Which Bible to start instead of NWT?

by yknot 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I would recommend a version that is not so literal. Especially if you want to go beyond looking up proof texts and reading connected text, to understand what the writer's main points are, and how the arguments flow. The problem with literal translations often is that comprehension is stymied by the diction of the original language, which rises to prominance in a word-for-word rather than thought-for-thought rendering. Then compare different translations to see whether the thoughts in the text come through in the same way, or in different ways.

For years I struggled to read the NWT, getting bogged down in difficult phraseology and sentence structure, that I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to say.

My favorite translation is the Jerusalem Bible. But look at other ones too. Just don't spend your money on the Living Bible, that is a paraphrase -- not a translation -- and goes quite too far in rewriting the text.

• R.F.
    R.F.

NKJV, NIV

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Leolaia, I am so pleased to hear that a person of your stature would suggest the Jerusalem Bible!

That was all we had to compare with the NWT in our home and I truly enjoyed it. Not like I could quote from it freely, but the
    Jerusalem Bible was a building block of my personal bible study at a young age. The Internet was just a dream to me then.

The KJV was considered bastardized, if not poetic.

Whether we believe, or not, I'm glad we're living in the 21st century and we can read every translation at the flick of a finger today.

~Sue

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

NIV Life Application Study Bible was recommended to me when I first came away from the NWT. The commentary is very useful.

Reading another bible is a breath of fresh air compared to the NWT but it did make me mad to see how much the BORG had changed the bible to suit their doctrines.

All the best in your journey.

SP

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

I have a copy of the Revised Standard Version. There are no cross references in it and God's name does not appear in it and there is a note in the foreword explaining its omission. This then leaves you to make your own personal opinion about the validity of the use of his name. This also challenges you to use your OWN thinking and not have a religious organisation tying to think for you.

LFCv

• Dagney
    Dagney

Actually I started using the New Jerusalem Bible while I was still attending, bringing it to all meetings. If you get the one with footnotes it is a wealth of knowledge. It is in modern language, uses Yahweh, has timelines and introductions so you actually understand the context of what you are reading.

It's a great Bible and my all time favorite. (Amazon for about $30)

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I have a new KJV that I like a lot...I especially like that the words of Jesus are marked in red. My most often used version in the New Living Translation that I picked up at the church I attend. I like the way it is written and the "helps" they included in it.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Ditto that, I find the Jerusalem Bible excellent!

• snowbird
    snowbird

I also read many translations. The ones with the words of Jesus in red are what helped me see thru the deception of the WTS.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit