What about your JW past are you thankful for?

by nvrgnbk 61 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

In the interest of self-healing and finding the peace that comes from being grateful, can you think of anything at all that was positive about having been one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Not to be misunderstood with missing something about it, is there something about the experience that has enriched you?

To answer the question myself, being forced to face the fallacies of the teachings of JWism, I was also prompted to look past those teachings and reevaluate everything I believed in.

That experience was frightening and unsettling, but I'm thankful for it.

I now have a greater appreciation for life in all its wonder than I did when I took it for granted as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I'm more determined now to find meaning in this life, after having lived for so long for a future that was never to arrive.

• dawg
    dawg

Dude, I've got to be honest with you.... I'm not thankful for none of that shit. There's not one day that goes by where I'm not sick to the core for having that monkey on my back... I wonder everyday what this life of mine could have been if I wasn't 45 years behind the 8-ball.

I'm trying to go to law school next year... 45 freaking years old and having to do something I should have done years ago... and will it make me economically stable? Maybe not. And as for love, I have no love in this life, no family at all, it's going to be tough to find love on the salary of a student... na, I'm in deep shit and its going to be hard to swim my way out of it.

I'm not thankful for that at all.

• oompa
    oompa

I can give five minute public talks in as little as five minutes notice and know some Greek and Hebrew words......oompa

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Dude, I've got to be honest with you.... I'm not thankful for none of that shit. There's not one day that goes by where I'm not sick to the core for having that monkey on my back... I wonder everyday what this life of mine could have been if I wasn't 45 years behind the 8-ball.

I'm trying to go to law school next year... 45 freaking years old and having to do something I should have done years ago... and will it make me economically stable? Maybe not. And as for love, I have no love in this life, no family at all, it's going to be tough to find love on the salary of a student... na, I'm in deep shit and its going to be hard to swim my way out of it.

I'm not thankful for that at all.

I've seen you show love on here, dawg. Concern for others you don't even know. You know that same love is felt towards you.

I know someone in your day-to-day must love you as well. You have often shown your integrity and courage by pointing out religious error to others. Your JW past is what gives you the perspective to be able to do that.

Sounds like you're having a bad time of it right now, but I've read you happier on here in times past.

I hope things get better for you, dawg.

• erynw
    erynw

I know the order of the books of the bible.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

There's nothing of value in the 20 years I wasted. Anything I might have learned from the experience could have been learned in many other ways without the damaging consequences. It's like eating shit just to see if it really tastes bad. There's no real benefit to it.

W

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Maybe some illustrations would help.

LOL!

I think the intent of my question was not clear.

When some come out of a bad marriage, it means they'll never take a good relationship for granted, knowing how bad it can suck otherwise.

When some lose everything they own in a disater, it gives them a new perspective on what really matters.

When someone survives a battle with an illness, or is in the midst of the battle, it often gives them a new way of looking at life.

I'm not saying anyone should ever seek to suffer. But suffer we have. All of us. We have to accept it and see if we can turn the negative into a positive. Don't we? Otherwise, what's the point?

• oompa
    oompa
    You have often shown your integrity and courage by pointing out religious error to others. Your JW past is what gives you the perspective to be able to do that.

Hold on NVR...You may want to reconsider that. Don't give credit where it is not due....lots of never JW's point out religious errors to others......oompa

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Ok, when we recently put my mom's house up for sale I knew how to clean the windows, and it really made the place look better. I still have my ladders, extension poles, and a couple of good squeegees.

W

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Ok, oompa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit