How Would You Do in a Debate Against a Talented JW Apologist?

by Open mind 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

Sorry I neglected this thread for a while.

Many thanks to all who have contributed so far.

OTWO:

Thanks for the "just flip it" advice. I'll try to tuck that technique away for future possible elder inquisitions if I'm still trying to maintain my dub-hood.

This next statement you made is so true, yet it should be a wake-up call to lurking JWs:

"NEVER TRY TO WIN THE ARGUMENT UNLESS YOU WANT TO DA AND WALK OUT THE DOOR."

It's pretty sad when the "opposition" has to keep their mental "hands" tied behind their backs or be thrown out of the ring for apostasy.

hillary_step:

Thank you for gracing this thread with your "JWD Veteran" perspective. All I can do now is go read "re-runs" since it looks like the Watchtower has done a pretty good job at scaring away most of the sheeple.

You really hit the nail on the head here, IMO:

"Of course this presupposes that your audience has at least a little intellectual honesty as even these issues can be imaginatively dealt with by those who wish to defy fact in order to cling to their fiction."

Twitch hit a similar chord:

"I don't see much point in it when both sides have their entrenched views and are only seeking to convert."

Intellectual honesty, IMO, says that there's someone you have to answer to. (And I'm not talking about Sky God either). That someone is always there whenever you look in the mirror. "Is how I'm living my life and view reality convincing to ME?" If someone can show me how my views are wrong, distorted, unhealthy, etc. have at it. I'm always willing to listen. But I'm getting much better at picking up on guilt, fear and blackmail in my old age. (Well, middle-age.)

Sarah Smiles:

"Then have a cold one!"

Seems to be a recurring theme. Perhaps we've stumbled onto a Universal Truth! ;-)

Vernon Williams:

"It is ALL about the POWER OF THE QUESTION"

I'll keep that in mind if I ever mount the jousting horse.

avengers:

I'll definitely be joining you & Nvr in a serious "beer debate". We'll have to get to the "bottom" of the glass, err, issue. Several times. ;-)

dedpoet:

"JW apologists don't come here looking for a debate anyway."

Agreed. I think the closest thing I've seen in recent years is a sincere newbie will occasionally ask an honest question that is troubling them. When asked in that manner, Satan's minions here on JWD are more than happy to assist. (Hey, somebody's gotta do a little JW Apologizin' since the WT scared 'em all off!!)

Terry:

Succinctly stated. As usual. Sure wish I could get my wife to make the "leap" of non-faith in scripture. It would be so much simpler. Unfortunately, I think it's probably too much to ask at once. So I'm forced to patiently go through many gradual steps. Hopefully she'll get there one day.

jesusisgod:

Hmmm. With that username I wonder how you REALLY feel about the Trinity? ;-)

"You must even know the Hebrew and Greek language in the passages and know the full meaning of the writer because you must show the twisting and errors."

Can't go there anymore after the Sept. 07 KM Question Box. Any Hebrew or Greek book lernin' has already been taken care of by the boys in Brooklyn, doncha' know?

Thanks for the reference to that debate, BTW. I'll have a look.

Iron Rod:

"I just don't think fast on my feet. My brain freezes up. "

I resemble that.

Parakeet:

I had second thoughts about saying who I'd like to have back me up on a debate. It's just a variation of the "Who's your favorite poster?"

Soooo many worthy folks and someone invariably gets left out.

Having said all that, de Farkmeister has a special place in my heart. Love his stuff. And if a little gratuitous praise from us can lure him out of JWD semi-retirement, I'm all for it!

Thanks again to everyone!

Open Mind

(of the, I'm a lover not a fighter, class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit