Biblical morals.

by Anti-Christ 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Dear Brother Apologist,

My, with what desperation you are ravenously trying to convince yourself of the "rightness" of the Bible! Why? Why not simply read the Bible as an ordinary book without magical powers, objectively, cooly and rationally and let the chips fall where they may? What terrible thing is going to happen if the bible turns out to be a ridiculous myth that is both shockingly immoral and a horrible depiction of God? If the Bible were really infallible, or even "good" it would be apparent to everyone. It would not require the effort you are going through to defend it.

Accusing the writer of the article of having an "agenda" and being a "diatribe" just makes me laugh. You obviously don't know what a diatribe is. That article is not a diatribe of any kind. It is an argumentative essay, one that seems both reasonable, fair, transparent, accurate and so forth. It quotes the Bible directly and accurately, and merely draws conclusions that are perfectly rerasonable to all of us who read them. Would you not agree that the qwriter is merely drawing reasonable conclusions that most people would draw when they read the Bible? I think most of us on this board would agree with that statement.

The responses you give are what is called "explaining away." Why does God need someone to " explain away' his actions? Apparently, according to you, God has given his creation one set of morals that is universal and inherent in all peoples, NOT RELATIVE at all, but absolute. In other words there is a set of morals, and it is not a long list, that is shared by all peoples of all times. The Bible goes contrary to common moral sense. Are you telling us that this god given common sense was purposely made by God to confuse us when we read of atrocities in the Bible? When we are shocked and appalled by the seemingly crazy actions of a maniacal God, is this shock Satanic in nature or divine? If it is divine, then the Bible must fall and be subbordinate to it. If this shock at genocide or child murder is Satanic in nature, then yes, it would make sense that the Bible doesn't reflect universal morals, those universal morals being Satanic asthe case would be.

So, according to you, we are all just crazy Satanic people who are shocked by a truly moral benevolent God.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Nvr, if you could post something original, with your thoughts rather than relying on some cut and paste stuff, it would be much appreciated.

I've posted plenty of original thoughts about many topics.

But if I find another already went to the trouble to express similar thoughts that I'm essentially in agreement with, I'm secure enough in who I am to pass that along. If I plagiarize, that's another matter entirely. I'm just trying to see reality. Isn't that what we're all shooting for?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I concede that issues such as having multiple wives (Old Testament) versus the one man + one woman Christian law principle could be construed as morally different, however, there was a good reason for that difference (see above).

Um, we don't have to look beyond the Bible to figure out why God changed his mind. Matthew and Mark both have Jesus telling us that it was because of man's hard hearts (stubborness?) that He allows multiple wives. That makes him rather, er, human I guess. But we don't have to insinuate some greater good that was being fulifilled beyond Jesus own words, indeed if we limit our discussion to what's revealed in the Bible, we can't. And this does indeed make God look rather waffle-ish. "Don't make me stop this car! I MEAN IT NOW!"

And why would I ask fundamentalist Mormons on the EFFECTS of polygamy? We're talking Biblical morality, not how some groups feel about it.

Biblically, polygamy is fine.

"Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach," -1 Timothy 3:2

BA- By extension, to be "above reproach", any man would do so.

You imply that the conditions following "be above reproach" are merely examples and extensions of being above reproach. I wouldn't agree. How is being "able to teach" a reflection of being "above reproach"? Isn't it simpler, and therefore preferable, and plainer to see a bulleted list for overseers: be above reproach, AND have one wife, AND be temperate...

Besides, the point of the text is to show a DIFFERENCE IN STANDARDS. If we are all expected to meet the standards ot an overseer, then there is no need to have standards for an overseer. The scripture would be moot. It's much like the JW practice of expecting all to preach, though not all are commanded to preach. If no difference is needed, then the scripture is useless here.

It's clear on the face of it: overseers can have only one wife. Biblically. For others? We can either say the NT is mute (but implies endorsement, showing that the rank and file are exempt) or we can say the OT view has never changed. That would at least make God unchanging.

Looking at these things through modern spectacles, it is hard to see things as they were. Apparently the human genome allowed close mating back then without defects. Even in our day, most states allow first cousins to marry, and there are remarkably few defects as a result. Most domesticated animals are still "line-bred".

What I hear you saying then is that there is nothing wrong with having sex with your parents. As a Biblical morality. To remind you, the point is not genetics and birth defects, it's what is Biblically moral. The "cousins" argument is just red herring, we're not talking about cousins and we're not talking about the vaibility of progeny. And we're not talking about animal husbandry. I hear your support for descendents to have sex with their parents as an unchanging Biblically based moral.

Unless you are proposing that genetics is the arbiter of Biblical morality? Is that in the Bible?

That is why God gave the nation of Israel the Ten Commandments, as well as other guidelines, laws and principles in the Mosaic Covenant. God does not decide differently each day, He remains unchanged.

Then why did Jesus need to fulfill and REPLACE the law? That rather leaves the entire debate to a brief sentence: Love God, and love your neighbor as yourself. That then becomes the entire Biblical morality. Move along folks, no more to see here.

Abraham was tested to see how much faith he would put in God. If Abraham obeyed God, God knew He would spare Isaac’s life, if Abraham disobeyed God, Isaac’s life would have been spared. Either way, Isaac’s life was spared.

Either way, Isaac would have lived, as he did.

Considering this reasoning of God's is not covered in the Bible, I think I would have to reject it as speculation at best, revisionist at worst (just as we would have to go out on a fishing expedition to determine God's problem with Cain's sacrifice). The simple narrative of the Bible gives us Abraham starting the sacrifice of his son (morally acceptable) and God stops him, but the "what if" scenarios ain't there. Biblically.

different times, different place = same morals, different perspective

What I hear is a variation on the difficulty of interpretation. It's another way of saying we cannot know the morals of the Bible because we will always interpret them from a current perspective. Which just means there are no empirical, objective morals obtainable from the Bible, just different ways to read the words.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Anti-Christ,

Thanks for your understanding. I have participated in this thread, thus far, to answer the query that started this thread:

"Just a few questions. If some of you base your moral standards on the bible, how do you know what is right and wrong? I ask because the morals in the bible change a lot."

I've done so. I could continue to post away, but it's obvious that some folks on JWD (not you) either can't read or can't comprehend what they read.

I could post thousands of pages of cut and paste that I mostly agree with, but I won't. It's too much for those who wish to disgree to digest and reply to. Likewise with cut and paste jobs with the distinct agenda of creating strawmen that don't exist and lighting them on fire. Likewise with users who think it's clever to make a play on words out of someone's username. As if it wouldn't be easy to say, change Shawn10538 into SnotOU812, etc. Very childish, snotty behavior.

BA- Answers well thought out questions and comments. Doesn't answer ignoramuses.

PS- I know what and why I believe, I'm not on this thread to debate, simply to answer the original post heading. I've wasted enough time on this, Ciao!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

BA: you seem to confuse your leaps of logic with Biblical exposition. "Let's all meet the standards of overseers" and "of course Isaac would have been spared" are nice homilies, but are not supported through the words of the Bible.

In short, you've abandoned the thread without actually answering anything beyond giving your own interpretation.

Which is good, because that's really all each of us have on the subject of "Biblical morality".

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Void Eater,

Which is good, because that's really all each of us have on the subject of "Biblical morality".

Can't disgree with you there. We all reach our own conclusions. I read the Bible everyday, so I tend to think I know the subject better than most. Having stated that, however, I'd add:

"No matter where you go or what you do, you live your entire life within the confines of your head." ~Terry Josephson

BA- True that.

• emy the infidel
    emy the infidel

Not my thread, emy.

It's always a pleasure to see you.

Sorry nvr, just wanted to hear what you think after reading the article you posted. Would we all be 'free' if biblical morality was cast aside, as full of "contradictions" as it is?

This question has raged for a long time, I wanted to hear your thoughts.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Yes, emy.

I think we need to get past it already.

I am in full agreement with this excerpt from the article I put up...

It is time to stop defending the indefensible. The Bible is morally flawed, a product of its times, and many of the acts it condones are unacceptable. Obedience to the cruel dictates of this book has kept humanity in the darkness for a long time. We do not need it anymore, and we should not be afraid to cast it down merely because we are fearful of what lies on the other side. In truth, what awaits beyond this imposing black slab is the light of humanistic morality - a future where the equality of all people is recognized and the senseless bloodshed over race, religion, and country will stop. So long as humankind continues to believe in this book of blood, we will never know peace. The way to a brighter future is not to be found in a superstitious ancient text that enshrines killing as heroism and cruelty as a virtue - rather, it is something to be found within each one of us.

• 5go
    5go

Would we all be 'free' if biblical morality was cast aside, as full of "contradictions" as it is?

This question has raged for a long time, I wanted to hear your thoughts.

Yes! Gays could go out and not be worried that some one might kill them based on some misquoted two thousand year old text.

A women wouldn't have to worry about being sent to hell for leaving an abusive spouse, or vise versa.

• emy the infidel
    emy the infidel
    In truth, what awaits beyond this imposing black slab is the light of humanistic morality - a future where the equality of all people is recognized and the senseless bloodshed over race, religion, and country will stop

What awaits...this has been seen before nvr. Read about the French Revolution.

I agree with John Adams who wrote of "the light of humanistic morality", "...you and yours, have become the dupes of your own atheism and profligacy, your nonsensical notions of liberty, equality, and fraternity....Your philosophy, has waged a more cruel war on truth than was ever attempted by king or priest...There is no such thing [as morality] without the supposition of a God."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit