Biblical morals.

by Anti-Christ 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 5go
    5go
    So poligamy, slavery, incest and the like are OK if it helps the nation of Israel grow in numbers?

That begs a question! Why not allow it to grow christian numbers? Why the change in morals?

• changeling
    changeling

You can rationalize these things all you like, but their practice (in any context and period of history) is demeaning.

To worship a God who allowed such to further his interests, and to defend him for it ,is something I refuse to do.

In fact, this is one issue that proves to me that we are evolving.

In the past, human consciousness allowed man to do things that today we see as harmful.

Today, most of us are past this animalistic stage.

It behoves us all to move on even farther and by our example help others to grow so future generations can be more enlightened.

When we defend and promote the mores of the past we stagnate our progress.

changeling

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    Why not allow it to grow christian numbers?

Christian numbers grow by conversion, not birth. Christ instituted the New Covenant. The true nation of Israel are all those who do God's will, as they always were. Genetic heritage from Jacob (Israel), with fleshly circumcision and adherence to the Mosaic law, was replaced with spiritual circumcision of the heart, and the law of love.

Why the change in morals?

There is no change in morals.

BA

• 5go
    5go
    PS- 5go, you are assuming that the onset of menstruation has not changed, I am assuming nothing, simply pointing out that it is unkown what effect thousands of years has had on the onset of menstruation.

First off your denying human biology to prove your point. You are also making the assumsion that no one back then could have an early pueberty.

Like I said you are proving yourself not to be credible. Would you like to submit evidence to the current uderstanding of how female biology works go ahead.

• 5go
    5go
    Christian numbers grow by conversion, not birth.

You mean the christains recently converted over a billion people.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

5go,

As usual, you are repeating yourself. I've answered your question already, and I'll not repeat myself again.

The sad fact is you lack reading comprehension skills. Get a better education.

BA- Incidentally, "Christians" are not those who call themselves such, but those who display the fruits of the Holy Spriit.

• changeling
    changeling

It's almost 1:00 AM here, I'm sleepy.

Good night guys,

changeling

• 5go
    5go

5go,

As usual, you are repeating yourself. I've answered your question already, and I'll not repeat myself again.

The sad fact is you lack reading comprehension skills. Get a better education.

BA

Nice keep saying that.

Why the change in morals?

There is no change in morals.

BA

Different times, different place.

Polygamy- still practiced by outlaw mormons, ask them how well it works, not me. I've seen TV reports where all of them seem to be happy. Just because modern society deems something to be wrong (or right), does not make it so. Admittedly, it's hard to put ourselves in that position. But if we lived in those times, if you really try to put yourself into those times, living as a tribe, in the wilderness, it makes sense and had many advantages.

Slavery- Already covered that, better a live slave than a dead "freeman". We are all slaves, you and I included.

Incest- Looking at these things through modern spectacles, it is hard to see things as they were. Apparently the human genome allowed close mating back then without defects. Even in our day, most states allow first cousins to marry, and there are remarkably few defects as a result. Most domesticated animals are still "line-bred".

Life as a tribe in the wilderness surrounded by opposing tribes who wanted everything you lived for at any cost was a fact of life in those days (OT). Read history on any tribal society, even to our day, and it gives a different perspective to what you might judge as "moral" given our comfy existence in twenty first century western society.

Can you correct your logic here. You sound like you are talking out of both sides of your mouth on this.

You say "well the times and places change so do the morals". Then a couple of post later you say "no morals never change".
  • Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

5go,

You say "well the times and places change so do the morals".

I never said that, you did.

BA- Thanks for once again proving my point.

PS- Perspectives may change, but not morals.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

It's not up to humans to decide what is moral, that is up to God alone. Whether God views slavery as "moral", however, versus whether he concedes that it would occur, is open to question. The fact that He did not prohibit it means He at least condones it in this imperfect portion of human history, but does not mean He promotes it. There is a difference.

BA

don't see your point. You are obscuring "morals" by defining principles and allowed conditions as such. Biblical morals remain unchanged.

BA

If you abstain from doing something it's because you decided it was wrong. If you allow yourself to do something it's because you decided it was right. Now if Yahweh decides that he is going to destroy a city because of "sexual depravity" and then kills a women just because she looked back and after he does not do anything to two women who get there father drunk to have sex with him because they want children, how can they in those days figure out what is right and wrong? Well I can answer that, by what god decides that day. Like you said it's not up to us it's up to god. If Yahweh would ask you " take your only son and sacrifice him to me on that mountain" well even if every fiber in your body is telling you not to do that because you feel it's wrong, that just to bad you have to do it or Yahweh is going to kill you or worst.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit