How Would You Do in a Debate Against a Talented JW Apologist?

by Open mind 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

How good of a debater are you?

I was recently reading some old threads on JWD back in the days when a poster named "YouKnow" was here. (2002) He would stand toe-to-toe (or at least he thought he did) with the likes of AlanF, refiners fire, seven006, and many others. He really knew how to push the JW "hot buttons" and would rarely concede anything to his opposers. Don't get me wrong, I think the posters here handed him his head on a platter with brutal regularity and it has been both educational and entertaining to read.

But I'm not that good at debate myself. I have a feeling that if confronted with a hardcore, in-your-face apologist like "YouKnow" that a neutral 3rd party observer might say he won. I tend to "freeze up" when put on the spot and even occasionally find myself going along with a line of JW "reasoning" that a part of my brain knoww is pure, unadulterated, horse puckey.

So..........

How do you think you'd do in a one-on-one live conversation with someone like "YouKnow"? Be honest. Do you think the right JW Elder could manipulate you if it was just the two of you?

Also, any suggestions for improving in the arena of verbal jousting would be appreciated.

Open Mind

p.s. Here's a sample of the kind of fear and guilt "button pushing" YouKnow was famous for if you really want a flavor for how gung-ho he was.

You Know said:

"I am glad that you want to play the peacemaker. That's a good thing. But, the hard reality is that there can be no agreement between Jehovah's Witnesses and those who are apostate Jehovah's Witnesses.

One of the most basic fundamental spiritual truths that one must accept in order to make sense of all this, is that there is a universal controversy that exists in the spirit realm. The controversy I am referring to is between Jehovah God and Satan the Devil.

The book of Genesis reveals that the schism originally developed in the Garden of Eden and has resulted in dividing angels and humans into two seperate camps. If you are familiar with the life of Jesus, you know that he had many confrontations with the Jews and their religious clergymen. The Pharisees were bitterly opposed to Jesus and they spared no effort in trying to entrap him and accuse him before the people. They slandered and reviled him and in the end you know what happened to Jesus. The reason though for such hostility only makes sense in the light of what Jesus said at John 8:44. He asked his opposers why they couldn't listen to him, and he answered his own question by saying: "You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father. That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie." Interestingly, down a few verses, the Jews responded that Jesus was demon possessed.

So, think about that. Here the Son of God comes along and pulls the mask off of Satan and reveals quite a bit about Satan's character and his tactics, as well as his origin. Yet, the Jews accuse Jesus of being the evil one who is possessed by demons! Could anything be more perverse then saying that Jesus was demon possessed? It would not seem so. Jesus warned those of his disciples though that they could expect similar treatment when he told them: 'If they have called the master the Devil, what are they going to call you?'

The point though is that there are these two opposed spiritual forces in the heavenly realm and that the enmity in heaven is reflected down here in various ways. Jesus further revealed that the Devil is really the unseen ruler of this world. That's why it is so messed up. That's why there are so many murders, because the god of this world is a murderer. That's why the world is full of liars and cheats and thieves and con men of every sort because the ruler of this world is a liar and a fraud and his spirit permeates society thru and thru.

Jehovah's Witnesses have been instrummental in teaching the truth about Jehovah and Satan just like Jesus did. Unlike Jesus, though, we have made plenty of mistakes. At Revelation the 12 chapter Satan is called the "accuser of our brothers." But, we shouldn't imagine that Satan's accusation against God's servants are entirely false. The point is: The accusations of XJW's against their former brothers can only be understood in light of Satan's own accusations against us. Apostate JW's are under the Devil's malevolent spirit just like those Jews who found fault wiht Jesus. According to 2 Peter 2:2, referring to those who are apostates, it says: "And on account of these the way of the truth will be spoken of abusively." The XJW'S on this board hope they can poison your mind in order to keep you from knowing the truth. That's what is going on here. / You Know"

And here is one of many good rebuttals. This one was from refiners fire:

"Great argument You Know.
    Just one problem, I have heard Seventh Day Adventists, and Mormons use the same arguement to explain the activities of opposers.
    Thus it does not explain the battle between light and dark,the great Universal "controversy" as Ellen G White called it, but is a convenient arguement used by Totalitarian churches to explain the activities of former members who now oppose.
    If this proves we apostates here are of our father the Devil, then anyone who opposes any church he formerly was a member of is of the Devil."

here's the link if you feel like wading through the whole thing. Turns out this particular thread was started by a troll. But it was still a good thread, IMO.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/18918/3.ashx

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Some JW's really know their scriptural snippets. I think I could tear those down, but they wouldn't see it that way.

Many just know their mantras that answer all questions without any real thought like:
    "The light gets brighter as the day draws nearer"
    "Wait on Jehovah"
    "They are not inspired"
    I could tear them to shreds, but alas, they wouldn't see it that way.

There's a very small percentage that really understand yet believe the doctrine and are able to
    explain and defend it. I certainly would fare badly compared to them.

I have learned that good debating makes you appear more correct to those listening/watching.
    It is only sad because good debating doesn't make your opinion any more correct than bad debating.

• Open mind
    Open mind

OTWO:

It is only sad because good debating doesn't make your opinion any more correct than bad debating.

AMEN Brother!

That's what I LOVE about JWD. It slows things down a notch from a real-time, live debate. Although, even in this forum, a talented JW "keyboard debater" could probably kick my "virtual posterior". Doesn't make them right. Just a better debater.

More thoughts?

Open Mind

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I would not fare well.

I give up too easily.

I hate fighting.

If I can use humor or sarcasm to help someone to think, good.

But I have no interest in doing battle with these deluded idiots.

I often ignore such debates because i was so immersed in all that Watchtower mumbo-jumbo for so long, it's the last thing I want to see now.

I'd much rather discuss politics, the very evident absence of God, booze, music, or how to help someone who's feeling down.

You know, stuff that really matters.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

One reason why I simply use things that the Bethel lawyers and Governing Body members sign.

Court papers, UN applications, etc.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

For what it is worth, "YouKnow" later became "eWatchman, aka Robert King, author of "Jehovah Has Become King." I just thought you'd want to know that if you didn't already.

Mr. King *IS* seeking followers and lackies, if you'd care to apply.

Mr. King is of normal intelligence and is dedicated to his fantasy; he is also absolutely wrong in all of his theological conclusions, in my opinion, as are all theists. There is no spirit realm, there is no SkyDaddy, there is no issue of universal sovreignty, no redemption, no salvation, no resurrection, no Paradise.

• Open mind
    Open mind

If I had to pick a couple of "seconds" to back me up on a real time verbal joust "Moshe" and "GaryBuss" would be right at the top of my list of JWD possibles.

I'm expanding this thread to include what posters you think would be good at "kicking butt and taking names" verbally.

Who am I kidding, if Moshe & Gary Buss were there, I'd just grab a beer with Nvr and watch the fireworks!!!

Open Mind

• Open mind
    Open mind

Nathan Natas:

"YouKnow" later became "eWatchman".

Nope. Haven't dug that far. Thanks.

If you know of any other notable old-time JW Apologists, I'd appreciate a heads up. Not to be a lackey, but to observe the swordplay.

Oh, yeah, and I'm thinking Nathan Natas would probably be a good debater too. What say you Nathan?

Open Mind

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I like how FunkyD, Abaddon, hillary_step and AlanF break it down.

Onacruse is cool too, though he's not around much.

Sorry if I'm overlooking someone.

Oh this serotonin dude has been doing well also.

This just in from Nathan Natas on one of JCanon's bullshit threads...

Jesus Christ (in the guiseof JCanon) said,

In other words, I happen to know the modern identities of two famous Biblical characters, that of Daniel and Peter! Who have been resurrected into the bodies of modern people.

Kind of like how the Tibetans know who the next Dalai Lama tulku is, no?

You and the Tibetans are equally full of it.

Alpha Omega, a self-professed and rather open-minded Christian, is good at putting the really pompous, you-all-can-go-to-hell Christians in their place.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I'd much rather discuss politics, the very evident absence of God, booze, music, or how to help someone who's feeling down.

You know, stuff that really matters.

Couldn't have put it better myself nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit