A horrible scary thing happened to my daughter. You won't believe this

by coffee_black 40 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

My daughter was on her way to work last week and stopped for a milkshake at a fast food restaurant. (bad idea, I know) Within 20 minutes she was violently ill. On the news that night was an expose of the very fast food restaurant location she had been to. They were caught on tape using the slop bucket they used for cleaning bathrooms etc. to empty out the milkshake machine while they cleaned it, and then pour the milkshake mix (in the contaminated slop bucket) back into the machine.

Apparently there was also a group of kids from an after school program that had a party there that same day. Most had icecream, and most were absent from school the next day. So I guess they use the same method to clean the icecream machine as well.

She freaked out, of course, and called the corporate office demanding to know what she had been exposed to. They said little, but she got a return call from the vp of the company over the weekend, who left a message on her voicemail telling her not to talk to anyone else until she talked to him.

She went to her doctor and he did a full blood workup on her. She was very sick for about 5 days. (of course her nerves probably contributed to that) She couldn't eat either. So today she was notified that the test results were in. The doctor told her he needed to see her immediatly. He would tell her nothing over the phone. So of course she freaked out and jumped to the worst conclusions possible. She left work immediatly, and called me. I stayed on the phone with her as she drove, trying to keep her as calm as possible. She sobbed most of the way. The doctor's office is a good 30 minute drive from where she works.

Once she got there, she said she'd call back after she talked to the doctor. I had to be in a meeting regarding changes in the state building code for the next 3 hours. I have no idea what was said in the meeting. Finally, about an hour into the meeting, I excused myself and went outside to call her. She had just left the doctor's office.

The doctor told her that she had had food poisoning (already knew that from the first visit) She will need to return periodically over the next year to make sure nothing shows up that wasn't detected this time. ....and he informed her that she has a condition. Detected early, and it's not life threatening but she will require treatment. (no it's not an std...or cancer....and I'm not posting it because it would invade her privacy.

So the crisis has passed for the moment. I've been on pins and needles this past week...waiting for the results. It's crazy, but I am actually kind of relieved...because who knows what she could have been exposed to. At least this is treatable...

...and the thing is, if she hadn't had that contaminated milkshake, she would not have gone to her doctor to have blood work done...and she would not have found out this early.

I'm still trying to make sense of it.... Not sure what I'm feeling...anger or relief or what...I have pent up energy that I don't know what to do with. I don't think I will sleep well tonight.

Coffee

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I think you should talk to a good lawyer!

Outaservice

• changeling
    changeling

About the milkshake: Ewwww!!!!

About your daughter, I'm glad she's receiving good care and she'll be OK. She was very fortunate.

Take care,

changeling

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

So sorry your daughter had to go through this. I had food poisioning from a milkshake once too, and it's not nice!

I'm glad she found out about her condition early.

BB

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

Just another good reason to avoid eating out. It seems to be getting worse and worse now-a-days. I'm so sorry that she's going through that ordeal and so sorry that you yourself are worried sick, scared and hurting. I'll keep my prayers going on your daughters behalf.

God Bless You Both Always!

LINDA

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

What a terrifying ordeal!!! I guess this could be seen as one of those "good news/bad news" situations that resulted in the early detection for her. I would ALSO see about getting a lawyer as OUTASERVICE suggested!

hugs to you BOTH, Mom and daughter....

Annie

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I smell a lawsuit

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Thanks guys,

She was a lot calmer once she found out what she was dealing with. She will be fine. Im usually good in a crisis.... it's after it's all over that I fall apart. It's all good though.... What a scary week this has been.

Coffee

• Satanus
    Satanus

Glad she's ok, and that she found out about the condition. It's funny, often things that at first are bad have some important positive side afterwards.

S

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Get an attorney & save the VP's voicemail. He had no business telling your daughter to not get counsel. Contact the State Bar Association in your State. They can give a ref. Also, try www.martindale.com . You will want a trial attorney who does "tort" law. Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit