What about your JW past are you thankful for?

by nvrgnbk 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, let's see - so much criticism that I have low self-esteem to this day. Rejection on many levels. Discrimination because I am female. Sixteen years in a horrible family situation with a dangerous alcoholic homicidal father who was supposed to be respected because he was god's representative, the head of our family. No education. Friends who turned out not to be friends. Endless mind-numbingly boring meetings and field service. Nope, not thankful for any of it. And nvr, you asked your question clearly enough. You just didn't get the answers you were looking for.

• R.F.
    R.F.

Public speaking, and just speaking to others casually with confidence. I was unusually shy prior to my active JW years.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

About the only good thing I came away with is not being prejudiced against different races. That's about it.

• ChelseaScott
    ChelseaScott

I am thankful for talks. I became a great public speaker because of them! I am also thankful for the basic everyday values that I was taught. However I would probably been taught thoughs regardless of the religion.

• Quentin
    Quentin
    What about your JW past are you thankful for?

It's in the past.....yet, as others have commented public speaking was a positive ...that ability has served me well from time to time...

• okie46
    okie46

I am thankful for these things that I learned:

1. How to empathize with others and show love to them.

2. How to forgive others, even when someone doesn't deserve it, instead of holding a grudge and letting the bad feelings destroy my soul.

3. How to read and study deep information, how to put together a public speech and give it without being nervous, being able to speak to anyone about anything,

4. How to talk with other people about topics that may be controversial, how to deal with rejection, how to sell myself.

5. How to stand up for what I believe in, even though that eventually meant leaving the organization when I could no longer believe what they were saying.

6. How to reason with my children and to be able to not repeat the cycle of child abuse, so that my children did not receive the abuse that I received as a child.

7. To not be ashamed to be different. Because even though I am no longer a JW, I am still different in many ways from others, due to my upbringing. Now I am learning to use my experiences in the organization, both positive and negative to be a more open minded person.

8. I am thankful that all three of my children had the same father. I am thankful that I had some guidance in raising my children, as they were wonderful children and gave me no grief as teenagers, they have become intelligent, well mannered, productive adults.

9. I am thankful that I was taught to feel love and appreciate people of all races and backgrounds.

10. I am thankful that it gives my Mother a place that she can feel love and support in her old age.

• LearningToFly
  • LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

For me.. the only good thing that came from the regimented upbringing was being able to speak in public.. and appear not afraid. All the little talks one had to prepare and deliver in front of a 100 people or so majorally helped with speaking out later on in life. Many need toastmasters to come to that place, so for me, that was the one and only thing that benifited me.

And from the experience of being shunned.. I learned to tolerate others in a much different way than I may have before. I learned to accept people for who they were, other than labeling and putting people into boxes that are neither accurate nor real.

LTF

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

To be absolutely honest I don't feel a single thing. It leaves me void. On an analytical level respecting its philosophy I would say the zero war ambition and the mindset to judge noone as being evil except to beseech them to turn away from works that intend to hurt others. The ability to look at any human on Earth and treat them with the respect as a part of Gods creation. This is what I feel - it is a Buddhist feeling that speaks to me when I write it though I do not know any. If I were thrown into a war zone like some soldiers are then I cannot say how long I would last or whether I would react to those attempting to kill me. If loved ones were around me it would be maybe impossible for me not to try and protect them. So everything is a relative experience though I would never wish or want anyones death or suffering. My heart believes and feels it is pointless. It is what numbs my soul as to humanity - when I see pain instead of love!

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I don't have to say much here to answer that question:
    - Not a bloody thing!

Jack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit