agnostic.....reality?

by msil 47 Replies latest jw friends

• msil
    msil

Cali Sunshine,

Do you not see the logic....if we cannot find God through light...will the proof of darkness provide a reasonable converse that there must be light - hence God?

While I do not like the converse approach myself for proving things...is this the only way? What do all these other millions of people see that I don't? Am I blinded by something?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

How would you ever know if you "knew"? If 95% of all the things humans have thought were spirits at work throughout the ages, are demonstrably physical or mental, will you suddenly discount that if your own experience begins feeling a bit "spooky"?

I've come to the belief that a specific belief in God, or spirits for that matter, is just a bit crazy. Crazy because it is belief in something that, whatever else it is or is not, has most definitely NOT been specific.

Most all of us on this forum were just a bit crazy for much of our lives. For me, sanity is way better that "knowing" the unknown.

• msil
    msil

6/9,

I think, therefore I am?

• Seeker
    Seeker

Evidently my experience counts for nothing around here.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

I have read the necronimicon and its interesting but i didnt have any demons come visit me.

The Necronomicon was written in Damascus in 730 A.D. by Abdul Alhazred. I dunno if he is a historical figure or what. Little is known about him. Popular legend holds he died in borad daylight by being ripped to shred by invisible claws.

What is probably more true is that he was a scholar, well versed in many languages. The original Arabic document has never been found (as far as we know) The last known time an ancient arabic version of the Necronimicon was found was when a Latin translation was made in 1487 by a Dominican priest Olaus Wormius. He was later burned at the stake for trying to translate it :)

Alhazred appears to have had access to many sources now lost, and events which are only hinted at in Genesis or the apocryphal Book of Enoch, or disguised as mythology in other sources, are explored in great detail.

He believed that many species besides the human race had inhabited the Earth, and that much knowledge was passed to mankind in encounters with beings from "beyond the spheres" or from "other spheres".

He shared with some Neoplatonists the belief that the stars are similar to our sun, and have their own unseen planets with their own lifeforms.

He was also convinced that he had contacted beings he called the "Old Ones" using magical invocations, and warned of terrible powers waiting to return to re-claim the Earth. He interpreted this belief (most surprisingly!) in the light of the Apocalypse of St. John, but reversed the ending so that the Beast triumphs after a great war in which the earth is laid waste.

These 'old ones' are what many erefer to as demons. He beleived the 'old ones' could help us using their dark powers.

According to Alhazred, the Old Ones were beings from "beyond the spheres", presumably the spheres of the planets, and in the cosmography of that period this would imply the region of the fixed stars or beyond. They were superhuman and extrahuman. They mated with humans and begat monstrous offspring. They passed forbidden knowledge to humankind. They were forever seeking a channel into our plane of existence.

As for the original copy, most current versions are considered to be incomplete or completley inaccurate.

the years from 1933-38 the few known copies of the Necronomicon simply disappeared; someone in the German government of Adolf Hitler took an interest in obscure occult literature and began to obtain copies by fair means or foul.

Dee's translation disappeared from the Bodleian following a break-in in the spring of 1934. The British Museum suffered several abortive burglaries, and the Wormius edition was deleted from the catalogue and removed to an underground repository in a converted slate mine in Wales (where the Crown Jewels were stored during the 1939-45 war). Other libraries lost their copies, and today there is no library with a genuine catalogue entry for the Necronomicon. The current whereabouts of copies of the Necronomicon is unknown, but there is a story of a large wartime cache of occult and magical documents in the mountainous Osterhorn area near Salzburg - this may be connected with the recurring story of a copy bound in the skin of concentration camp victims.

• target
    target

msil:

I, too, have been wondering about the demon thing. I have had several past experiences that I thought were demon related but now I wonder if they could have been some sort of other spirits. They were not my imagination playing tricks either. Example: We moved into a house and started hearing someone walking around upstairs. If we were down in the basement rec room, then the walking would be in the kitchen right above us. If we had company, they would hear it also. At night things would fly around the basement, like a pail, making terrible noise. When we started having the book study at our home, it all stopped. When we moved to another home, this one new, we let someone store their car in our garage under the house. Right away I started having
    trouble with something kicking the bed under me or the couch under me or the back of my seat in the car. When that car was removed from our garage, it all stopped. The car owner sold the car right away so he must have been having trouble too. There were a couple other similar experiences. I thought it was all demons. Maybe not. I thought , too, that Jesus talked about demons and since I believed in demons, that proved the existance of Jesus and then of course, God. Now I don't know what to believe.

Target

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

Dearest Msil,

**********************What do all these other millions of people see that I don't? Am I blinded by something?********************

You are looking for PHYSICAL proof of Gods existence, is that it? Only in a reverse way, right? I want to make sure I understand this .........

These millions of people don't "see" anything more than you and I do. They just believe. Either by being taught from childhood or by some revelation in their own mind. Hence the word "FAITH". The dictionary defines faith as "Belief without the need of certain proof".

If you are looking for proof, other that the beautiful sky and flowers we have to enjoy, good luck. But Demons?

minds are like parachutes--they only function when open.

• msil
    msil

Cali Sun (I will come up with a good short nick for you yet),

Do you fear them?

• msil
    msil

Target,

Its intriguing...one of the few things that still pushes my agnostic buttons...

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

Msil & BB

*******************He beleived the 'old ones' could help us using their dark powers.********************

Believe...."To except as true or real"

They "believed the old ones could help" and so when things happened the old ones got the credit.

minds are like parachutes--they only function when open.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit