O% Containment of Fires in SoCal

by purplesofa 61 Replies latest social current

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I don't think this is a hoax.

I have been watching this am the wildfires in SoCal.

They have already lost some beautiful buildings.

It does not look like things will let up soon.

I was in Malibu a few yeares ago, horrible to see.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303799,00.html

• sf
    sf

Santa Ana winds are a bitch. And right on time.

We all know what October brings here in SC.

We've got friends in Bu. Right near Pepperdine.

I've driven through those 80 mile per hour gusts. Scary stuff.

On serene days though, PCH is a fabulous drive. If you haven't done so, you are missing something wonderful.

Great restaurants too!

sKally

• sf
    sf

The Malibu/ Hodges Castle has been destroyed! I'm sick...

http://www.malibuartsreviews.com/news/1021077malibufire.html

• BrentR
    BrentR

It was cool to see a few towns using goats to clear out the underbrush. They are finally using them up here also to clear brush. Those of us that grew up in rural areas have known how effective they are all along. But the pompous elites in city/county government would never stoop to listening to the "hicks" about a simple problem with a simple solution. They try to spin it as if they actually trained the goats themselves vs asking a farmer *gasp*.

I hope they use them much more down there and reduce the fire hazard by some measure. Every year I see the massive destruction from wildfires in SoCal and hope it can be managed better real soon.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

yeah sf

It was on CNN and FOX burning to the ground, I had not realized how big it was.

brent

I wanted to get a goat for my backyard, A friend of mine were going to share it.........I was all for it, but my friends wife told him NO. Here you can get a goat for $35.00, alot cheaper than a lawnmower, gas or paying someone to do it.

oh well.

purps

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

purps...

I wanted to get a goat for my backyard,...Here you can get a goat for $35.00, alot cheaper than a lawnmower, gas or paying someone to do it.

and here I was just thinking I should do one final cut of the year....I havent mowed my yard in about 6 weeks...back yard is a littlerough but the front is fine..we have had so little rain it is not growing much....guess I have to go do it....where are them neighborhood kids when I need them....almost as good as goats...not as cheap....but....

I guess here the only problem with a goat (other than it probably violates some livestock in the city ordinance) is ...where I would I put the little fella in the winter?

Snakes ()

• BrentR
    BrentR

We have a couple pygmy goats and not only do they eat everything that is vegetation but they are great pets as well. They do not bite, bark, scratch or dig. They get along and hang out with our choc lab and sleep together in the oversized dog house. Best of all they do not leave mountainous piles like horses and cows do, just little raisin sized pellets.

Lilly and Pearl(RIP) with Jasper being shy and hiding behind the rock.

alt

• Dagney
    Dagney

My nephew is a firefighter and has been sent to Malibu today. We were to celebrate his birthday this evening at his favorite sushi/teppan restaurant. He had one hour to get ready and leave for the fire. He is new, just one year as a firefighter...this is his first wildfire.

Good thoughts sent to all the brave firefighters and victims are greatly appreciated.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Good thoughts sent to all the brave firefighters and victims are greatly appreciated.

Hey Brent,

cute pic........

I am rethinking getting a goat........i Have a huge dog house, has real shingles on the roof......maybe next spring!!!

how much area do two goats keep down?

purps

• BrentR
    BrentR

We rotate two goats on two 1/2 acre fields and within two weeks they have eaten most of the grass/weeds. In the spring the grass grows as fast as they can eat it. The major downside is they will kill small trees by eating the bark off all the way around the base.

The pic above is one of the fields in spring and we just put them in there. It's not as fast or neat as a lawnmower but one of the fields is our dog's field and the other is my daughter's play area. Neither of them need to be manicured but we also don't want to be mowing it all spring and into the summer. So our little hooved buddies are a great compromise. They are also great kitchen waste composters along with our chickens.

We got our first one when my daughter was three and she was out playing with them w/o any problems other then her foot got stepped on occasionally.

The house in the background is big enough for a full sized lab and two mini-goats.

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit