Would You Condone Giving Birth Control To 11 Year Olds???

by minimus 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Schools start teaching sex-ed in grade 5-6 (10-12 years old) and kids are curious. SOME of them may start having sex regardless of what their parents say. I think a meeting with a nurse and discussing birth control is part of responsible parenting.

Telling a child that the nurse will help them with birth control WHEN THEY ARE READY to have sex is not condoning sex at 11. It is hoping for the best, but planning for the worst to me.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I do not recall seeing a doctor involved anywhere in this process. I also know adult women that have problems staying on the BC pill program.

When people start actually offering 11 y/o BC pills we have to take a deep breath and have some serious discussions about our culture and society in general.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I said my peace.

If we can remove ourselves from this debate emotionally, and look at it pragmatically, we'd move forward.

Some girls enter puberty at 8 or 9 years old.

Is that strange?

To me it is.

But it's true.

• changeling
    changeling

No one is handing out birth control to 11 year olds.

The school in question has a health clinic that parents have to give permission for their children to use.

The school is 6th to 8th grade, ages 11-13.

Once at the clinic students can be given birth control pills w/o parental knowledge or consent.

If a parent does not want their child having access to this, all they have to do it not give consent for the use of the clinic. End of story.

By the way, I heard a report that indicates that availability of birth control does not increase sexual activity.

changeling

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks for the clarifications, changeling.

• minimus
    minimus

Bisous, I think you were shouting a bit. Tsk Tsk.

Just because kids have urges for sex, it doesn't mean they should engage. (That's what masturbation is for).

• BFD
    BFD

Very interesting topic. Maybe these should be handed out instead...

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

And how does the parent give permission to use the clinic? A form? A "note from mom". Geez.

You know, I generally don't say things like this, because it sounds like my hysterical husband, but, it seems to me that in some respects, it's true. But I have a disclaimer, that if the parents are involved and talk to their kids, this shouldn't be the case. Returning...

The media (think Britney Spears, et.al.) and toys (think Bratz dolls) are telling our daughters that it's a great, glamorous thing to dress like harlots and be sexual at earlier and earlier ages. If the parents are too lazy to be involved in what the girls are watching and not really paying attention to what they're buying the girls to play with (again, you can't be lazy...), the parents are part of the problem! So, now, by taking away the responsiblity of actually taking them to a GYN for exams and being a PART of their daughters' lives, this school district will add to the ability of lazy parents to DO NOTHING. Great.

• bisous
    bisous

I don't disagree with much of what you are saying Mrs. Witness *well maybe except the harlot thing...* but sadly the truth remains that there are many absent parents. I wouldn't want to *foot* the bill for the inevitable pregnant teens, etc. if even some of them can be avoided. DotBoy - I only shout at the ones I love. And I agree that middle schoolers shouldn't be having sex. My thinking that will not make it so. Maybe we should be handing out masturbation guides? lmao

• minimus
    minimus

Hey, If I'm DotBoy, are you Bitchous?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit