Went off outside walmart.

by dogon 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• dogon
    dogon

I was loading my purchase in my car yesterday when I saw out of the corner of my eye a 20 something man in suit and tie walk up to me and he was holding what I knew was a watchtower.

After 30 years of slavery and I was running late I went off on him, Before he could even open his mouth I said, I was part of your cult for 30 years before I left.

He asked what made me leave, I told him that if when christ came invisibly to earth in 1914 and saw russell and his little group of bible students were the only people who had it right and so gave him authority over his earthly preaching work, why would you be disfellowshiped for teaching anything russell tought? If the bible says that a person who predicts something to happen and it does not come to pass he is a false profit and the society had not been right on one thing, I told him I lived through [stay alive till 75] and knew many who sold their homes and had enough to live on just until 75 and again nothing happend, Did he know that the second pres. ruthaford lived in a mansion in cal. and said the end of the world would come in 1925? that russell used the piramids of egypt to predict the end of the world?

I said I did n ot have time for this and told him to get on the internet and read about his cult.

As I drove away, I felt bad for going off on this guy, he walked into to 30 years of pent up emotion and I blew some of the presure at him.

The damage this religion has done to me and my family is unrepairable and still holds many many scars, I get so angry when I see them walking around handing out their magazines, but then as I drove off I rememberd I once walked around thinking I was on the right road trying to give someone a magazine.

It makes me even mader that it still has this affect on me. Just when I thought I was getting over the anger it floods back at a moments notice. I moved at least in a small part to hot springs arkansas to get away from my family who looked or looks down on my life because I do not buy in to crazy anymore.

Dont you just want to go to brooklyn and grab a couple of the GB and wrap your hands around their necks? And with this Religous nut job in the white house pushing our country into the ground, I have just about had my fill of god and religion. I am all stocked up on crazy for life. I do not need any more.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

(don't know what to say, but didn't want to go away silent)

~Merry

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I had an odd over emotional reaction recently too, and I understand that feeling of being upset that it can still make you mad.

I know too that feeling of not wanting to go off at JW's because I can remember being on the other side of the fence and being completely genuine about it even though I was wrong.

Still, you made some excellent points! I wish I could be that fluent at the drop of a hat. Im sure if hes a thinking person he will think about what you have said, and if he isnt a thinking person you wont have done any harm to his ego or his world view. In fact you will have done him a favour by persecuting him for being in the 'true' religion!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You made some great points, who knows, one day they may click with him. The pent up anger at being deceived and manipulated by a cult is hard to get over, I too struggle to control my emotions every time I speak to a JW and wonder how long before I can move on. At least in Aus we don't have to deal with the high level of extreme fundmentalism that seems to exist in the US

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Believe me when I say, "We understand!"

On another board I frequent, I'm often holding back so much anger at the JWS who post there. They are so sanctimonious, and will NEVER give a straight answer. I have to step back...take a deep breath and HOLD IT!

• monophonic
    monophonic

looking back on when i was "in" and a pioneer and had people go off on me, looking back now, i completely understand it....and there was something deep inside me that understood it at the time, but i couldn't come to grips with it b/c i wasn't ready to challenge my belief system.

jws do represent something very wrong.

even though it's best to treat people with respect, every once in a while we all lose it....and that's ok b/c it's human. i say don't beat yourself up over it. his take will either be 'he was persecuted for righteousness' and should 'consider it all joy', or you may have given him enough umph to do some research and stop promoting such a destructive belief system.

also, he approached you, you didn't seek him out to give him a piece of your mind....they need to be ready to 'defend their faith' even though it hangs by a thread.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Believe me when I say, "We understand!"

On another board I frequent, I'm often holding back so much anger at the JWS who post there. They are so sanctimonious, and will NEVER give a straight answer. I have to step back...take a deep breath and HOLD IT!

ditto

Just had one of them say she couldn't continue to discuss Biblical topics with me anymore because I turned my back on Jehovah as soon as she found out I walked away from the Watchtower Society because I believe the Bible when it says something that contradicts Watchtower doctrine.

• dawg
    dawg

Isn't that typical Honesty?

I had an old man and another younger man come to my door, knock on it even though a sign is on my door and it says not to knock. I went out and there they stood. I asked the what Beth Sarim was? They didn't know, so I said, "then why don't you stop knocking on my door, go home and research your religion becasue I know 5 times more about it than you do. You shouldn't be knocking on doors talking about a religion in which you know nothing about"... idiots!

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Hi Dogon,

Don't know if this will help or not, but the emotional reaction of a former JW whom I encountered at the door actually helped me a few years later when I exited (although at that time I was in full program mode and clueless). It wasn't really her words that remained in my memory, it was her palpable pain.Her HUMAN reaction to the horror of being in an authoritative cult for most of her life. In contrast to the squelched emotions of my "brothers and sisters," it was like spring rain to my dying authentic self.

• oompa
    oompa

Dogon, no harm done....maybe even some good. You should probably get this out more...seems like it is still festering. I am trying therepy and have no clue if or how it will work, but figure it can't hurt.....oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit