• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

quietlyleaving

I think God's love should be demanded!

On what basis?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

emo

We'd need one of our Biblical linguists (Leolaia, Narkissos where are you?!) to confirm this but 'hated' may be a translational thing and it may have meant something less harsh such as 'preferred'? In the context, that would merely be a choice matter rather than an emotional state.

It's defined here by Strongs:

miseo¯

mis-eh'-o

From a primary word µ??s?? misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension to loveless: - hate (-ful).

Edited to add: It's the same word in Luke 14:26

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Sorry DD I take Strong's with a very large pinch of salt - because it is based on the KJV, which interprets the word as 'hate' without regard for the historical context.

Can you find a Greek word in Strong's for 'prefer'?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

emo

Every translation I have looked at, seems to use the word "hate". Here's the NIV

Rom 9:13

Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

If God is not free to hate, How does he feel about sin?

Can you find a Greek word in Strong's for 'prefer'?

Not sure why you want this, but

The Greek word for "preferred"is "ginomai" --ghin'-om-ahee and is NOT the word used in Romans 9

??´??µa?

ginomai

ghin'-om-ahee

A prolonged and middle form of a primary verb; to causetobe ("gen" -erate), that is, (reflexively) to become (comeintobeing), used with great latitude (literally, figuratively, intensively, etc.): - arise be assembled, be (come, -fall, -have self), be brought (to pass), (be) come (to pass), continue, be divided, be done, draw, be ended, fall, be finished, follow, be found, be fulfilled, + God forbid, grow, happen, have, be kept, be made, be married, be ordained to be, partake, pass, be performed, be published, require, seem, be showed, X soon as it was, sound, be taken, be turned, use, wax, will, would, be wrought.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

DD

quietlyleaving

I think God's love should be demanded!

On what basis?

Can God's love be demanded? If so where would grace come in to play?

Can your love be demanded?

On the above basis. You asked can your love be demanded?

My answer would be yes in that my children demanded my love when they were born - the survival instinct within 'demands love' in a sense and I applaud that. Part of human nature is to question life and demand to live. But if we're saying that God, in his role as supreme authority, teaches people not to demand and question then we create victims and victimisers of huge sections of people. (just thinking)

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

emo

Sorry DD I take Strong's with a very large pinch of salt - because it is based on the KJV, which interprets the word as 'hate' without regard for the historical context.

Strongs is not based on the KJV, it is a dictionary for defining Hebrew and Greek from the Recieved Text

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

quietlyleaving

On the above basis. You asked can your love be demanded?
    My answer would be yes in that my children demanded my love when they were born - the survival instinct within 'demands love' in a sense and I applaud that. Part of human nature is to question life and demand to live. But if we're saying that God, in his role as supreme authority, teaches people not to demand and question then we create victims and victimisers of huge sections of people. (just thinking)

God's children have always had His love. Why would they demand something they already have?

Your problem may be with those who are not His children. Yet they recieve His common grace (love) blessings like rain, food, air,ect.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Just the way I'm still seeing it DD:

With reference to ginomai, from the description you posted below the word, it doesn't appear to mean 'prefer', not even in the widest sense.

Miseo however, even though it is interpreted as hatred and extremely detest etc, could still be more widely interpreted as 'preference' - a very strong preference lol! - as well as the reactive term. To have a strong preference for one thing will likely mean 'to the exclusion of the other' - or rejection if you want to use a stronger term.

Could it be that there was no Greek word for 'prefer' so they used the closest alternative?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I remember looking at the movie "The Stand" written by Stephen King. In it, the deaf, mute character said to Mother Abigail "I don't believe in God". She laughed and said "He believes in you". I thought that was interesting!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

emo

The Greek word for preferred is used three times in the first chapter of John

John 1:15

John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

John 1:27

He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.

John 1:30

This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.

I think you're missing the point. God LOVED agapao¯ (not prefered) Jacob. Where was God's love for Esau?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit