Quotable Quotes; Please Add Yours ...

by compound complex 215 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Dear Friend:

I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun a controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it may be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. Here is how I stand on the question.

If, when you say whiskey you mean the Devil’s brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty … takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacles of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation and despair, shame and helplessness and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it with all of my power.

But, if, when you say whiskey, you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman’s step on a frosty morning; if you mean the drink that enables a man to magnify his joy and his happiness and to forget, if only for a little while, life’s great tragedies, and the heartbreaks and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm, to build highways, hospitals, and schools, then certainly I am in favor of it.- Author unknown. According to former Representative D. R. Billy Matthews, this story was told in the early 1960s by another member of Congress, who did not know the author. It purports to be the reply of a congressman to a constituent who had written the congressman to ask, "Where do you stand on whiskey?"

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." ~ G.B. Stearn

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

I'm afraid I would like to quote this in entirety so I will just post a link , It is far too good a piece of work for me to hack up into peices , enjoy!

http://deoxy.org/rst.htm I do travel in strange circles , but at least I'm still moving.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

A comfortable falsehood will always win out over an uncomfortable truth.

— Author unknown

• dinah
    dinah

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye

I just like that one

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

"Seriousness is stupidity sent to college."- P. J. O'Rourke

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

"Karo syrup on cold pancakes is worse than accidently seeing your brother buck-ass naked." - Me (it's a long story)

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." -- Mark Twain

• r51785
    r51785

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. -- H. L. Mencken

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away." -- Tom Waits

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Anyone with money to burn will always find himself surrounded by people with matches. - Joe Ryan

I was once in a spelling bee, but I lost because the other contastents cheeted. --Paul Paternoster

If I can make just one person laugh, then it must've been a pretty good eulogy. --Wade Kwon

I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it wouldn't make any difference. --Steven Wright

Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff. --Mariah Carey

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?
    Answer: I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever. --Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss Universe contest

Researchers have discovered that chocolate produces some of the same reactions in the brain as marijuana... The researchers also discovered other similarities between the two, but can't remember what they are. --Matt Lauer on NBC's Today show, August 22

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law. --David Dinkins, New York City Mayor, answering accusations that he failed to pay his taxes.

Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life. --Brooke Shields, during an interview to become spokesperson for a federal anti-smoking campaign

I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body. --Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward

Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC

The streets are safe in Philadelphia. It's only the people who make them unsafe. --Frank Rizzo, ex-police chief and mayor of Philadelphia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit