Suicide

by Nicolas 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

As a teenage JW, who couldn't make the grade, I did consider it often.

I do (did) know some young born ins who did make that choice.

I am glad I didn't.

Cheers

Chris

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Yes, I was depressed and suicidal while a JW. Less than a year after being disfellowshipped, I was able to come off anti-depressants. I'm still prone to depression, but the main reason behind my depression is over (I didn't want to be a JW, and hadn't admitted that yet). Now I am coping with the repercussions but it's an infinitely more confident feeling than just doing what makes everybody happy.

• Gordy
    Gordy

I attempted suicide in 1996 while a JW, I was also a Min Servant.

Later diagnosed as having "acute clinical depression"

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Oh yes, I think most people have thought of it at some time. Always keep in mind that suicide is like walking through a door that has only one door knob. But as far as it relates to Jehovah god, he looks into the hart, do not listion to the witness dogma about if someone commits suicide that he through Christ will not remember him or her, if your having thoughts about suicide first talk to a friend and pray to Jehovah then talk to your doctor, (don't bother with talking to elders they are mostly mallet heads) cause it can sneek up on you even if you think your not serious so get help, coming from someone who knows.

• monophonic
    monophonic

great topic.

two jw friends killed themselves. one inactive for years and another active.

i contemplated killing myself while i was still 'in' and thought that my lightly fooling around with a girl was going to get me dead at armageddon, so my rational was to kill myself and hope for a resurrection.

other jw teens have attempted suicide that i know of....and one guy i grew up w/ in the hall is in jail for murder....he completely lost it, had been losing it for a while, and flipped out.

of course in the 80's/90's, suicide and therapy was considered wrong, and it was suggested that jehovah's holy spirit had left the person and even family.

then they lightened up on being so harsh on families who have had suicides....so it was nice to see some reasonableness regarding them (elders) all of a sudden being nurturing...but forget about an apology from the wtbts for the damage they caused many families in these delicate situations over the years by witch hunting them instead of consoling them.

• enz
    enz

I have suffered from depression since I was 10 and planned suicide on more than one occasion when I was in my 20s. I wouldnt be here to share with you if I was still in the org. Those feelings are a horrific place to be . My heart goes out to anyone visiting JWD who struggling with those feelings now - please listen to those who have been that low and have made it out the other side. We are not a substitute for professional help ( - counselling has been my life line.) but knowing others have "been there" and that you have a network of support can help a lot. Big hug from E

• free2think
    free2think

I was depressed and suicidal as a jw, even being on the verge of attempting it on one occasion but my mum found me and stopped me.

• freeme
    freeme

raised. still in.
    i would be happy with my jw life... if it wouldnt include lying just that noone of my friends and relatives gets suspicious. i live for today actually. if i would live for tomorrow i couldnt stand it.

i dont believe it anymore at all but ppl try to plant guilt in me for going only 2h and like 3times a month to the hall.
    even though i dont feel really suicidal (but i felt suicidal before when i broke out of the JW egg) now i sometimes have a down when thinking about it all. i sometimes feel like i wont broke out until i die. and this is hard.
    its my friends, wife, my wifes parents, my parents, my brothers, everyone.

in that case i sometimes think "suicide would solve it all". but i also see some light at the end of the tunnel.

some (jw-)friends of mine are weak in faith, so i may get real friends soon. and i gain slowly more and more strength. im multiple times stronger as i was like 2 years ago. its advancing, ill succeed. i dont wanna sound showy, but i think im a attractive (more or less ;)), life loving guy with his best years still to come. i shouldnt give up, ill succeed. jw teaching was just very destructive in my brain. it takes time to repair.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Nic - ditto to most of what you said, except that healing can be accomplished. You may always have scars, but that doesn't mean they did not heal. Therapy is very, very helpful, I have found in the past, and am finding it to be so now. Hugs and healing and love to you! -Joy

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I often fantasized about driving off bridges while I was a JW.

Now I have good days and bad days, but I'm far improved.

Knowing that this is the only life I get, and that its purpose is whatever I attach to it, makes it all the more precious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit