suspicious of sending cash without receipts, guarantees or transparency may be put off.

The not-for-profit can then be funded by anything from personal donations to flea markets with minimal taxation implications. I have helped to establish many such charitable organizations and would be happy to make suggestions. Contact me at [email protected] if I can be of help with advise.

The Revenue Canada site gives some very clear information in this regard also: http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/cd-dgc.nsf/en/cs02683e.html

HS

• undercover
    undercover
    I have to be very carefull what I say on this forum. The Watchtower Society monitors this site on a regular basis. I would bet that a staff member from Bethel has already posted on this thread to discourage us and cause division.

Where have I heard this line of reasoning before? Oh yea...the Witnesses.

"Don't listen to apostates, they spread lies and half-truths in order to discouage us and cause divisions."

I think those that have raised questions are doing so to help make sure that if this is a just cause, that its done to the satisfaction of all concerned. Its possible that some might not contribute because there isn't enough information or clarification. If all these questions are answered and steps taken to protect the monies contributed, more people might feel better about donating.

I'd like to think that this is on the up and up, but the above quote puts me off a bit. Let's not attack those questioning based on an unproven theory.

The answers in the rest of the quote are a start at alleviating concerns but I think more is needed to show those that question the intent of the one asking for donations that steps are being taken to protect the donations from being misused. Saying that you'll do something is one thing, creating a safe procedure and making it available for viewing to all that want to donate, like setting up a non-profit for instance, would show even more.

• Scully
    Scully
    This is not the first time he requested funds here for this case. I wonder if those who donated in the past have received any accounting regarding the disbursement of funds already received.

I certainly did not receive an accounting for the donations I sent early on in this crusade.

Until I see some evidence in the direction of creating a not-for-profit / charitable organization in support of this venture, I do not foresee myself supporting this cause with my hard earned income. It's been over five years since Bethany passed away. That is certainly sufficient time for this kind of organization to be created with an appropriate board of directors/trustees and transparent accounting practices put in place.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Thanks for posting that Randy.

Lawrence has not been kicked off! - I dont know why he cant log on.

The last time I asked for donations I collected approximately $4,000.

ANSWER: As mentioned above, when enough contributions come in , then a lawfirm will be taking over the trust fund.

Would you be able to provide the people that donatated last time with an accounting of where their donations have gone so far. Your answer above doesnt seem to cover what was asked.

I sure you would have many more people donate if they could view this information. Hillary-step's idea of a volunteer board would be an excellent way for you to proceed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit