My Journey

by Frenchy 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Welcome Maxee and Pathofthorns. I find a lot in common with you two (as well as with what has become a band of friends to me here on this board) as you express your sentiments about what has been our expressed faith. I had trouble with praying, with feelings of guilt for not going along without questioning, with this "all or nothing" that you mentioned, Path. I too wish that 'the truth' was really THE TRUTH.

It's difficult for me to stand alone. I realize just how many mistakes an individual can make in trying to make sense of this. At the same time I am slowly realizing that there is no one that knows the answers either, so everyone is making mistakes. I am reasoning now that surely God does not expect us to 'get it'. I am at a loss as to what he really wants.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Thank you for your kind welcomes.

While I wish "the truth" was true, Frenchy, the TRUTH as Jehovah intended is always true. There are so many benefits to having been wrong. Likely salvation will be for so many more than we may once have thought. The dangers of following men are apparent. Freedom is to be appreciated, guared, used wisely.

Since the Bible is not written in black and white terms, we will all make mistakes. But perhaps the greatest mistake anyone can make is to take away the freedom of another by leading him into captivity to his own interpretations. Possibly the real beauty of Christianity is that we all could arrive at different conclusions, but still respect each other in that we are all united in Christ.

I do know one thing though. There is little value in harping on the past and being bitter. I can learn from the past, and now must concentrate on the future.

Pathofthorns

• Carmel
    Carmel

Dear Patho,

Some would retort that those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it. Are you convinced that the present "light" is truth or simply hoping?

carmel

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I have no comment on "present light", and neither am I "hoping" that we have finally gotten it right. At some point one realizes such hopes continually lead to disappointment.

I re-read my post and see that it could likely be taken 2 ways. How you percieved it, is not how I meant it.

What I meant by learning from the past, as opposed to harping on it, is simply that I have no regrets for my life as a Witness. Disappointments, yes, but not regrets. The religion was the "vehical" that got me to a certain point in life. Lessons were learned that may not have been appreciated otherwise. I thank them for the ride.

Hopefully this clarifies things a bit.

Pathofthorns

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Dear Path,
    I think that you have a very positive view of the matter. Bitterness and anger are not constructive. You are right in just wanting to move on. For some of us, that is proving to be more difficult than we first imagined. It's like leaving your home or, as one poster put it, leaving your long time mate.

We all handle it a little differently. I wish you the best on the rest of your journey.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The path to freedom is indeed a path of thorns is it not? And they said we were looking for an easy way out :)

I wish you the best as well Frenchy. Thank you.

• Maxee
    Maxee

By standing alone I mean deep down you have to have faith and conviction in the conclusions you come to regarding God and your spirituality.

Having freedom to ask questions and discuss issues with others reassured me. My only contact with others searching for this stuff are here on the net. I have no face to face contact with anyone in the witnesses. I moved to a new city where the brothers do not know I am here and this has made it easier for me to take time to take stock and think for myself.
    I have felt terribly let down when we put so much faith in a religion has anyone else? To me their leaders past and present set the protocols as opposed to a God.
    You will find stepping out of your comfort zone is painful and at times maybe step back in just to ease this pain. When you think about God and what he is all about its is really all about moving forward. Accepting the events along the way are just another step in the process.

Regardless of what religion one is involved in we still have to go on . I believe this helps develop confidence in myself and my judgements as opposed to following a rule or popular opinion. Sorry to ramble its nice to be here and thankyou for your warm welcome

• Frenchy
    Frenchy
    I have felt terribly let down when we put so much faith in a religion has anyone else?

Yes, I certainly have. I'm a similar situation with you. I, too have moved away in an effort to make the withdrawal easier.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

The let-down feeling is very real, it is also painful.

There have been so many things that I've tried to rationalize for so long. After a certain point, rationalization no longer works. Then comes the guilt....maybe it's me.

Then when you meet others who feel the same way, it's as if you've suddenly found a clear refreshing spring after spending days in the desert.

• Carmel
    Carmel

I see your point and concur. Although the 14 years I was "in" was not them most fun times of my life, neither do I regret the experiance. If nothing else it does help to keep one from being haughty and proud of having "thee answer".

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit