Are there things you can't get rid of?

by faundy 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• faundy
    faundy

*Stands by earlier, ironically more relevant (now) comment.*

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I disassociated myself in 1990 after being in for 10 years. I celebrated a few holidays and did some other things not JW approved during the 11 years I was out. ALWAYS felt guilty because I still believed it was the truth.

Went back 6 years ago.

I just found out the truth about the truth in April of this year. I feel guilty for nothing.

It is not the truth, it is all lies and it has absolutely no control over what I allow myself to enjoy. Now I decide what is truth and what is acceptable.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

A&W:Now I decide what is truth and what is acceptable.

So true, that may be the best thing for me about leaving. My husband and kids and I make our own decisions, without unwanted input. If we decide to not do something it is simply because we don't want to.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

It gets better with time and practice...

• Dagney
    Dagney

I started saying "Bless you" when I was still in. One day I felt ridiculous when I was the only one NOT saying it. I figured out it was really just a common courtesy without all the religious implications the JW's put on it, and I like being courteous so it was an easy change.

I also started saying "Happy Holidays" before I left because I really wished that for people, and I still say that. I am "holiday light" so it's a little hard to verbalize "Merry Christmas," but will get more comfortable with time.

I'm getting better with "Happy Birthday," again, I just think to myself I really do wish it for the person and it makes it easier.

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

I did that today i went to say goodluck and instead said fortunate, then i realised that i could say goodluck or whatever i wanted.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I get shy when I have to be the one to start the "Happy Birthday" song, I don't know why maybe it just my singing really sucks

• glenster
    glenster

Can someone help me out--what's the official JWs leaders' line on saying
    "Bless you" (often, but not only, said to someone who sneezed)? I'm guessing
    it's one of those cooked up rules the JWs leaders meant to establish their ex-
    clusiveness with along the lines of "You know who celebrated the birth of
    Christ? Pagans" or "evil Christendom, " etc. But "You know who blessed people?
    Ancient pagans" just sounds like a straight line to base jokes on.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bless_you
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blessing

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

What I was told:

Don't say "bless you" to a Sneezer because it comes from the Pagan ritual of tyring to make sure a sneeze-expelled demon doesn't go back into your body. We don't engage in such false beliefs or practices as banishing demons from sneezes.

Other "bless you" teachings is that we as imperfect humans have no ability to bless anyone. Only God can bless.

Can't quote a WT on those, but that's how I was raised and I think I remember reading about the "Pagan practice" of saying Gesundheit ("bless you") - about the same time as reading about the Pagan (and therefore Satanic) origins of cameo jewelry.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Can someone help me out--what's the official JWs leaders' line on saying
    "Bless you" (often, but not only, said to someone who sneezed)?

Within just the last few years they reenforced their stand on "invoking a blessing," which was specifically aimed at this issue. I couldn't believe it.

To bestow a blessing on a family, a person or a thing is and was a Jewish tradition, and it is scriptural.

IMHO, saying "Bless You" when someone sneezes is a cultural courtesy where I come from and will continue to say it no matter what meshuga story the WTBS comes up with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit