Biblical morals.

by Anti-Christ 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zack
    zack

War. Genocide. Arranged marraige. Assuming high political office. And, yes, SEX. And please spare me the WTS line of apology regarding the fulfillment of God's promise to Abraham, etc..... Why does God need defending? The Bible is plain about what people did and didn't do. I am tired of hearing "God allowed it."

Well, if He allowed it, who are we to now condemn it? Either He is constant and unchangeable or He isn't it.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    So do you think it's moral? You answered my question with a question.

It's not up to humans to decide what is moral, that is up to God alone. Whether God views slavery as "moral", however, versus whether he concedes that it would occur, is open to question. The fact that He did not prohibit it means He at least condones it in this imperfect portion of human history, but does not mean He promotes it. There is a difference.

BA

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

It's not up to humans to decide what is moral, that is up to God alone. Whether God views slavery as "moral", however, versus whether he concedes that it would occur, is open to question. The fact that He did not prohibit it means He at least condones it in this imperfect portion of human history, but does not mean He promotes it. There is a difference.

BA

I get what your saying and I'm glad you said it because this is the point I'm trying to make, if you base your morality on the bible there is no morality, no right from wrong, what god ( bible god) decides that day becomes the new "morality"

• Magick
    Magick

there are good morals in the bible. There are also bad precepts, foolish sayings, absurd rules and cruel laws.

intelligence and experience are our best chance for ethical growth.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    intelligence and experience are our best chance for ethical growth.
  • Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Well thank you all for your comments, I will come back tomorrow to see if there are more, good night.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    War. Genocide. Arranged marraige. Assuming high political office.

This discussion must take place within the context of the Biblical understanding of mankind's fall by way of Satan, Eve, then Adam, then all of their offspring. War is an inevitible fruit of that fall. "Genocide" if you choose to call it that, was meted out on the inhabitants of the promised land, due to their wickedness. Later, "genocide" was carried out on the nation of Israel when they became more wicked than the nations around them. The bottom line is that where there is only enough land to support 1 person, but there is competition for the land, someone will be the winner, and another the loser. "Morality" is not the correct context to view things in in the context of battle (keeping in mind that God will judge and ressurect those he wishes to, to something way better than this fleshly life). Looking at arranged marriage as "morally wrong" is a western viewpoint, who knows if it is actually better, worse, or about the same, in terms of overall happiness and success, as choosing one's own mate? Some biblical characters chose their own mate, some were arranged, where do you read a moral mandate into that? What of "high political office"? The Bible does not state that one can not be in politics or even the military, look at the example of Cornelius (Acts 10).

And, yes, SEX. And please spare me the WTS line of apology regarding the fulfillment of God's promise to Abraham, etc..... Why does God need defending? The Bible is plain about what people did and didn't do. I am tired of hearing "God allowed it."

I am far, far removed from WTS views, I base all my viewpoints and responses strictly on the Bible. Having said that, the dubs manage to get something right every now and then. Incidentally, I could easily point out how your questions regarding the points I covered above display a glaring JW-construct to them. Let's put that dog to bed. I am not defending God, I am answering the questions using the Bible. I don't care what you are "tired of". I answered the question using the Bible, deal with it.

Well, if He allowed it, who are we to now condemn it? Either He is constant and unchangeable or He isn't it.

Condemn what? He is constant and unchangeable- it is man kind that isn't. Again, you miss the point that the Bible narrative tells of man's fall and inherited sin, with a way out of sin and death through Christ's redemption. The time for Him to step in and stop "allowing" sinners to sin will come to pass, just as foretold. That doesn't mean He has changed. He has already foretold what is coming, at that time, His judgement will be final.

BA

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    I get what your saying and I'm glad you said it because this is the point I'm trying to make, if you base your morality on the bible there is no morality, no right from wrong, what god ( bible god) decides that day becomes the new "morality"

I don't see your point. You are obscuring "morals" by defining principles and allowed conditions as such. Biblical morals remain unchanged.

BA

• 5go
    5go
    Later, "genocide" was carried out on the nation of Israel when they became more wicked than the nations around them.

So killing them all is ok. I thought Hitler used a simular logic in sending the Jews and the Gypsies to the camps.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

5go,

So sorry that context is out of your intellectual grasp, really.

BA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit