agnostic.....reality?

by msil 47 Replies latest jw friends

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

HERE, HERE, A TOAST TO FREEDOM!

minds are like parachutes--they only function when open.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    6/9,
    I think, therefore I am?

Go have a labotomy and tell me if you feel the same way.

• msil
    msil

6/9,

did it hurt? :-)

• gotcha
    gotcha

does proving a negative mean that there's a positive? maybe coz a thing may be called negative if there's a positive aspect that it is opposite to....
    msil..maybe it's possible i dont know if this makes sense

• conflicted
    conflicted

msil, I don't know if this answers your question, but here goes:

Let's say you DID find for a fact that demons do exist, it still doesn't prove the existance of god. The belief that everything has an opposite is a theory, not a fact, and the existance of something isn't proof that the opposite also exists.

To proove that god exists you have to do just that - proove that god exists. Finding one supernatural being may give you a path to follow in finding more, but it isn't proof that they will be there.

• msil
    msil

yeah.....but concrete proof of the existence of demons would make it easier to believe in a God.....just a personal thing I spose....

The probablity seems to increase, if you know what I mean

• conflicted
    conflicted

Yeah, I do see what you mean - if demons exist than god could too. I thought you were asking about finding one would be proof of the other.
    You are right though, if you were to find absolute proof of demons, the means of discovering that proof could be used to find proof of god as well.

Interesting....

• msil
    msil

another thought....

Lets say we proce demons exist...
    Then lets say we prove God exists
    He will be so pissed at us anyway (if what we were taught is right) that I am toast....so why not just be my happy blissful agnostic self? I certainly dont feel like feeling guilty about my life...or fearful...

• msil
    msil

another demon dupe...must be my sticky fingers <g>

• patio34
    patio34

Hi MSIL,

When still an active dub, the last time I was reading straight thru the Bible, it was very apparent that a distinct shift took place between the OT and NT.

What this was, among other things, was the interaction of demons with people. In the entire OT there is barely a mention of demons. In the NT, demons are prominently possessing people.

Now, I know the fundies' arguments for this. But my suspicion is that this was a particularly superstitious time influenced by the Persian religion the Jews were in contact with prior.

So, in conclusion, demons, etc. are fanciful figments of humans that are no more real than alien sightings and abductions are today in our society.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit