O% Containment of Fires in SoCal

by purplesofa 61 Replies latest social current

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071021-2040-bn21harris5.html

That's a more updated source....

Wildfires are not very high on my list of favorite things. I still remember the Cedar Fire of October 2003 that jumped the 15 inbetween Kearny Mesa and Miramar.

The ashes fell on where I am, 37 miles (by driving) southeast of Ramona. I just hope no more people get injured, and I most certainly hope not too many homes get burnt...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

As soon as we heard of the fires we looked north. I'm in West LA. We could see the cloud of ashes from Malibu & Chatsworth. Tomorrow is going to be a smoky commute to the Valley.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I hope they get some level of control over it real soon. Back when I was a firefighter I hated brush fires more then any other just becuase of how tough they were to get under control. Fires double in size every minute and that is w/o any wind. When they get hot enough they start to generate thier own wind.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thinking of those out the in Cali, I just saw there are still five crucial days.

purps

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Things have gotten REALLY bad overnight. Alarm centers and police were swamped overnight. It seems there are seven different wildfires blazing out of control. Several schools are being closed, and if they aren't closed, they're being used for evacuation (which is why I'm here right now--my college closed). The wildfires are heading south and west from escondido. Northeast of Poway being evacuated. Mandatory evacuations between Del Dios Highway and the 56 (North and South), and the 15 and the 5 (East and West)--this is where the massively wealthy people live.

People are streaming into Qualcomm stadium.

Wildfires suck.

I hope PEC's okay.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah October in Cali is a bitch of a time for fires...reminds me of the Oakland hills fire of October 1991. I was just a few miles downhill from that disaster.

Josie

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

it was reported this am, they only have half the firemen that they need?

I hope everyone gets what they need.

I dont think we realize it is worse than what the news is reporting.

purps

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

it was reported this am, they only have half the firemen that they need?

I hope everyone gets what they need.

I dont think we realize it is worse than what the news is reporting.

purps

I don't know about that, but I do know that we don't have the National Guard here.

Thank you President Bush.

Oh, I can report a bit more. The town of Ramona has been emptied (northeast of Poway). The SD Country Estates--more massively wealthy people--have been evacuated. The mayor of San Diego is asking people to stay home unless you're essential personnel.

Firefighters are losing containment on the Harris fire. I'm not sure where that is. Firefighting is made more difficult due to high winds; retardant can't be safely dropped.

They just said this is going to be WORSE than the Cedar Fire. And the Cedar Fire sucked, let me tell you.

Over 40,000 acres have already burned. Hundreds of homes have been burned already.

http://www.10news.com/news/14388572/detail.html --Local wildfire story

Ok, now they say there are a DOZEN wildfires. They're being fed by the evil Santa Ana winds (a brief description here, scoll down).

California Highway Patrol is not responding to any fender-benders.

One more thing for now: firefighters are being pulled off the frontline to rescue dumbasses who refuse to evacuate. The mayor is practically begging people to heed the warnings.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

The town of Ramona has been emptied (northeast of Poway)

is this a town of about 36,000?

Summer of '05, I flew into San Diego.......we rented a car and drove over 10 days time up to Napa Valley and back. So beautiful there.

Another time I was in Calistoga, a fire had been there. It came up from the valley, the winds carried embers and burned one of the oldest houses/ranch houses there. The ranch I stayed on was across the road. They have no way to put these fires out and just have to let them burn.

We do not have that kind of landscape here in Arkansas. Pretty much flat. I can't imagine being in one of those valley/canyons with fire all around me and smoke. These people must be horrified.

Please keep us posted SirNose.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

It seems that their (the firefighters') focus seems to be on protecting structures. The hardest hit are always those who make their homes out in the boonies, surrounded by nothing but desert brush.

Just look at a map of San Diego county, and find all the places surrounded by green in the Google maps. Right now, they're most likely burning.

Oh, good news: the Fallbrook fire is out, they think. One down, a hundred more to go....if you live in either of the Ranchos (Santa Fe and Bernardo), you're screwed. The winds are picking up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit