Crocs and assisted suicide attempts

by RisingEagle 34 Replies latest jw friends

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

They are the shoes that everyone loves to hate. They are also the shoes that have fans that will disregard what others in this world say about them in regards to fashion and taste. If you wear and love them, you just don't care, your feet are happy and that's all that matters. They've been called garden shoes, hippy shoes and clown shoes. You see them or knockoffs of them on sale at Walmart as well as Nordstrom. They're called Crocs.

I first encountered them in Denver while walking through the mall. They were the ugliest shoes I've ever seen, and I've seen or worn them all -Dansko's, Birkenstocks, Merrell's, Moonboots and Earth shoes. For a time I even tried my hand at selling women's shoes and have seen the various instruments of torture often called 'fashion'. But this was a first, blue plastic with round puncture holes and a ridiculous strap that could be worn on top of the foot or behind the ankle. For fun, I tried on a pair and, amazingly, I was hooked. I listened to my wife's comments of derision, put them aside and walked on in pride. I wore them with jeans, with khaki pants and once more to my wife's chagrin, with shorts.

Until, they tried to kill me, not once, but twice.

The first time was over the recent labor day weekend. I wore them to a popular natural waterfall park in Southern Oklahoma. My thinking was what could be a better water shoe than one made of plastic with lots of holes to allow water to escape? After walking around the sandy shore I tried to make my way across some rocks and the damn things slid right off the algae leaving me with a large purple bruise on my left hip. I left an impression on the rock as well the hispanic family picnicking on the nearby shore. "Senor, are ju ho-kay?" I wasn't, but my pride or adrenaline got me back to my car.

The second time was today. I was hanging plastic sheeting attached to wooden 1x2's helping some folks get ready for a haunted house. I was at the top of an eight foot ladder and was climbing down and did not notice that some of the plastic was on one of the rungs. I tried to plant my left foot and was moving my right foot down to the next rung. My left foot slipped left kicking over the ladder, and my body went right. I landed on my right hip, right shoulder blade and head. I must have tried to break my fall with my right hand, also. It knocked the wind out of me and I actually saw stars. After the initial shock, I drove myself home, popped some ibuprofen and iced my wrist. Later I decided it was time to get it x-rayed and drove myself to my wife's hospital. Not the smartest move, but again I was probably working on pure adrenaline. Four hours later I was seen by a doctor in the ER. I have a bruised backside, a bruised scapula, a broken wrist and a goose egg on my head.

Needless to say my beloved Crocs are now in the trashbin. So the next time so see a loved one or relative wearing the shoes that you hate for sheer fashion sense alone, tell them they might die if they wear them. Friends don't let friends wear Crocs.

(forgive my discombobulated post, Lortab does that to me)

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Not at *all* the story I thought I was going to read...

Sorry to hear your tale of woe~! Was this actually your experience? DId you write this article??

-Aude.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Yes ma'am, this was all my experience. I'm a pretty bad typist anyway, but that post took me 43 minutes to pound out.

• tula
    tula

You might want to check out these shoes. My therapist recommends it. I have not tried them yet. I have birkenstock and ecco.

MBT transforms hard even surfaces into soft uneven ones.

Unlike conventional shoes that support and cushion your feet, the unique construction of the MBT challlenges your muscles to be more active

:: Medical & Therapy ::

A Swiss concept that exceeds all expectations

Physiotherapists, osteopaths & chiropractors recommend the use of MBT to successfully help prevent and treat injuries.
    Through the biomechanical function of MBT, the muscles, joints and spine begin to function anatomically. Joint wear is reduced,and with it pain.
    With every step taken, MBT is therapeutic and simultaneously preventative.

Learn more about using the MBT for medical application and therapy by contacting MBT Southyorkshire on Tel: 0114-2302030 or Email: [email protected]

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

You tell a good story. Sorry about the bruised and battered body - and the defunct shoes.

Bummer.

Thanks for sharing. It helped replace the gruesome images in my brain from the scientology post.

-Aude.

• tnangel73
    tnangel73

I was thinking, "surely not 'the shoes' Crocs," then I read. I have 3 pairs. My podiatrist (sp?) also sells them but I did not know that until I after I started going to her. Anyway, I love them but I have returned to wearing athletic shoes when I am not working. I wear steel toe shoes at work. I wish they made steel toe crocs...

• Kudra
    Kudra

I am ALWAYS slipping in my damn crocs.

What pisses me off is that they were supposedly designed for wear on boat decks as they give good traction.

Boat decks?!?!?!

Good traction!??!?!

Get on a slick surface and your feet go right out from under you!

but they are so comfy. I love wearing them

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

What the hell where you THINKING!? Crocs (I'm wearing a pair as we speak, however mine have the holes in the shapes of mickey mouses) are NOT work boots nor are they rock climbing gear. That was just crazy!

If your a nurse wear crocs to work everyone else get some dang boots!

Climbing a ladder in crocs... Don't blame the shoes for that one my friend!

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Tula: Thank you, my father-in-law has a pair of those and likes them very much. I appreciate your input.

tnangel73: Steel toed crocs is an interesting thought.

Kudra: I didn't know they were marketed for boats. That's kinda scary!

mkr32208: I deserve every word you said and more. Just to clarify though, I wasn't rock climbing the first time I fell. It was more like walking on rocks in shallow water. I don't own workboots as I've never had any use for them. I'm a three pair of shoes person, one black, one tennis and I wore the crocs for leisure. I just happened to take the call to help out when I was wearing the crocs. I liked what you said about 'if you're a nurse wear Crocs,' my wife IS is a nurse and she won't wear 'em. Thanks

• horrible life
    horrible life

althttp://www1.jibbitz.com/stylizer/index.php Don't throw them away just yet, you can decorate them also. I made you a pair, but couldn't cut and paste them.

Oh, Eagle, I am so sorry!!! I don't know how you made it hours with a broken wrist. Ibuprophen, huh, didn't cut the pain?? My grandmother 35 years ago, was dancing New Years Eve, and fell and broke both wrists. Couldn't do anything. A boy in my daughters class, was leaving an enclosed trampoline, hopped out, and fell to the ground, broke both arms and wrists. So it could have been worse.

I didn't even know there were 3 stregnths to Loratab, until a junkie patient wanted to play "Lets make a deal" with the Dr. I worked for. there are 5mg, 7.5 mg, and 15mg??? She wanted the big ones, Dr. said 5, so she would settle for 7.5. She got 5mg. LOL

Hope you got the real good ones!! Keep it elevated, hope it didn't swell too much. Do you have a cast yet, or are they waiting? Did they xray everything? Could you have a concussion? Do you have AFLAC?? LOL Don't laugh, you might hurt yourself.

Don't think we are going to the game Saturday. Thinking of selling our tickets. Child has football game in Kelleyville on Friday night. So husband and I thought, we would go to that game, and kidnap her, (she really likes riding the bus, go figure, with the band, she says its fun, and boys are nuts, they laugh the whole way) We thought we would spend the night somewhere, and drive to the game, in Norman. Nooooo

Child has compitition in Durant the next day, Saturday. We thought, Ok, we can still do this. If we can get manage to get her to be one of the first to compete, Its usually first come, first serve. Band directior could pull some strings. Then we found out it is a 7:00pm kick-off.

My husband looked at me, and said, "Its going to be cold. It's too late to drive home, Hotels are probably booked, as they usually are, in night games. Wanna sell our tickets, and watch it on TV?"

I say SELL!!!!!!

Hope you get some good rest this week, tomorrow, you are going to feel like a truck hit you. Sorry. You don't bounce like you did, when you were a kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit