what about NOT making new friends...life as a hermit for most part

by oompa 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scully
    Scully

For me, life is not about "whoever dies with the most friends wins".

The friends I have, I've been selective in choosing. They respect me and care about me as much as I do them. Anyone else doesn't get past "associate" or "acquaintance" level with me. "Friends" are special, and I don't grant that status lightly.

I'm still working on being able to refer to myself as my own best friend. While I'm comfortable in my own company, I have to keep reminding myself to not be so harshly judgemental and critical of me.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

(oompa)

I know I'm lucky to have my hubby. I don't really have other friends though, and I think we both should. I don't know why, it just seems like a good idea. I think I'll be one of those people who at the end of her life wishes that she'd been more active and taken more risks.

• vitty
    vitty

I am quite an anti social person. When I was going to meetings we had a very busy social life. But I discovered they werent real friends. I dont have friends now and dont want or need them. I have sisters who dont live close but I feel thats enough for me.

My daughter said the same thing to me.................she was a bit upset to learn that a few sisters in the KH had had a get together and not invited her ( bloody typical )..............but she then remarked that she didnt like socializing anyway !!!

I dont know if its a learned or personality thing. I know my husband misses have friends or acquaintances and hes always trying to get me to invite the neighbours round for a meal. I sometimes succumb, but generally dont like it.

I think its a trust issue.............and that definately comes from being a witness......I dont have any

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hi Oompa.....

I tried leaping into friendships as soon as I left. That didn't work out to well. I needed some time. I was very outgoing, but I had ready made friends in the borg, as long as I towed the company line. Now I wonder if I will ever have the amount of friends I used to.... I am of the opinion that I will let things happen. It is still pretty new to me, only been a little over a year....

It could be that comparing what you had is also the same as comparing what you left behind. It's not that I don't do it, but I have to remind myself that I did change my life! (in fact, I turned the damn thing upside down) It is healthy that my friendships and what I did will never be the same as what I had.

I know I am adjusting right now. I am not as happy as a brainwashed cult member, but I knew that going in to all of this. It's not leaving the borg that has left me unhappy, it is all the residual stuff, the anger of wasted time, the missing of friends, thinking about what could have been. It really is sort of like the Matrix at times, do you want the red or the blue pill? Ignorance may be bliss, but I would rather be an unhappy lump then live in JW la la land.

I have joined a local political campaign. I am going to campaign for one of two canidates in 08. I am trying to think of other things to do. That I think is healthy. I sometimes have to make myself do things that are good. In fact, I woke up this morning realizing that because I have been depressed, I need to cut back on my spending... (I eat out a lot for the first time in my life) I find myself going through different phases of sadness, but it is part of the healing process...... I don't begrudge myself that. If you need to get away, do what you need to do. Honor your feelings, honor what your heart is telling you. It is the hardest thing to do, but know thyself, and like who you see in the mirror my friend....

• oompa
    oompa
    JK:Heck, you are meeting new friends on this board!

And too bad we dont have a commune. Or enough for a city or large frequent conventions.

Bikerchic:I'm sorry you don't get along with your wife/son.

We get along, no fighting, but nearly nothing in common with my wife now. My son and I have tons in common, but I am pretty much excluded from his circle of friends that I used to do things with despite the age difference.

JPT:I don't see much point to anything either. My wife is firmly in the Borg so very hard to move forward.

Likewise, I hate to admit it cause I feel so "worldly" but it would be much easier to "be me" and move on without her. How can I even say that? Marriage is not supposed to thrown away like worn out shoes. I have seen some here that have, but it scares me and just does not seem right.

Wednesday: If you are bored with our job, maybe you could go back to school and change careers a lot of people do near middle age, or even into retirement age. Time really does go by fast. our lives are over so quickly.

Aren't you the chipper one! lol Actually I have thought about schooling and a change in careers. Life is too slow right now.

Restart: Nothing I like better than getting on my motorcycle and just riding. No destination is necessary, and no company is needed. I have friends that invite me to go riding with them, but I have no desire to do that. Sounds like you have responsibilities, I don't think taking off on a boat would be the thing to do, Nice fantasy though.

I ride too, but rarely enjoy it like in times past...too much time to think. Funny though I like riding alone rather than with others, which even when you do...you aren't really....riding is an individual thing. I can walk away from all responsibilites except wife (unless I am a selfish pig). Have longtime dream of living aboard and came very close once. I always saw that with wife though, now I just want to be either alone or with people I don't know.

V: it sounds is if you and your family might be parting ways and that's ok, albeit sad. keep in touch with folks here and if your feeling like your experiencing some depression talk to a profressional.

See I don't see how that's OK! Probably JW programming. As far as professionals, believe me I have tried, and take more meds than I can keep up with, although I have been cutting back and am determined to get off them. I don't want to go from mind altering religion to mind altering drugs (permanatly). The three Pros I have seen say two things..1. I am and have been in a mojor controlling cult for years and I need to get out and 2. If my wife wont agree to marriage counseling, I need to get a divorce....I asked her in front of the doc for a conseling appointment and she said nothing. Outside, she kind of got mad at me for even bringing it up in front of the Doc, and of course said we should just rely on the elders for that.......vomit....on.....deck......now.

V: Life is not worth living without them. (Rare use of bad language ahead....) SCREW THEM!!!

That is unfortunately how I have felt for about two years now. And except for a very, very few, I don't feel that way. These are good, honest people that I have had a blast with for decades. I wish I could wake them up, but not SCREW THEM.

Scully: I have to keep reminding myself to not be so harshly judgemental and critical of me.

Such a good point Scully. I will try this. JW can make you hate yourself and feel guilty all the time. Thank you.

ATJeff: It really is sort of like the Matrix at times, do you want the red or the blue pill? Ignorance may be bliss, but I would rather be an unhappy lump then live in JW la la land. Honor your feelings, honor what your heart is telling you. It is the hardest thing to do, but know thyself, and like who you see in the mirror my friend....

Sorry Jeff, too many people here think this is like the Matrix. It is a poor comparison. With the blue pill, you go back to your "pre-awakening" state with NO MEMORY of the real truth! If we "go back" we know full frikkin well we are living a lie day in and day out....how is that like the blue pill....that sucks. I am resisiting doing what my heart tells me cause I do care a lot for some immediatly around me. Liking who you see in the mirror could be tough if I always do what my heart says.

thanks all...oompa

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Some of what you say is okay. Wishing to go away for awhile and not needing the friends is okay- by itself.
    Add your thought about being dead and leaving insurance money for the family- that concerns me.

These can be passing thoughts. You are going through changes. If that kind of "better-off-dead-or-disappearing"
    thinking persists, get some help. You will need therapy for that.

Remember that free advice is sometimes worth what you paid for it. I could be overstating this, but really-
    if you keep thinking like that, get some help.

• bisous
    bisous

I agree with the *free advice* statement. A lot of the comments you made sound like common signs of depression. If I were you, I'd seek advice and feedback from a professional counsellor or family therapist. There are many who have experience with ex- JW issues and/or cults.

• juni
    juni

I have to agree w/Bisous. A counselor will not tell you what to do, but will help you with different viable options. Right now you probably feel like you are stuck in mud w/no way out. You need help to be able to climb back into the driver's seat. You need to feel in control of your life.

Best to you.

Juni

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

O,

On the "screw them" comment: I was not talking about your old JW friends: I was referencing the GB.

V

• greendawn
    greendawn

There are people that thrive in loneliness and others that would emotionally perish in it. So it depends on the kind of person one is in this respect.

Hermits are mainly monks who wish to abandon the world in order to concentrate on spiritual interests to fight the power of the demons in a state where hindering attachments to physical objects are dissolved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit