Suicide

by Nicolas 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

BizzyBee

Less than ten

Researchers are beginning to realize that there are many children who are so depressed they think about and attempt suicide. I've read as young as 5or 6. I was 7 when I had thoughts of running away from home because of the abuse.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    if your having thoughts about suicide first talk to a friend and pray to Jehovah then talk to your doctor, (don't bother with talking to elders they are mostly mallet heads

NO, do not waist time praying to Jehovah or anything else! Call the local crises center. All Yellow pages and white pages have a hotline!

nj

• Mincan
    Mincan

I just got out of the psych ward for attemped suicide. Well I had a plan, was close but didn't carry them out thanks to two heroes on this very board who convinced me to check in to the psych ward. I believed no one would believe as has been the case with my family the past few years that say I have no reason to be depressed and just think I'm lazy or unmotivated for other reasons.

I did however attempt while I was in the ward on leave of absense. A police officer saved me by passing by me before I was about to jump off a freeway overpass (apparently I was swinging back and forth over it). I don't remember it at all as I was blacked out from alcohol, I guess that shows how much suicide was in my every thought, my subconscious was even attempting it. I seriously contemplated again so I kept going back to the psych ward until they wouldn't let me anymore.

I felt really great for a few days when the meds kicked in. I'm started to get depressed again the past couple days and it keeps getting worse. Probably got used to this dosage (the lowest) It's mostly frustration and hopelessness. I just take each day at a time and try to find things to live for. Like going for bicycle rides, and this upcoming apostafest in Toronto.

I have nill self-esteem and self-worth, which contributes to my not enjoying even the things I enjoy, if you know what I mean.

I'd say my depression is 50% loneliness and 50% hopelessness, and 100% cult influenced. I don't know it's a different facet everytime.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

You're not alone, Mincan.

I wish you the best.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Brent R said:

Over the years I have seen countless JW suicides and would certainly say it is disproportionate to the regular population.

Anyone ever see documented proof of this claim? (BTW, Brent, I'm not questioning your observations. They sound reasonable to me, but still somewhat anecdotal.) If so, it could be one more powerful piece of information to tuck away for future use.

I'm guessing the dubs are too tiny a group to have warranted the research dollars. I'd love to be wrong on this.

Open Mind

• Gregor
    Gregor

It seems to me that no matter how common the state of depression has become in our society it is still assumed by most people that it is caused by outside situations bringing us down. Ask a hundred depressed people why they are depressed and 99 of them will identify something or someone as the cause. money, relationships, etc. In fact, most depression comes from a faulty balance in brain chemistry. In a crude, heavy handed way, alcohol and illegal drugs can help but create real problems that end up reinforcing our perception of why we're depressed. It is natural to look around for a "why" and, of course, we can always find something to point at. This is why depressed people seldom get over the tendency to depression even when outside situations improve.

I'm no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Thought about it here and there- actually I have attempted it once or twice but didn't have it in me. I kept thinking about my sister and what could happen- the good stuf instead of the bad. And more importantly, I talked to somebody- a trained therapist. Not saying that they are perfect and they coul lead you somewhere just as messed up as any eler can, ut I talked with someone who wasn't gong to tell me just to "pray" you know?

I did pray. I prayed for years. I prayed and then gave up when I wasn't getting anywhere and felt even more alone. So yeah.. I agree the best thing you can do is to talk to people because when you ae in that minstate yu are your worst enemy and you just feel so damn trapped, trapped in a thought process you can't esape. I remember trying my a$$ off to think positively. No one wants to feel that way, but you can't escape the feeling and emotins, or lack of, that is going on inside of you no matter if you picture yourself on a beach in the carribean with a huge smile on your face.

Depression is serious and it should be be regarded as such. I slip into my moods here and there but i know when I'm depressed. My whole sine of self and lie disapears and I feel like a shadow of my former self walking through life wondering when is it going to stop, or make sense, or get better and feeling that it wont.

I don't know about statistics- I do know of one case I head where a young brother had comitted suicide, but thats only one. Don't know if the incident is higher among Jws but I wouldn't be surprise beause of the "trapped" feeling you can feel inside such a group.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Only once and the sole motivation was that I couldn't live up to the high standards that the organization places on teens. It only occupied my mind for a couple weeks and I never took any steps to actually following through with it.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

not as a jw - i loved that

but being wrongly df-ed and then left abandoned and bewildered drove me close since.

i was in hospital on suicide watch and my jc thought i was faking it to avoid being df....when i spoke to them later trying to get reinstated and told them i was suicidal the chairman said 'well other people seem to manage'.

i still have days i would rather be dead...but they are getting rarer

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I just got off the phone with my mom. My aunt is in the hospital after a failed suicide attempt. Sadly this is not her first attempt either. I have had other family members hospitilized for this as well (not all of them are JW's). When I first learned the "truth about the truth" it was a very difficult time in my life and I contemplated suicide many times.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit