Are there things you can't get rid of?

by faundy 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• glenster
    glenster

It's like Mother's Day. "You know who loved their mothers? Pagans. I've
    seen them--right out in public like they didn't care who saw." Some people
    read the Bible then later lost their faith--pagans have done everything. "You
    know who breaths? Pagans."

It would probably be easier to try to think of something pagans didn't do
    then do that, but what would it be? They've done everything.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I have a difficult time with Holidays, Birthdays and the Like. It's not that I disagree with them or don't celebrate. I just don't get excited.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

For me it took time and a deliberate effort to do certain things. Most things I really enjoy now - voting is a biggie for me, and I really like being able to join in singing Happy Birthday (my 2 year old granddaughter's favourite song!).

I have to confess, though, that I find Christmas a bit much - the first few years we went all out and made it a big deal, but I found that everyone in my family was getting edgy and unhappy and sometimes it was not turning out well at all. At first I had the awful thought that maybe things weren't going well because there was something wrong in celebrating Xmas (the deeply ingrained JW paranoia). Then I realized that we had never had the opportunity to develop a tradition around xmas, so in many ways it feels forced and artificial. I think it's important to try and make each of these things your own (hehe - sounds like a JW song, don't it?) rather than try to just imitate how "the world" does them. I'm quite comfortable now picking and choosing the things I want to celebrate or participate in, like normal people! - not everyone says "bless you" for example, not everyone celebrates Halloween, some of us feel uncomfortable with blood transfusions as a medical treatment - just because we are now free to do these things doesn't mean we have to do them.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I just got comfortable this year shopping in real stores for Christmas decorations where there was some risk of getting caught. Formerly, I ordered online where there was none. I went to Wal-Mart (albeit at 9:00 AM on a weekday morning) to buy some tinsel garland, and I have bought lights and ornaments at a supermarket where I had seen Witlesses shop on average of once every 6 months. Displaying them where they will be visible from a highway behind my apartment is nothing this year.

Most of the other major problems were independent of my being a Witless. Having mean-spirited non-Witless parents can provide many a hangup as well, including being on the stingy side when it comes to donations to the Salvation Army or the Red Cross. At least now I can recommend those charities, as well as others that provide emergency relief services for those who fall into hardship for no fault of their own.

As for giving to any charity that might help my tormentors in the Witlesses when they get old and broke, I will not give. Those people did not fall into an emergency, but they brought it down on themselves. And they had the nerve to order me to just meet other men. I also will never give another dime to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. (At least I was also stingy when it came to donating to that organization, too.)

• bite me
    bite me

Hi,

I am familar with all the ya d da's of saying "God Bless You" or "Bless You". I also feel that there is nothing wrong, I was taught that it was just common curtosy to say it. I do have a question though, I've also learned that JW's do not say "Good Luck". I did notice that was mentioned on this thread, but for what reason is that on the list of cannot do/say? I always did wonder why when I told someone good luck on the test, they looked at me like I said something wrong. I'd like to know the reason of this. Thanks!

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

I know that this year, I am simply going to work on not being disgusted and adverse when I see holiday stuff, hear the songs, or someone says a holiday greeting.

If I can, I'll let myself hum or sing along, or even say one back, I mean its not as if I have a tree up or anything.

Not saying I won't ever, but just baby steps.

Simply recognizing the lack of power these things have will be a pretty significant step, I mean humming 'rockin' around the christmas tree' isn't gonna make me bird food in the "big A" coming soon to a world near you.

I guess we all gotta 'make the world your own'

RD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit