ATTN: Sign Language Jezebels! Get those hats back on! (BOE letter)

by BFD 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BFD
    BFD

Once again I have been selected as the "Chosen Channel" of commnuication by an paranoid elder apostate in waiting to spread this divinely inspired information:

BFD

Here goes:

=========

A recent letter to all TRAVELING OVERSEERS AND BODIES OF ELDERS IN THE U.S. contains an interesting "change in policy".

The topic of the letter was: "Guidelines for sign-language interpretation."

It was SIX FREAKIN' PAGES LONG!!! fer God's sake.

Here's the only part that might be of some interest to JWDers, IMO.

Under the sections "Talk content" and "Prayers" there was a policy change. Except for interviews and demos, if a sister is used to interpret any of the program talks, she is to wear a "modest and appropriate head covering as a sign of submission to the theocratic arrangement in the Christian congregation. (1 Tim. 2:11,12) "

Now I would have just snoozed right by this except they called attention to it saying "Note:" in big bold letters, and mentioning that it is a "change in policy" from the QFRs in the 7/15/02 and 6/15/77 Watchtowers.

The "old light" from the 7/15/02 QFR was this:

"Must Christian women wear a head covering when giving oral or sign-language translation of Bible discourses or when publicly reading the paragraphs from a Bible study aid that is being used at a congregation meeting? No. Sisters handling these duties are not presiding or teaching."

Apparently that "light" was a little too "Jezebellish" for the current crop of male control-freaks pulling the strings in New York.

SO GET THOSE REBELLIOUS, WELL-QUALIFIED, FEMALE CRANIUMS COVERED!! ( And make sure you don't wear tight or revealing clothes either. Otherwise we'll have a bunch of repressed, horny JW males with no hearing problems crashing the Sign Language section! )

ALLAH AKBAR!!

For your reading pleasure, the QFR from the 7/15/02 WT is reprinted in it's entirety below.

*** w02 7/15 pp. 26-27 Questions From Readers ***

Questions From Readers

In what situations is it appropriate for a Christian woman to wear a head covering for spiritual reasons?

“Every woman that prays or prophesies with her head uncovered shames her head,” wrote the apostle Paul. Why? Because of the divine principle of headship: “The head of a woman is the man.” Praying or preaching in the Christian congregation is normally the responsibility of a man. Hence, when a Christian woman cares for matters pertaining to worship that ordinarily would be performed by her husband or by a baptized man, she should wear a head covering.—1 Corinthians 11:3-10.

Situations in which a Christian woman ought to wear a head covering may arise in her marriage relationship. For example, when the family comes together for a Bible study or for a meal, the husband normally takes the lead in teaching them and in representing them in prayer to God. If he is an unbeliever, however, this responsibility may fall on his wife. Therefore, when praying aloud on behalf of herself and others or when conducting a Bible study with her children in the presence of her husband, a Christian sister rightly wears a head covering. If her husband is not present, the wife need not wear a head covering, since she is divinely authorized to teach the children.—Proverbs 1:8; 6:20.

What, though, if a young son in the family is a dedicated, baptized servant of Jehovah God? Since the son is a member of the Christian congregation, he should receive instruction from its male members. (1 Timothy 2:12) If his father is a believer, the son should be taught by him. However, if the father is absent, then the mother should wear a head covering if she conducts a Bible study with the young baptized son and the other children. Whether she calls on the baptized son to pray at such a study or at mealtime is left to her discretion. She may feel that he is not yet sufficiently capable and may choose to offer prayer herself. If she chooses to pray on such an occasion, she should wear a head covering.

While sharing in certain congregation activities, Christian women may need to wear a head covering. At a midweek meeting for field service, for example, there may only be Christian sisters present, no baptized males. There may be other occasions when no baptized males are present at a congregation meeting. If a sister has to handle duties usually performed by a brother at a congregationally arranged meeting or meeting for field service, she should wear a head covering.

Must Christian women wear a head covering when giving oral or sign-language translation of Bible discourses or when publicly reading the paragraphs from a Bible study aid that is being used at a congregation meeting? No. Sisters handling these duties are not presiding or teaching. Similarly, no head covering is required for sisters taking part in demonstrations, relating experiences, or handling student talks in the Theocratic Ministry School.

While teaching within the congregation is to be done by baptized men, both men and women have the responsibility of preaching and teaching outside the congregation. (Matthew 24:14; 28:19, 20) So when a Christian woman is speaking to outsiders about God’s Word in the presence of a male Witness of Jehovah, she would not need to wear a head covering.

However, the situation is different when a regular, scheduled Bible study is being conducted in a home and a dedicated, baptized male is present. This is a prearranged session of teaching where the one conducting the study actually presides. Under these circumstances, a study becomes an extension of the congregation. If a baptized female Witness conducts such a study with a baptized male Witness present, she would rightly wear a head covering. However, the dedicated brother should offer prayer. A sister would not pray in the presence of a dedicated brother unless there were some exceptional reason, such as the brother’s having lost the physical power of speech.

A Christian sister may on occasion be accompanied on a Bible study by an unbaptized male Kingdom publisher. If she wishes, she may ask him to conduct the study. But since he could not properly represent the baptized sister in prayer to Jehovah, it would be proper for her to pray at the study. When conducting the study and when praying under these circumstances, the sister should cover her head. Even though the male publisher is not yet baptized, outsiders identify him with the congregation because of his preaching activity.

“The woman ought to have a sign of authority upon her head because of the angels,” wrote the apostle Paul. Yes, Christian sisters have the privilege of being good examples to the millions of angels who loyally continue to subject themselves to Jehovah. How appropriate that godly women give due consideration to wearing a head covering when the occasion calls for it!

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

for real? *rolls eyes*

I used to do sign language interpreting for my mother in law who is deaf.

I hate the head covering "rule"

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I'm surprised they didn't ban all sisters from interpreting.

Back in the 80s I was told I could not teach sigh language to any brother. They let me teach them until a couple could "sort of" interpret. They the brothers got to teach the brothers while I carried on teaching the sisters.

• minimus
    minimus

But before, she didn't have to put a covering on as a sign of submission?? Did Jehovah change His mind again?? When a recent article details why it's unnecessary, so recently!, why would the FDS have new light??

This exact type of thing shows how cuckoo Witnesses are for accepting that sh*t.

• Dagney
    Dagney

They must have increased the wattage in their light bulbs.

The light is getting brighter...especially on such an earth shattering, important issue.

• White Dove
    White Dove

But, they AREN'T teaching! They are like interpreters at the UN. They are not the big-wigs teaching! As a deaf person who was never taken seriously in my congregation, this burns me up and makes me hate them even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are the damned emoticons?????!!!!!!!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Lady Lee, Your avitar looks like one of my interpreters at a community college in Portland. She is Jewish, though, and never mentioned a prior religion.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Male Chauvinist B@$%@&$$

nj

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    A recent letter to all TRAVELING OVERSEERS AND BODIES OF ELDERS IN THE U.S. contains an interesting "change in policy".

The topic of the letter was: "Guidelines for sign-language interpretation."

It was SIX FREAKIN' PAGES LONG!!! fer God's sake.

O my!

So let me see if I've got this straight: while the WTS is under seige by apostates from within and without, their biggest concern is whether women should be putting kleenex on top of their heads?

• White Dove
    White Dove

Remeber putting Kdom Ministries on our heads for emergency covering at meetings for fs when no brothers other than little boys showed up? Remember 12 and 13 year olds having to conduct those fs meetings in front of older womyn? Sexist pigs! I like men, but really! I must draw the line somewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit