dog the bounty hunter

by BR25 51 Replies latest jw friends

• BrentR
    BrentR

If African american kids did not use the n word then it would be mute point, right?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

If no one use the word it would be a mute point...remember this topic is about Dog Chapman using the word who is apparently not a black man.

• dinah
    dinah

Mrs. Jones,

I pray your children never hear that coming from a white child either. My daughter has a couple of times, it hurts. But she is a strong girl. I'm proud of her.

I know there are things more important than beauty but she puts all the white girls to shame in that department. She looks like Halle Berry with a little Beyonce thrown in for good measure.

• eclipse
    eclipse
    You certainly haven't offend me - however - you should read more history. White people have been enslaved for many years past - have you never heard of the slave trade between Africa and the British Isles? Never heard of the English selling off their own to plantation owners or stealing their own children to sell off? Many poor white English were sold off/auctioned off or 'indentured' by that government to the wealthy Americans prior to the African slave trade. sammieswife.

Thanks, I did not remember that part.

But I was refering to the scenerio of the majority of the white population being considered property.

• AnneShirley
    AnneShirley

Respectfully I disagree, if NO ONE used the word it would still retain all it's power to shock and offend when a hate monger used it!

If EVERYONE used it then it would lose it's power completely.

I think everyone should use it at least 10 times a day for the next year and by the end of the year no one will CARE about that word anymore! If everyone got up in the morning walked out side and screamed NIGGGGGGGGGGGGER at the top of their lungs then when some pin head 80 year old KKK hate monger said it would anyone get offended? Would it automaticly get him on TV to spread his hate? NO, no one would even pay attention! To kill this word it needs to just be over used to the point that it means nothing!

By the way this is MKR posting on his wife's laptop so don't blame HER for the post! ;-)

• hambeak
    hambeak

Can't seem to get in

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

A couple of posters have suggested that everyone talks like this in private and if it was meant to be a private conversation, then it shouldn't be broadcast or held against him. Another poster said that everyone swears and calls each other names to some extent in private even if there is no racist connotation.

I do not believe that is true. I think it is a cop-out for bad behaviour. While it may be true that the majority of people use offensive language of some sort, I think there are a minority of people, both white and black who refuse to resort to name calling and bad language of any sort towards anyone, whether racially motivated or otherwise. I won't claim to be perfect in this regard (swearing, mostly to the cosmos, not directed at anyone) but that is the ideal I strive for and teach my son to strive for. If I slip up occassionally, I don't try to justify my bad speech under any circumstances. There is no justification.

I have met other people (yes, not JW's) who do not pepper their speech with swear words and name calling in public or private. Our speech is a reflection of what is inside us. Anyone who uses the n-word does have some racist beliefs or inclinations at the core, whether they admit it or not. That includes black people who use the word. Yes, it is possible to be racist against your own race.

Changing the world happens by changing the collective consciousness. Changing the collective happens by each member changing themselves. One person at a time.

Cog

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

But when you get right down to it what GIVES these words their power? Isn't it the fact that we DON'T use them that gives them that power?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Mkr, I think there is great validity in your point and also in Ann Shirley's. The intent of the user is key. Is the intent to take away the power of abuser's words and reclaim personal power for the individual? Or is the intent of the speaker to tear down and denigrate? I make no distinction between white and black. When writers such as Alice Walker use such words, or Spike Lee, they shine a spotlight on racism and send a clear message. When the gangster on the street, "calls his friend n****r, or his girlfriend, ho or bitch, is that the intent? I don't think so. When white, middle class kids copy this language and behaviour (make gangster signs) it is worse than ridiculous, IMO. Nobody is enlightened or elevated by this speech or behaviour. Everyone is just dragged into the mire of degradation to wallow together. I think that's the message Bill Cosby was making in his now infamous speech.

Yes, when the Ku Klux Klan march by the window, by all means, all the black people lean out and shout the "n" word until it is meaningless. For white people it is a little trickier. If you are going to shout the "n" word, you better make sure it is damn clear to everyone exactly whose side you are standing on and what your intention is!

Cog

• observador
    observador

He should have stuck to his guns and explained that he wasn't a racist on Larry King show; that it was just a moment of rage, normal to any human. I think most people would have understood. But, no! He went on to cry his a$$ off and ask for forgiveness to anyone and everyone with a half ear to listen.

He was so pathetic!

Not a dog at all. Just a pathetic chicken.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit