IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM LAWRENCE HUGHES

by SHUNNED FATHER 64 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Lawrence,

You might be wise to have any donations sent directly to a lawyer or accountant so that you distance yourself from the worry that some may have as to what happens to this cash. Both accountants (CPA) and lawyers are legally and morally bound to give a statement of account as to how much money they have received, and what the money is being held for. They would also provide receipts for those donating, with a covering note outlining that the cash will be returned to the donators in the event of a non-prosecution of the case, or a victory that leads to compensation of a size that will fall outside of mere legal costs levied.

This is standard procedure in many such charitable cases. I would not personally feel comfortable sending cash to an individual and this concept may be damaging your chances of receiving any substantial funds.

I would get some professional advice, as setting up a not-for profit may be your only hope and would convince donators that none of the cash donated would used for anything other than legal costs. The not-for-profit books should be open to public scrutiny.

Cheers - HS

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Thank you, Paraliponmenon and hillary_step, for the excellent advice offered to Lawrence Hughes. As conscientious as Lawrence is, I'm sure he will respond with information to make this a more worry-free request and settle doubts any might have.

Barbara

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

I'm in.

BTW, I noticed that in one article you said to send donations to Save the Children at the same post office box. Is this still a name that we can use?

• justhuman
    justhuman

Although I'm in the other side of the world, still I feel your pain and anxiety because I'm a father too. It is a lot of money, and for sure WT has the top lawyers.

Is there any ex-jw lawyer that can take your case without money? I will pray for you my friend

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

A question: what happens to the money if it's not used?

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

Mr.Hughes, you may have overheard people talking about because your behavior during your Daughter's illness was attention seeking and counterproductive. I lived in Calgary during that time and I heard non witnesses talking about how awful the whole situation was for everyone.

Your daughter died in 2002. Why has it taken this long for you take this kind of action. You were very vocal in the newspapers at that time.

I find it hard to believe that you were unable to find a law firm to take your case, especially in Alberta.

I feel that you enjoy the attention and drama and pray that you seek counseling.

Bobbi

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Bobbi, that was uncalled for. Anyone who has any knowledge of the Watchtower should know that they have extensive legal teams and can tie things up for years. He has been working on this case for a long time, it has taken this long for it to come about.

As for law firms willing to take his claims, they probably have seen the amount of cases the JW's have won, and maybe that is why they are leery of taking them on.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Bobbi

If you had any question as to Mr Hughes integrity that should have been addressed to him directly in a PM as opposed to open forum like such....unless you have any conclusive evidence to support your claims beyond just your own thoughts.

This is not intended to be a confrontational post. Please just consider.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm still in - for my friend, Louise, who died due to complications of lupus and refusal of a blood transfusion.

Louise was the salt of the earth. She once voiced her concern for me because I took off from my job - without approval - to attend a convention. I still remember her gentle but firm reminder that I didn't have anything to prove to anybody.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have urged her to accept the transfusion.

Sylvia

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    In all, I wish you luck, but I will not be supporting it. If you're asking for a charitable donation, then I would expect some accountability and administration. What I see here is a request for a handout with nothing but your word that it will be used properly. In my time on the internet, these sorts of requests have always ended badly.

I agree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit