Throwing the Baby out with the Bathwater Goodbye Watchtower Hello Nothing?

by Magick 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I couldn't hvae said this better:

there is no more reason to believe in God than there is to believe in the Easter Bunny. The fact that there are many things we do not know about the universe is not proof that God did it.

nj

• Mulan
    Mulan

very well written and thought provoking.

I went through all of that 10-12 years ago. I know exactly what you are saying.

After all my research, and thinking (yes, I am a deep thinker) I have come to the conclusion that I am an atheist. I feel so silly for having been fooled my entire life. I do understand why people believe in god, and am not critical of them for their faith, But that's all it is..............faith. Give me facts!!

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

hi destructo-girl! when it became clear to me that the truth(TM) aint true at all, i felt similar: a big depressing void in front of me. but that's just because i was used to have the society fill it up all the time. now it's time to fill the void yourself. at one point i suddenly was aware, that it's not a big depressing void, but a huge space without limits to be filled with free thought. when you start looking at it like this, you are so happy you aren't filled with all that crap anymore...

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

..."Be careful not to discard something of value with something that is of no value."

Dear Magik,

Thank you for your heartfelt post! I agree!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• proplog2
    proplog2

Magick:

Very well written. The only thing I would add is the danger of being a fanatic.

There are "doubts" which result from seeing inconsistencies. If you are a very creative person you can live with doubts a long time - knowing that things have a way of sorting themselves out. You become patient - waiting for a solution. These are usually the faders.

Then there are the impatient ones who can't tolerate ambiguity and dump the religion. They leave and never look back.

The real problem people are the "fanatics". They can't tolerate ambiguity and decide to smother their doubts in "zeal". Instead of resolving their own doubts they attack others who doubt. Instead of getting rid of their doubts through a reasoned analysis they try to get rid of the doubters. They externalize their conflict. When these types finally exit THEY become the radical - rabid - "apostates".
    They see themselves on a crusade and while they may attract a following of other former fanatics they muddy the waters for those who are trying to find a reason based exit.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Very good post.

I have noticed many times people on the board trying to define all religious experiences by the "all or nothing" approach that has been taught to them by the JWs.

Each must figure this out for themselves, but it is important to do so apart from ideas that may have stuck with us from the JWs.

• destructo-girl
    destructo-girl

Thank you for the welcome, Awakened07.

jgnat, I totally loved what you said at the end of your post- "My hats off to you all. It's a large job rebuilding your entire belief set, your morals and ethics. You are facing chaos head-on and making your life your own. You walk alone, and you stand tall.
    There are very few people in the world who look that deeply within. Bravo."
    I know it wasn't specifically to me, but it's really made me feel good, sort of purposeful. I've copied into my list of favourite quotes, cheers!

Thanks Superfine, its good to know that there's people out there who get how I'm feeling. There's no-one I know off the internet who understands this stuff. It is like a void, you're right, I hope I come to see it as a good thing like you do.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

One might also draw a parallel to those that leave the witnesses, but still feel the urge to "save" people.

My experience taught me to check the bathwater first. Guess what, I didn't find any babies in it. *toss*

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

My first session with a therapist, explaining to her the religious escape I was dealing with was those very words, Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

A good friend of mine and a poster here, said the worst thing the WT did to me, was to take away my belief in God.

The best help and advice I have been given on the board is from James Thomas, to look within oneself, the answers are all there.

Great post, glad to see you posting more!!!

purps

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

If as a child you were taught to believe in Santa to entertain adults with your amazed look each Christmas Day, you may understand having lived a pleasant lie with a belief in something amazing that never existed. How to replace it is not really the question though your heart keeps searching for it, having gotten into the habit for so many years. Learning to become part of what you do know exists is where you are at and sadly you may be years behind your peer group, which is why places like this can be so comforting and help you find others who genuinely understand making your way around the ruins, which were once castles in the air that have led you to despair.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit