Why can't Witlesses laugh at themselves?

by hamsterbait 15 Replies latest social humour

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

You all know the jokes Jews love to tell about themselves. Books and books of them.

The jokes about Catholic priests.

I am sure there are Buddhist jokes too. (Anybody heard one?)

Is the religion too immature to laugh about the foibles and crap that go on?

Are JWs unable to work out what NOT to take seriously? (They forbid "Harry Potter", "Lord of the Rings" and "charmed".)

Please append JW jokes at will - AFTER your opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HB ( of the "Hearty Bosoms Bellicosely Giggling" class.)

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

JW's have the perfect religion. Nobody among their organ. makes mistakes or does anything imperfect to laugh about.

LINDA

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

A sister that I truly love gave me a list of Jeff Foxworthy jokes, "You might be a JW if..." instead of "You might be a redneck if..." They were really funny but I lost the list.

She had a great sense of humor. Most do not.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I suspect that the ability to see the humor behind the WTS rules and operations could be seen as non-acceptance of the JW lifestyle. Few would want to be seen as mocking the WTS

• VM44
    VM44

Because they are members of a fanatic cult.

Like in any big business, humor doesn't promote the bottom line, and hence there is no place for it within the Organization.

--VM44

• Warlock
    Warlock

I used to LOVE J.W. jokes, as did most of the "friends" that I knew.

I can't remember any of them, though.

Warlock

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Here's a old thread of "you might be a JW if...."

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/25/91042/1.ashx

ran across this today and got a good laugh out of it. :) The following is Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be A Jehovah's Witness If..."

If "pioneer" is not a stereo, "new light" is not something in the house wares department and "tract" has nothing to do with land or farming.

If you know when Nisan 14 of the Jewish Calendar lands in the Gregorian calendar from year to year, and yet you commonly forget your own birthday.

If for you, "Memorial Day" isn't in May.

If you spend days at a baseball stadium, never see a ball and don't even have a beer.

If you wash windows or cars for a living and still own five suits.

If you think nothing of letting your friends stop by to use the bathroom.

If you know the cleanliness of every coffee shop for four towns around.

If you think 2-door vehicles aren't really cars.

If you go to Home Depot and go down the aisle where doors are displayed, and you feel compelled to knock on them.

If you can't buy a pair of shoes without thinking about how comfortable they will need to be while walking residential streets in 95 degree heat.

If you have the tendency to refer to books by color instead of by title.

If you have a shelf just for 192 page books.

If you can't pick up a book, or anything else to read without picking up a pencil or highlighter too.

If you think it is complimentary to refer to someone as "a study".

If you have "get-togethers", rather than "parties".

If after one of such "get-togethers" at your home, your house is not a mess and you have more food than when you started.

If you realize things are getting worse, ...and you're thrilled.
  • sf
    sf

Why can't Witlesses laugh at themselves?

Because simply, there is NOTHING funny.

sKally

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Nothing funny about being victimized by a corporate publishing house

Also to poke fun at the society could be seen as being untheocratic, and so therefore it is frowned on

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

Often used to wonder this.When i was brought up at church you would get the jokes about jesus and heaven and everything.But when i switched to the watchtower i noticed there was no jokes aimed at religion.I noticed that most jokes centred on word play and double meanings, hmmmm cant imagine why that is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit