How Would You Do in a Debate Against a Talented JW Apologist?

by Open mind 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'd much rather discuss politics, the very evident absence of God, booze, music, or how to help someone who's feeling down.

You know, stuff that really matters.

Couldn't have put it better myself nvr

Grab some of that Cougar you're always talking about( I've never had, by the way) and some tunes and some friends and a fire and it's all good. Right, brinjen?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Sean Hannity is an expert debater. He bullies the opposition with a point that
    they would rather not answer. His audience assumes he is right because he
    bullies everytime they try to move on. If they just answer his point, then he
    stays with that point, not allowing them to move on. Every now and again,
    somebody manages to overcome his bully tactic and then they look like the
    winner. This entire debate and who appears to win has nothing to do with the
    issue at hand.

JW's similarly try to bully the debate, but really dodge the issues. Their
    conversation stoppers build their own confidence. When someone is armed
    and ready, they easily get past their bully tactic, but nobody really gets through
    to the other person, and there is no real audience to win in front of, so it's silly
    to bother.

I make points to the wife, but if it gets to a debate, I just get out of it. If I win,
    she sees it as bullying and if I don't clearly win, she sees it as "JW's are right."
    Same with most JW's, I suppose. No audience in personal debates, and only
    JW's at a study or at the hall. Why bother?

• brinjen
    brinjen
    Grab some of that Cougar you're always talking about( I've never had, by the way) and some tunes and some friends and a fire and it's all good. Right, brinjen?

Spot on! 9 o'clock tonight at your place then?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Spot on! 9 o'clock tonight at your place then?

Amen, sister!

Sorry, OM.

I'm leaving now.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Can I just bum a drink or two and then hit the road?

Open Mind

• Open mind
    Open mind

OTWO:

Excellent observations on how some talk-show hosts control the stage and don't really allow for exchange of ideas. I agree that there's not much point in arguing in general and it doesn't appeal to me at all on a personal level.

I've just got a gut feeling that a "showdown" will happen sometime in the unforseen future, and I'd like to be a little better prepared than I am now.

Thanks.

Open Mind

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Can I just bum a drink or two and then hit the road?

Open Mind

I can't see any problem with that.

See?

We suck at debating.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

face to face with next to any jw. I can't see me losing a debate. I fact I can't remember the last time a lost a debate with a jw. i haven't found a jw that can last 30 minutes with me in years.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I would do above average

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve never found any of them to be any good..All you get is circle arguements,lies,ignore evidence presented or questions asked..The only anything any of them are talented at,is Bullsh*t..It`s easy to rip them apart..Some have got really pissed off with me..LOL!!....OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit